PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY getting around to my brake situation

codyJDM
10-24-2008, 05:02 PM
As some of you may know, I've been pretty screwed brake-wise. Long story short I ended up having an 88-89 spindle on my driver side and my stock 86-87 on the passenger side. Today I got a hold of the pass. side 88-89 spindle and now I need to start the rebuild.

My list consists of:

Rotors/pads

Caliper rebuild kit

Lower ball joints

Wheel bearings

I have to take the spindles to a shop to have the wheel bearings and LBJ's pressed correct?

Can anyone say drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads? Nice fresh painted calipers? :naughty: I'm so overdue for this upgrade. I have mismatched brakes and a dragging caliper, I'm dead tired of this crap :tongue:

Any other ideas or recommendations are welcome!

p.s anyone wanna sell me a white driver side door handle? hahaha

jpetrovic
10-24-2008, 05:32 PM
i'd get new calipers, rebuild kits are cheap and they are easy but if u havent done it before it could go wrong. i bought new ones i think they were 60 or 70 dollars the with the cores brought back to the auto part store

codyJDM
10-24-2008, 05:42 PM
i'd get new calipers, rebuild kits are cheap and they are easy but if u havent done it before it could go wrong. i bought new ones i think they were 60 or 70 dollars the with the cores brought back to the auto part store

lol it's all good, I can handle it. I already have to spend too much money as it is :chainsaw:

87roach
10-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Sounds like a plan, maybe think about some new break lines aswell while your at it. Also I would recommend taking them to a shop to have the stuff pressed in, make sure you account for it or have another ride handy just incase it takes longer then you expect(usually does).

jpetrovic
10-24-2008, 06:12 PM
lol it's all good, I can handle it. I already have to spend too much money as it is :chainsaw:

lol i know how ya feel, well i have drilled rotors and semi metalic pads they do the job just fine. the reason why i dont have slotted is because the slotted rotors greatly reduce your pad life and u really should only have them in race applications, the slots shave the pads everytime u use them, i think i herd that it reduces pads to 35%+/- even if u look at high end cars they only have drilled rotors. if high end cars ( like the new bmw m3 ) dont have slotted rotors then i beleive an 88 accord dosent really needs them :P

codyJDM
10-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a plan, maybe think about some new break lines aswell while your at it. Also I would recommend taking them to a shop to have the stuff pressed in, make sure you account for it or have another ride handy just incase it takes longer then you expect(usually does).

I'm going to have SS lines made at a buddy's shop. I'm also taking the LBJs and wheel bearing to him to be pressed in.

Don't worry, I'm prepared. This car has given me nothing but surprises so I'm used to it :thumbup:

Luckily both of my spindles have been on and off quite a few times. :werd:

codyJDM
10-24-2008, 06:14 PM
lol i know how ya feel, well i have drilled rotors and semi metalic pads they do the job just fine. the reason why i dont have slotted is because the slotted rotors greatly reduce your pad life and u really should only have them in race applications, the slots shave the pads everytime u use them, i think i herd that it reduces pads to 35%+/- even if u look at high end cars they only have drilled rotors. if high end cars ( like the new bmw m3 ) dont have slotted rotors then i beleive an 88 accord really needs them :P

lol I feel ya on that, I'm just getting a good deal on them :tongue:

jpetrovic
10-24-2008, 06:20 PM
ahh i c, well thats cool idk if u allready have drilled rotors or sloted but they make a diffrence from stock, i could tell right away when i put my drilled rotors on.

ghettogeddy
10-24-2008, 08:20 PM
www.buybrakes.com

the cheapest place to get brakes

MessyHonda
10-26-2008, 11:01 PM
i got EBC dimpled and sloted rotors with AEM pads....stops good i also have SS brake lines