PDA

View Full Version : It's time to say good bye

my89LXihatch
10-22-2008, 09:01 AM
On Monday 10/20/2008 My daughter was in an accident. That pretty much ended the life of my 89 Hatch. Being as the car was totalled I will not be checking in as much as before.I am dissappointed with what happened because I really liked this car. Thanks for all the advice,tips and help. I had the car running really good because of the help. Thanks again for everything.:sadwave:

nswst8
10-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Sorry to hear that, go get another one.

1ajs
10-22-2008, 09:49 AM
sad news man but ur daughter is ok right thats all that matters and shows the car did its job cheers

rip another hatchie :'(

carotman
10-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Yup, as long as your daughter is fine it's all that counts.

What are you going to do with the car? Maybe some members could use a few parts off of it before you junk it.

2oodoor
10-22-2008, 09:52 AM
sad news man but ur daughter is ok right thats all that matters and shows the car did its job cheers

rip another hatchie :'(

ditto
I didnt even know you were here, I usually pick up on GA members. Try to find another one!!

1ajs
10-22-2008, 09:56 AM
ditto
I didnt even know you were here, I usually pick up on GA members. Try to find another one!!
lol i didn't even know he was here either theres been a bunch of members that joined in the last 2 yrs coming outs the mill work latly

MessyHonda
10-22-2008, 11:56 PM
oh man...good thing she made it i thought are cars were not all that safe

my89LXihatch
10-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the concern. She is fine. As far as the the car. The Insurance for the other drive involved(her fault) is taking car of the car. Probally going to the local insurance salvage yard. To be perfectally honest. The old Honda handled the accident pretty good. My daughter had a cut on her head and some bruises, But considering this car had know air bags she came out fine. I would love to have another. I remeber back in the bay when they came out. I wanted one so bad. I t was a good car.

Dr_Snooz
10-23-2008, 07:17 AM
oh man...good thing she made it i thought are cars were not all that safe

Oddly enough, the 3g gets Good to Excellent marks for crash test worthiness: http://www.crashtest.com/honda/ie.htm

Makes me feel a lot better, but still I wouldn't want to go toe to toe with an H2.

*Gulp*

Glad to hear your daughter is okay.

evil88accordLX
10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Oddly enough, the 3g gets Good to Excellent marks for crash test worthiness: http://www.crashtest.com/honda/ie.htm

Makes me feel a lot better, but still I wouldn't want to go toe to toe with an H2.

*Gulp*

Glad to hear your daughter is okay.

yes they are. my family and i were rearended while sitting still by a VW Thing doing 55mph. the lady in the Thing left in an ambulance and her car was towed. we drove home.
glad to here your daughter is okay.

Dr_Snooz
10-23-2008, 01:06 PM
yes they are. my family and i were rearended while sitting still by a VW Thing doing 55mph. the lady in the Thing left in an ambulance and her car was towed. we drove home.
glad to here your daughter is okay.

OMG the VW Thing is my favorite! It's my desktop wallpaper right now!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2oodoor
10-23-2008, 01:37 PM
OMG the VW Thing is my favorite! It's my desktop wallpaper right now!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

sarcastic? I seriously liked the Thing

RamThis
10-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Wow 89 glad to hear your daugher is safe. I dread the day I get called when one of mine are in an accident or hurt in some way. Sad to see a car destroyed but you kid's life is worth immeasurable amounts more.

As for the 3G, just keep an eye out on Craigslist and eBay. I've been actively looking for months now and just today struck a deal on one that fit my criteria and price. Just takes a while and being patient, and not jumping at the first good deal you find unless it's exactly what you want. Trust me I almost jumped on a deal a month ago but had to convince myself not to since it wasnt exactly what I wanted. Im glad I had the self control to say no thanks and keep looking. Hoping I still feel that way when I go to see/pickup the car on Saturday LOL......

my89LXihatch
10-24-2008, 08:28 AM
As it turns out I luck out when I found this one. It had low mileage, Looked new, Well cared for and had all maintance receipt from the dealer. It had 130,000 miles on it 1 1/2 yrs ago when I got it. All it cost me was a 96 Explorer with 125,000 miles. Traded even. I wasn't really looking. I have always gotten the best deals on cars when not really looking to buy.

RamThis
10-24-2008, 08:32 PM
As it turns out I luck out when I found this one. It had low mileage, Looked new, Well cared for and had all maintance receipt from the dealer. It had 130,000 miles on it 1 1/2 yrs ago when I got it. All it cost me was a 96 Explorer with 125,000 miles. Traded even. I wasn't really looking. I have always gotten the best deals on cars when not really looking to buy.

I always run across the best deals when I dont have a penny to my name. When I got a load of cash saved up, I cant find anything decent to save my life. Just how my life seems to work for some reason lol. I kinda feel like I got lucky with this car, we'll see how lucky I feel tomorrow though when I go to pick it up!!

Any pics of the deceased 3G?

w261w261
10-25-2008, 04:38 AM

Our cars may have pretty good front and maybe rear end collision protection, but they're still 2800 lbs and light, compared to the SUV world. And from the side? Fogeddaboudit! I drive mine exactly how I ride my bike, which is a lot different than how I drive a larger car. With the lack of airbags, and no side protection, I would think twice about setting up a new driver in a 3G.

jdmaccordnut
10-25-2008, 10:30 AM
A 3G is probably safer than a more modern car that has a lot more power and speed though.

2oodoor
10-25-2008, 10:53 AM
A 3G is probably safer than a more modern car that has a lot more power and speed though.

not sure where you are coming from but, if the seat belt is worn I think they are just as safe as a 9x Civic with airbags, if not safer.
Will I turn my teenager loose in a 3rd gen, absolutely. Just like anyone would back in 87 when these were new, they were one of the safest cars on the road. Think about it, there was some real junk on the road back then. Heavy junk with crappy brakes and steering. One of the important things to consider is accident avoidance manouvers and how the vehicle reacts, predictablity. Not just impact resistance.
Anyone seen how these suv's and pick up's are built, they have no radiator supports. When you smack something head on with one, the entire sheet metal is totaled to the firewall in even minor impacts.

ghettogeddy
10-25-2008, 10:53 AM
i know i could use some parts whats good

jdmaccordnut
10-25-2008, 12:30 PM
not sure where you are coming from but, if the seat belt is worn I think they are just as safe as a 9x Civic with airbags, if not safer.
Will I turn my teenager loose in a 3rd gen, absolutely. Just like anyone would back in 87 when these were new, they were one of the safest cars on the road. Think about it, there was some real junk on the road back then. Heavy junk with crappy brakes and steering. One of the important things to consider is accident avoidance manouvers and how the vehicle reacts, predictablity. Not just impact resistance.
Anyone seen how these suv's and pick up's are built, they have no radiator supports. When you smack something head on with one, the entire sheet metal is totaled to the firewall in even minor impacts.

I meant that a 3G isn't very fast. Stock. A lot of cars I see kids driving around in are just ... well... very CAPABLE cars... I mean, almost any newer car has a lot more power, and a lot higher top speed. I'm sure that all of us did top speed runs when we were young and stupid, in a car that was less than perfect. I've seen 16 yr olds driving 350Zs, Corrado SLCs, chipped 1.8Ts, WRXs, etc.... they always crash at high speed.

2oodoor
10-25-2008, 01:02 PM
yes I see your point, I was going to mention something to that effect. They would know the limitations of the car more so than those you mention. There is really not many places to push those to the limit without breaking your neck (or somebody else's)

Dr_Snooz
10-25-2008, 09:15 PM
One of the important things to consider is accident avoidance manouvers and how the vehicle reacts, predictablity. Not just impact resistance.

Couldn't agree more. Every SUV driver I know talks about how much better all that bulk would be in a crash. I always think about how rollovers have a much higher likelihood of fatality. I like having a small, quick car to wriggle out of harm's way fast.

RamThis
10-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Personally, If I were to be in a wreck, I'd want to be in my Ram or my 06 4Runner. I'd hella hate to get whacked in my 3G lol. Mostly because it does not have much mass, meaning if you get hit by a full size truck or SUV, it's going to send most of the crash force and G-load through your vehicle. The heavy mass of the larger vehicle will take longer to slow, while the lighter mass will have already stopped, and reversed direction at the moment of impact. Huge G-levels in a hit like that.

I feel that, at least in my Ram or 4Runner, I am pretty equal to most of the idiots on the road, and the other idiots in small cars, well, they will get the short end of the stick when the impact occurs.

I just hope to never have to place my hypothesis into a real life demonstration!!!!

Dr_Snooz
10-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Personally, If I were to be in a wreck, I'd want to be in my Ram or my 06 4Runner. I'd hella hate to get whacked in my 3G lol. Mostly because it does not have much mass, meaning if you get hit by a full size truck or SUV, it's going to send most of the crash force and G-load through your vehicle. The heavy mass of the larger vehicle will take longer to slow, while the lighter mass will have already stopped, and reversed direction at the moment of impact. Huge G-levels in a hit like that.

I feel that, at least in my Ram or 4Runner, I am pretty equal to most of the idiots on the road, and the other idiots in small cars, well, they will get the short end of the stick when the impact occurs.

I just hope to never have to place my hypothesis into a real life demonstration!!!!

Yep. That's rationale exactly. Just don't try to swerve...

russiankid
10-26-2008, 10:14 AM

I feel kind of the same way. My 3g compared to my BMW is a feather. I feel much safer in my BMW which weights roughly 3900lbs.

my89LXihatch
10-27-2008, 08:33 AM
The car is been released to the Insurance company handling the claim. Sorry.

Civic Accord Honda
10-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I always run across the best deals when I dont have a penny to my name. When I got a load of cash saved up, I cant find anything decent to save my life. Just how my life seems to work for some reason lol. I kinda feel like I got lucky with this car, we'll see how lucky I feel tomorrow though when I go to pick it up!!

Any pics of the deceased 3G?
yeah same here just saw a 1990 honda accord pop up for $250 new timing belt brakes just needed alternator and rear tires (one day rebuild had over 300k miles but still f engines are cheap) decent rust free body just sold today and in 2weeks i could of bought it =/ and i bet there will be nothing in that price renge when i have the money