PDA

View Full Version : bleeder screws

import racer
10-22-2008, 06:17 AM
does anyone know what size the bleeder screws are for my sei.i called honda and they said they're all the san=me size ,but they look like diff to me.

snoopyloopy
10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
lol wut
they should be same size between 88-89 lx-i and se-i since they use same calipers/rotors in front. not sure about between 86-87 lx-i/lx/dx and lx-i/se-i.

russiankid
10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Are you trying to get bleeders for the rear or front? I know that both my rear calipers are the same as the front's on my LX.

import racer
10-23-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm trying to find both front and back,i ordered a set for front from carquest.They said they had the back ones in stock.the old ones were chewed up and the holes were pluged with rust.the rear calipers were nseized and had to heat them and remove with vise grips.I'm gonna rebuild them when i can afford to.the pistons for both will cost the same as one rebuilt caliper.not sure how hard they'll be to put in .

russiankid
10-23-2008, 04:05 PM
The rear pistons screw out. I spent $30 to rebuild both my rear calipers. My pistons were in good shape.

import racer
10-24-2008, 06:56 PM
yeah my pistons are pitted up pretty bad,honda wants like 60.00 each here.still cheaper than 130.00 each for calipers though,how hard is it to put the pistons and seal in?

Blaaz
11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
I just changed the rotors and pads on my LXi. The front bleeder screws were 10 mm, the rears (drum brakes) were 8 mm.

lostforawhile
11-08-2008, 05:39 PM
if you are going to replace them,go to advance or autozone and get the speed bleeder bleed screws,that's the brand name, they will make bleeding your brakes a whole lot eaisier they will be eithier an eight or a ten mm

codyJDM
11-08-2008, 05:41 PM
yeah my pistons are pitted up pretty bad,honda wants like 60.00 each here.still cheaper than 130.00 each for calipers though,how hard is it to put the pistons and seal in?

It's really easy, I actually just done doing it to my LX-i 88-89 front brakes.

Just make sure to thoroughly clean everything with brake cleaner, and remove any rust or buildup in the piston/cylinder walls with extremely fine steel wool.

lostforawhile
11-08-2008, 05:45 PM
It's really easy, I actually just done doing it to my LX-i 88-89 front brakes.

Just make sure to thoroughly clean everything with brake cleaner, and remove any rust or buildup in the piston/cylinder walls with extremely fine steel wool.are they aluminum pistons or steel? you shouldn't use steel wool on anything let alone aluminum,it inbeds metal particles which cause corroision of the aluminum. use emory paper or crocus cloth

Dr_Snooz
11-08-2008, 07:04 PM
if you are going to replace them,go to advance or autozone and get the speed bleeder bleed screws,that's the brand name, they will make bleeding your brakes a whole lot eaisier they will be eithier an eight or a ten mm

I've never seen those before. Look pretty cool though. I might pick up a set.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

lostforawhile
11-08-2008, 07:35 PM
I've never seen those before. Look pretty cool though. I might pick up a set.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/
they eliminate the need for an extra person to pump the brake pedal

codyJDM
11-08-2008, 07:51 PM

Sounds bad ass to me.

lostforawhile
11-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Sounds bad ass to me.you connect a hose to them,then open the bleeder screw,they have a check valve to keep air out

Civic Accord Honda
11-08-2008, 09:22 PM
yep get speed bleeders

DBMaster
11-08-2008, 10:59 PM

So does one of these...

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=MITYVAC&ID=1432126&ref=GB

I only chose this site to show the product. I bought mine at Auto Zone several years ago. The vacuum pump can be used to actuate vacuum powered items on the car for testing as well. You can also use it to empty the master cylinder. Bleeding the brakes is much faster if you replace the fluid in the M/C first then bleed at the wheels.

Civic Accord Honda
11-09-2008, 12:32 AM
So does one of these...

I only chose this site to show the product. I bought mine at Auto Zone several years ago. The vacuum pump can be used to actuate vacuum powered items on the car for testing as well. You can also use it to empty the master cylinder. Bleeding the brakes is much faster if you replace the fluid in the M/C first then bleed at the wheels.
oh now thats sweet! i must get that as its cheaper then buying speed bleeders for every car i own haah

so thanks for the link man :D is it any cheeper at autozone btw?

Dr_Snooz
11-09-2008, 07:02 AM
So does one of these...

I'd be curious to know how you get that vacuum pump to work. I've tried it on two different cars and each time, the pump pulled air around the bleeder screw, but no brake fluid out of the system.

lostforawhile
11-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I'd be curious to know how you get that vacuum pump to work. I've tried it on two different cars and each time, the pump pulled air around the bleeder screw, but no brake fluid out of the system.did you open the bleeder screws first? and you need a resovoir for the fluid to go into,you can't just suck it up into the pump,or it will ruin the pump seals. there is a specific brake bleeding kit that is made for a hand vaccume pump.

DBMaster
11-09-2008, 11:15 AM
The kit I bought was about the same $30 as it is online. It comes with the reservoir, plenty of clear hose (You could get more at Home Depot if you wanted it longer), and various size fittings for the bleeder screws. There are two important things to keep in mind when you are using it. Number One is open the cap on the master cylinder. You need to vent the system for rapid bleeding. Also, use the fitting that snaps onto your bleeder screws. The front ones are bigger than the back ones on my car. You loosen the bleeder screw just enough to allow fluid through it, but not so much that the vacuum pump will suck air around the threads. It's really easy to use and makes the job almost a no-brainer. It was definitely one of my more useful tool purchases.

Dr_Snooz
11-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, tried all that. No dice. Just got a lot of carbonated brake fluid. I'm thinking I'll try the speed bleeders.