PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything..

chowder
10-22-2008, 06:24 AM
about doing a 6spd sequential tranny, i have some big ideas for when my pockets get a little deeper was wondering what anyone has tried

ghettogeddy
10-22-2008, 06:33 AM
about doing a 6spd sequential tranny, i have some big ideas for when my pockets get a little deeper was wondering what anyone has tried

nope not that im aware lol i dont think there would even be room for one
let alone enough engine to utilize it i say save your money in savings and leave it there for your future

84Accord
10-22-2008, 07:16 AM

you could probably change the gears in the tranny and add an overdrive to get you 6 speeds

chowder
10-22-2008, 09:58 AM
you could probably change the gears in the tranny and add an overdrive to get you 6 speeds

yea but more so the sequential would probably require a whole new housing for the tranny and a completely different tuning set up because its not in the H format

1ajs
10-22-2008, 10:23 AM
5th gear is actualy an overdrive on our trany's

MessyHonda
10-22-2008, 11:58 PM
5th gear is actualy an overdrive on our trany's

yeah 4th gear is like 1:1 ratio and 5th gear is overdrive.

cygnus x-1
10-23-2008, 08:27 AM
No idea on the 6spd. Sounds like a lot of work for not much benefit. It would almost be easier to find a different engine that already bolts up to a 6spd and just do a swap.

On the A20 (and A18) boxes 4th and 5th are technically overdrive. Depending on which version 4th is about 0.93:1 and 5th is 0.77:1. The term "overdrive" doesn't really mean anything though since the engine speed is always reduced by the final drive in order to drive the wheels. You could have all the gears be "overdrive" but then go to a really huge final drive ratio and get the same thing. It would be kinda silly but it could be done.

C|

evil88accordLX
10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
6 speed/K20 swap! okay ill shut up now...

MessyHonda
10-23-2008, 01:18 PM
6 speed/K20 swap! okay ill shut up now...

yummmm

chowder
10-23-2008, 01:48 PM
yea but the sequential is way faster than the H format so even swapping out an engine that bolts to a normal 6spd would still require a custom built sequential just doing it with a an a20a1 would just be more awesome, im gonna like completely rebuild an a20a1

MessyHonda
10-23-2008, 02:26 PM
just get a short shifter with integera gears....i have it and i think its quick...i just wish i had more hp on my engine...120whp...its not cuting it for me anymore...rebuild to come down the road

chowder
10-23-2008, 05:10 PM
ordering a lower mileage a20a1 down the road and doing a 4barrel carb and supercharger and custom just about everything in the car from aluminum block, forged pistons, new cooling system and suspension parts to deal with the intense speeds this car will travel. call me stupid but its a big science project so ill try to see what i can do with this racing engine and get this 6spd sequential racing tranny. shift speed ftw

Ichiban
10-23-2008, 05:34 PM
No idea on the 6spd. Sounds like a lot of work for not much benefit. It would almost be easier to find a different engine that already bolts up to a 6spd and just do a swap.

On the A20 (and A18) boxes 4th and 5th are technically overdrive. Depending on which version 4th is about 0.93:1 and 5th is 0.77:1. The term "overdrive" doesn't really mean anything though since the engine speed is always reduced by the final drive in order to drive the wheels. You could have all the gears be "overdrive" but then go to a really huge final drive ratio and get the same thing. It would be kinda silly but it could be done.

C|

Yeah, anything less than 1:1 is overdrive. The old school trannys simply coupled the input and output shafts together for 1:1, or "drive". Overdrive was introduced as this magical device, usually found grafted on to an existing 3 or 4 speed tranny to get that extra gear. Love how lazy Detroit was, rather than redesign a transmission, just add a blob to the side of it. My 4 speed toyota truck tranny lacks an overdrive, 4th is just 1:1. In this gear, the countershaft and guts are just along for the ride. I'm thinking the reason for this is it eliminates a whole bunch of parts that would otherwise be needed to make another actual reduction "gear".

None of this probably makes any sense to anyone, either.

evil88accordLX
10-23-2008, 08:36 PM
ordering a lower mileage a20a1 down the road and doing a 4barrel carb and supercharger and custom just about everything in the car from aluminum block, forged pistons, new cooling system and suspension parts to deal with the intense speeds this car will travel. call me stupid but its a big science project so ill try to see what i can do with this racing engine and get this 6spd sequential racing tranny. shift speed ftw

why bother buying a used engine if you have custom everything, including the block?

chowder
10-23-2008, 09:36 PM
drive it while i rebuild the motor i order

labeledsk8r
10-23-2008, 10:16 PM
one question... how do you get an aluminumk block on a cast iron engine???

and i agree with others going 6 speed is going to be a waste on this car

evil88accordLX
10-23-2008, 10:30 PM
keep the cast iron block. you will be happier in the long run if something breaks.