PDA

View Full Version : Smoking at start up

moonjaw2002
10-24-2008, 11:19 AM
I have a 86 lxi that has smoked at start up 3 times within the last two months.I have checked the air filter and can see light through it and no signs of dirt.The plugs show no sign of oil fouling.Can this be caused by a faulty pvc valve.Mark

greentee76
10-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah it could be a pcv valve, but if it were me I would check over the entire pcv system. On my old engine I had a small hole in the hose from the breather box up to the manifold and I believe this caused mine to smoke on start up.
This may not be the cause but it is definately worth checking out.

Hauntd ca3
10-24-2008, 11:51 AM
try blocking off the pcv system and see if it still does it.
if it does'nt it could point towards valve guides or stem seals starting to go out
wouldnt recommend blocking off the pcv for to long tho
have you noticed any smoke on a trailing throttle or acceleration?

russiankid
10-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I get smoke on start up now as well. It only does it when its really cold outside. Unless you are smoking while driving I wouldn't worry about it to much.

moonjaw2002
10-24-2008, 03:51 PM
It would be hard to block off the pvc for that long a time.It only has smoked 3 times in two months.It does not smoke at a idle or deaccelaration.Not even under a heavy load,such as going up a steep hill at low speed and high gear.I have wondered about the valve guides,but it would smoke every time i sart it.I will replace the pvc valve and see what happens.Thanks for the responces guys.Mark

Dr_Snooz
10-24-2008, 07:56 PM
It would be hard to block off the pvc for that long a time.It only has smoked 3 times in two months.It does not smoke at a idle or deaccelaration.Not even under a heavy load,such as going up a steep hill at low speed and high gear.I have wondered about the valve guides,but it would smoke every time i sart it.I will replace the pvc valve and see what happens.Thanks for the responces guys.Mark

You should check the entire PCV system. The whole thing kinda turns to shite. Make sure the hoses are soft and not leaking. Ensure the box isn't broken, etc.

w261w261
10-25-2008, 04:41 AM
Do you remember anything different on the days when it smoked? How about parking at an angle, or was the temperature particularly cold? How many miles on the car? What color was the smoke?