PDA

View Full Version : Good Source For Rebuilt Engines?

marklj
10-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Wife ran it overheating until it would not run anymore. Tore it down and engine is toast with scored cylinder walls.

Weighing the options… 1988 Accord DX 5 speed. Body and interior in good shape. 125K on the odometer. Google searches are showing $1600.00 – $1700.00 for a rebuilt engine.

Does anyone here know of a reasonable and reliable source for rebuilt engines that they can recommend?

Josh89accord
10-20-2008, 06:43 PM
www.asapmotors.com This is where I got my a20a3 and the thing is in great condition.

88Accord-DX
10-20-2008, 07:12 PM
The cheapest I could find is $700 long block in this link.
http://www.jisautoengine.com/honda-acura-long-block.html
(which requires $300 core deposit & around $200 round trip shipping)

It cost me over $1000 in parts & money to rebuild mine myself.

Also, you could get a used engine for a lot less. There are some local engines around GA, possibly one with low miles in this link. Just punch in you zip code in. The shipping would be around $100 verses a core deposit & $200 shipping. If you go get it the better.

http://car-part.com/

jdmaccordnut
10-20-2008, 07:33 PM
I think you'd be cheaper to just go to a junkyard and yank an engine for $75-150.

Dr_Snooz
10-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Avoid these guys: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64965&highlight=engine+world+llc

MessyHonda
10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
paeco makes engines for us...but they are performance engines.

marklj
10-21-2008, 05:45 AM
The cheapest I could find is $700 long block in this link.
http://www.jisautoengine.com/honda-acura-long-block.html
(which requires $300 core deposit & around $200 round trip shipping)

$700 with $200 for shipping. That sounds fairly reasonable. I would prefer a rebuilt versus a used one. A used one may run, but you never know how it was taken care of.

Have you installed or known of a J.I.S engine installed? Any snags? Thanks for your insight.

FWIW – I used to be ASE certified, but it was years ago. I have a lot of respect for the ASE certifications. :cheers:

carotman
10-21-2008, 07:13 AM
I know you could get a lower milleage JDM A20A for cheap.

88Accord-DX
10-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Have you installed or known of a J.I.S engine installed? Any snags? Thanks

I personally haven't installed any or known anyone that has. I look at the site pretty good. They been in business for about 20 years & specialize in Japanese engines & parts. It says you need a business address with a loading dock or forklift for a shipping quote. Or they can get it to the closest terminal for pick up.
If you do go that route with them, pay attention to getting the core back in 30 days. I'd have the core ready when you pick it up. I seen they have a 6 month or 6,000 warranty.

Also, get rid of that stock carb & get a weber. It is much easier than fooling with that dying octopus for a carburetor on these cars.

FWIW- I hope to have my master ASE license by next May.
:cheers:

skittlez
10-25-2008, 09:14 PM
jasper is another good one. very pricey but its a quality engine.their whole thing is that they are better than rebuilt because anything that doesnt have to be reused wont be, even if it is within spec. i know a few people who have them and they love it. but i think they are overrated, you can probably get the same thing cheaper.

marklj
10-27-2008, 08:00 AM
jasper is another good one. very pricey but its a quality engine.their whole thing is that they are better than rebuilt because anything that doesnt have to be reused wont be, even if it is within spec. i know a few people who have them and they love it. but i think they are overrated, you can probably get the same thing cheaper.

Ouch!:omg:

The Price Is: $2606.00
Core Deposit For This Unit Is: $180.00
Skid Deposit For This Unit Is: $15.00
Sold On An Exchange Basis w/Jasper Receiving Old Unit As A Core.

But, 3 year/100,000 mile nationwide, transferable warranty.

skittlez
10-27-2008, 02:58 PM
haha yeah that sounds like a jasper price

jpetrovic
10-29-2008, 01:05 PM
But, 3 year/100,000 mile nationwide, transferable warranty. they MUST make quality engine rebuilds with that kinda warranty,

88Accord-DX
10-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Jasper is one of the best out there. They have a good track record for quality. You pay for what you get, pretty much a new engine. On a side note, Advance auto has rebuilt engines along with a few other auto parts stores such as Autozone & O'rielly's. I wouldn't buy one from Autozone though.

Kabuki
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM

That's ridiculous. $575 buys a complete overhaul kit from me. That's including all of the belts, new clutch, gaskets, seals, rings, bearings, everything. At retail pricing. Where were you buying your parts? NAPA or something?

Honestly, we don't recommend bothering with rebuilt engines. They are far more expensive than they need to be. Just get a good used engine, if you aren't interested in overhauling it yourself.

88Accord-DX
10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
That's ridiculous. Where were you buying your parts? NAPA or something?

The price included all the machining I had done. I bored my block out .040 & had the head rebuilt with new parts that didn't pass tests & specs. The price also included all the other various parts (water pump, tensioner, etc) I felt needed replaced because I didn't want to have to mess with any problems for a LONG time. The price adds up pretty quick if you want a quality rebuild. I got parts from the dealer & Napa.

rfiks
10-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I know you could get a lower milleage JDM A20A for cheap.

:werd:

Kabuki
10-31-2008, 09:06 PM
The price included all the machining I had done. I bored my block out .040 & had the head rebuilt with new parts that didn't pass tests & specs. The price also included all the other various parts (water pump, tensioner, etc) I felt needed replaced because I didn't want to have to mess with any problems for a LONG time. The price adds up pretty quick if you want a quality rebuild. I got parts from the dealer & Napa.

I quoted OEM parts, not NAPA shit. Including the pump, tensioners, etc. And boring it out 0.5mm (these are Japanese cars. Use real measurements!) over is not just a rebuild. You are talking majorly fucked up A20A, right there. Or performance increase. Not just a "rebuild so it goes 100K more". Most of the time, you can simply remove the head, pistons, and rods. The hone the cylinders, and replace everything going back together. Even just hand lapping the valves will get you a solid motor for another 100K miles.

Hauntd ca3
10-31-2008, 11:11 PM
Honestly, we don't recommend bothering with rebuilt engines. They are far more expensive than they need to be.

I honestly think that a second hand motor is just a stop gap while you do a full rebuild on your existing motor
even if the 2nd hand one has a warranty its still a lucky dip.
a good recon place will be able to build a fresh one inside of a week

Dr_Snooz
11-01-2008, 06:44 AM
After my last engine fiasco, I'll never do anything other than my own rebuild. For any engine swap (new, rebuilt, used), you'll spend a lot on all the seals and gaskets you need to do the swap, plus all your labor. If you stick in an engine somebody else built, you won't know if it's blown up until you've sunk all that money. If it does turn out to be screwed, the chances are you'll just end up driving around on a different bad engine after spending a lot of money on it (just like I'm doing).

Forget it, I'll never trust anyone but my own dumb self anymore.

MessyHonda
11-08-2008, 09:36 AM
paeco makes engines for us...but they are performance engines.

hehe....they say the stage 1 engine is rated for like 201hp

cygnus x-1
11-08-2008, 10:03 AM
hehe....they say the stage 1 engine is rated for like 201hp

There is a guy over on Preludepower that bought a Paeco engine awhile back. I don't think he's been all that happy with it either. As I recall the bottom end is ok but their head work wasn't so great. It was expensive too.

C|

clint999
11-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Jasper is one of the best out there. They have a good track record for quality. You pay for what you get, pretty much a new engine. On a side note, Advance auto has rebuilt engines along with a few other auto parts stores such as Autozone & O'rielly's. I wouldn't buy one from Autozone though.

chowder
11-11-2008, 07:58 PM
u think asap is probably one of the best places you could go