PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Gasket, anyone done it?

Stew
09-25-2002, 05:29 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm a returning member (just brought the accord back out of storage for winter early because I blew up my Mustang).

The ole accord is leaking from the pan gasket. This is probably sue to my neglecting it all summer and not circulating the fluids.

I'm wondering how big a job this is to do.

I noticed there is a cross member in the way of the pan, will i need to support the engine bfore unbolting it?

Any tips or tricks?

Lastly, do I use silicone on the gasket, or does it go on dry?.

Thanks

Mantis88LX
09-25-2002, 08:19 AM
i though our accords just had drain bolts? are u sure its leaking from the oil pan? maybe it has a hold in it somewere?

87accordlxph
09-25-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
i though our accords just had drain bolts? are u sure its leaking from the oil pan? maybe it has a hold in it somewere?

Yea, is it the oil pan gasket itself or the drain bolt?
Sorry, haven't done one of those yet nor do I really want to do all that. If it's just the drain bolt gasket seal then somebody stripped the bolt and/or drain bolt hole. You can repair this by buying a new bolt or if the bolt is ok, then buy a composite washer from AUTOZONE and use the composite washer instead of the genuine honda one.
BTW, this composite washer has rubber in the middle and steel surrounding it.

Works for me.

-Mike

SQ is the SQUAD
09-25-2002, 10:57 AM
i took off the crossmember, it is not reall holdinbg anything i think its the "incase" a motor mount fails. youll have to take off the cross member and the flywheel cover to get to all the screws for the oil pan. you should change the oil pan gasket regerdless cuz its only like $15

YK86
09-25-2002, 11:01 AM
It's a real bitch. I've done it three times on Honda's and it's not fun. You need to remove the crossmember, the flywheel/drive plate cover, the front support piece that goes from the bottom of the engine to the side of the tranny, and move the downpipe out of the way. I would clean the gasket surface real nice so the gasket doesn't keep slipping off like it did for me the first time I did it. Use some of the gasket maker on the side humps.

smufguy
09-25-2002, 11:27 AM
so all this comes down to one thing. Cross your fingers and pray its not ur oil pan gasket. and yeah, have fun stripping the bolts. hehe, just kidding.

shepherd79
09-25-2002, 12:24 PM
yeah i did it this summer. it is a bitch. took me like 12 hours to do that all by myself. it did include one hour break for dinner, plus a lot of small breaks.
i had to take the cross member out and disconnect the exhaust from headers.
i had to pry the oil pan with big prybar because it was melted to the block.
it took me a long time the get this thing out. i did putt some silicone on the ends. the rest of it should be fine.

Tip: don't overtight the bolts. or you will damage the gasket. you will have to do as the manual says.

Stew
09-25-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Its definetly the pan gasket not the plug. Sounds like loads of fun.

I'm glad the crossmember removal wont need any support, taht was my bigest concern.

GreenMachine
09-25-2002, 03:54 PM
Mine only took me 20min, It was sort of a pain...........not to mention the engine was out. lol
good luck !

A20A1
09-25-2002, 07:11 PM
it's a pain doing it on a lowered car when you can only lift the front end less then one foot from the wheel base.