PDA

View Full Version : A/C oil capacity?

nswst8
10-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Okay guys, alittle help needed in calculating the the correct oil charge.

This is word for word out of the Honda manual.

6. Add refrigerant oil after replacing the falling parts:

Condenser........................... 30 cc (1 fl oz)
Evaporator........................... 30 cc (1 fl oz)
Line or hose......................... 10 cc (1/3 fl oz)
Receiver.............................. 10 cc (1/3 fl oz)
Compressor......................... When a new compressor is installed, drain 30 cc (1 fl oz) of refrigerant oil out of the suction fitting on the compressor, unless you are replacing any of the above parts. Then pro-rate the amount you drain by the amount you should add for the other part(s).

Now I know that a new compressor (Keihin 4-cyl / Nippondenso 10-cyl) has 2.5 fluid ounces.

How do you all interpret this information? :help:

evil88accordLX
10-23-2008, 11:16 AM
seems to me its just telling you how much to add per part replaced. but this sentence makes no sense: then pro-rate the amount you drain you should add for the other part(s). is there a word or two missing? also, is the capasity of the new and old compressors the same? if so, then shouldnt the whole entire volume of oil in the system be 5.1 fluid ounces? or does the compressor size dictate the amount of oil the system requires?

nswst8
10-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Its typed word for word. I've got to be the slowest typest in the world. Where I have to look back after every word.

I'm getting just over 4 ounces. If you subtract 1oz for installing new compressor then add other part(s)

Or should it be 2.5 ounces for the entire systems?

Oops: corrected sentence.

Then pro-rate the amount you drain by the amount you should add for the other part(s).

Dr_Snooz
10-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah, good luck with that one. When I converted, I too was like :wtf:???

I ended up putting in 3 oz. That was about 4 years ago and it's still real quiet.

Wal-Mart does sell 3 oz. pressurized cans of oil added like freon through your gauges. If you don't get enough, you can always add more that way.

nswst8
10-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Well, thank goodness. I thought I was the only one having trouble with this.