PDA

View Full Version : Cold Idle Adjustment Screw (I'm filthy and tired of searching)

l75eya
10-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Ok, I've been trying to find a diagram of the locations of all the idle adjustment screws, I know where the throttle stop screw is, that's obvious enough, I'm assuming the big ass black knob that's behind the carb and kind of inset into it is the idle adjustment knob, what I don't know is where the cold idle adjustment screw is, I've found many threads saying "this thread has a diagram of the locations of all the screws" and all the links are dead. I'm really dirty and I've been searching for awhile and would really like it if somebody could just tell me where it is lol.
Just to recap
The screw attached to the throttle cable is obviously the throttle stop screw
The big ass black knob, that's the idle adjustment knob right?
There's another screw that's facing outward on the driver's side of the carb, it's adjusted to linkage which I'm assuming is the choke linkage, not sure though, what is that screw? And **please** where is the cold idle adjustment screw? lol thank you

***edit
I went and looked at that last screw I mentioned that I wasn't sure what it was for
It's attached to linkage that leads into a hub of four vacuum lines, and also on the back of this hub there's another small screw
Is this the cold idle adjustment screw? Thanks again!

nswst8
10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Hang tight, I'm sure one of the Carb guys will be along.

russiankid
10-23-2008, 12:27 PM
From what I know, there isn't a screw to adjust the idle. The high idle works off the choke linkage. There is a small plate that drops down to the area where the throttle cable attaches to. This plate has 3 notches. It locks the throttle in a certain position until the coil for the choke moves. Once it moves, you tap the gas, and it drops the linkage to the next notch which lowers the idle. This happens 3 times until it goes to normal idle.

If you aren't going into high idle, I would check all of your linkages. Make sure your coil is operating correctly because if it isn't it won't move the linkages which in return won't put the carb into high idle.

I circled it in red, here. Let me know if you need clearer pictures. I have a spare carb so getting pics isn't an problem.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/S6301914.jpg

2oodoor
10-23-2008, 12:54 PM
most people want to turn it down not turn it up !

What are you trying to do?

russiankid
10-23-2008, 01:00 PM
To turn it down wouldn't you have to remove the linkage and file down the notch's?

Actually, when its really cold outside, having this high idle is good because the car warms up really quick.

l75eya
10-23-2008, 01:20 PM
w00t to the carb guys!
Thanks a lot for all the responses, they're truly priceless, and any and all pictures are extremely welcome and I'm grateful for them. Everything on this car is such a pain in the ass to locate (IE: Trans fluid dipstick lmao)
The car high idles fine when it's cold, it idles a little low, around 2k I want it to idle around 2,500. Basically all I'm doing is adjusting everything to fine tune it all, it's not idling horribly, but a little low when warmed up, which I just took care of.
I was wondering though, does anybody know what the screw I mentioned is for? The one that leads into a vacuum hub? Maybe it's the a/c idle adj.?
Once again thanks a bunch for all the responses =) I love this site lol it's the only place I actually get help that helps.

russiankid
10-23-2008, 01:24 PM
If its located on the side on the fuel line then its for the A/C. When the engine is cold, pump the gas once or twice. Don't start the engine, but go over to the throttle cable side and locate the linkage i circled in the pic. It should be locked on the highest(3rd) notch.

l75eya
10-24-2008, 02:27 PM
If its located on the side on the fuel line then its for the A/C. When the engine is cold, pump the gas once or twice. Don't start the engine, but go over to the throttle cable side and locate the linkage i circled in the pic. It should be locked on the highest(3rd) notch.

Hey thanks a lot for the info and the pic, I also have a 1970 nova that sets a cold idle when you start it and I assumed the honda was the same way; with the nova to kick it down you have to stab the gas to the floor real quick and let off for it to disengage, what you told me realize that with the honda though all you have to do is just lightly tap it to kick it down lol. That'll save me some gas in the mornings = ) lmao

Thanks again!

russiankid
10-24-2008, 02:48 PM
You don't even have to raise the RPM's to kick it down. You just press the pedal slightly which relieves the tension off the drop down lever and then the coil for the choke moves it.

:rockon: