PDA

View Full Version : Automatic shifting..

CzEcHy
10-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Alright so I decided to fool around and I read on the forum about shifting in an automatic (D3,2,D3,D4), but I was wondering a simple question while doing it.. Do you hold down the gas while shifting or let off the gas for that brief second when you shift? Thanks

AccordB20A
10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
lol random thread... got to take foot off the gas otherwise it lags in the gear change and may sound like you have mega clutch slip.

Another good thing to do is install a manual pedal box and hook the TV cable (throttle value/kickdown cable) to the clutch pedal, so when your slowing down to stop u can press the clutch after u have shiftedd into 2 and when you put it back in D3 or 4 it will kick down to 1st so u can have the mean engine brakes.

still not as good as a manual lol, your still losing 20 hp with all that slush between the motor and your wheels.

CzEcHy
10-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Ye it was pretty random but I just wanted to make sure that I was doing it right and not wrong.. I just like to drag out second lol..

skittlez
10-24-2008, 08:47 PM
if you get to know when ur car likes to shift real good then you could just do it by giving it a quick punch n lettin off fast too. but im sure playin with a trans like this prolly isnt good for it, could break stuff.

2oodoor
10-25-2008, 01:59 AM
what ever_ you guys are smoking_ you _auto stop
_

btw... losing 20 hp rofl, as bad as those 5 speed clutches slip and delays between shifts. pulleze

A20A1
10-25-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't remember how I used to shift... but I'd think that I would keep my foot on the gas, assuming I was just going straight.

I do remember I used manual control over the TV cable to engine brake and bring up the revs at the same time so I'd come out of a corner faster then just braking and I wouldn't have to shift. You could also try shifting down to 2 though.

AccordB20A
10-25-2008, 11:35 AM
what ever_ you guys are smoking_ you _auto stop
_

btw... losing 20 hp rofl, as bad as those 5 speed clutches slip and delays between shifts. pulleze

i dont get slip i get chipring tires into gears :)

CzEcHy
10-25-2008, 11:43 AM
So keep foot on gas while shifting or what? You guys are giving different answers lol...

2oodoor
10-25-2008, 11:47 AM
i dont get slip i get chipring tires into gears :)

that is what Imzzz beeezz sayinzz, just with hammer down and no lettting off. :cool:
why would anybody want to let off the gas with an auto? very bad for it!

im saving up for a bell housing or some ting but meanwhile Im running what I got if it ever lets me

CzEcHy
10-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Alright I'll hold the gas while shifting, thanks..

AccordB20A
10-25-2008, 01:11 PM
that is what Imzzz beeezz sayinzz, just with hammer down and no lettting off. :cool:
why would anybody want to let off the gas with an auto? very bad for it!

im saving up for a bell housing or some ting but meanwhile Im running what I got if it ever lets me

its still here waiting for you lol

is your driveablwe yet with that awesome carb b20 power?

2oodoor
10-25-2008, 02:33 PM
its still here waiting for you lol

is your driveablwe yet with that awesome carb b20 power?

that is good to hear

nope, well yep it runs and sounds pretty dam strong but still have to get this little tranny leak taken care of and tidy up a few loose ends.
CzEcHy you dont need to shift it, it is an automatic. and if you do want to click shift it just leave the gas on it. If you want to snatch it by letting off you are asking for it to snap something.

Oldblueaccord
10-25-2008, 06:16 PM
So keep foot on gas while shifting or what? You guys are giving different answers lol...

I say yes since the shifting has to do with where your gas pedal is at by the cable. If you move that then the trans can want to slip a little right as it shifts. Its why newer computer controlled auto trans feel so rubbery to people because they programmed out alot of the drivers bad habits.

wp

circusboy90210
10-27-2011, 09:36 PM
who cares about 20 hp, when you can focus more of your attention to driving instead of shifting, and then cruise control allows even more, also remote starting from inside on a cold day. manual transmissions are for big rigs .

POS carb
11-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Alright so I decided to fool around and I read on the forum about shifting in an automatic (D3,2,D3,D4), but I was wondering a simple question while doing it.. Do you hold down the gas while shifting or let off the gas for that brief second when you shift? Thanks

i remember when I first got the 3 gee and I did that... the cutch packs came out looking like sawtooths. start in d3, drop to 2, then back to d3 and 4, slight lift in between.
I don't recommend it. I know it sounds cool and everything and I'll admit I did it (18 yrs old at the time) but after killing the auto I got a 5speed, clutch, flywheel, pedals, cables, links, shifter, axle, and mount bracket for $150 at the u-pick. everything is bolt on, you just need to wire the reverse lights (2 wires).
I've put over 100,000 on it and it still works flawlessly.
The automatic should not be manual shifted.

RAZR
11-14-2011, 05:21 PM
who cares about 20 hp, when you can focus more of your attention to driving instead of shifting, and then cruise control allows even more, also remote starting from inside on a cold day. manual transmissions are for big rigs .

I hope your not serious.

Edison Carasio
01-11-2012, 06:36 AM
I own both auto's and manuals, and I don't generally shift the auto cars myself unless I'm downshifting at high way speeds to pass, then it's to D3, pass, then back to D4 (or just D in my Fit as it's a five speed auto). Otherwise I think it's too much work on an old Honda auto. Just keep the auto for lazy daily driving and if you want to manually shift get a 5 speed or even buy a car with a paddle shifted automatic like a Fit Sport.

Just my two cents from having both auto and manual cars at my house.

Dr_Snooz
01-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Otherwise I think it's too much work on an old Honda auto.

If you think the Honda is hard, try shifting an old American car with a shifter on the steering column. It gets interesting real quick.