PDA

View Full Version : rear defroster

skittlez
10-25-2008, 09:06 PM
today i was cleanin out the back of the car and noticed that the contact point to the glass on my defroster came off. first instinct was to jus grab some hot glue but im wonderin, if i do that will it screw up the continuity? does anybody know a legit way to fix this? thanks guys.

88Accord-DX
10-25-2008, 09:19 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4221212.html

Civic Accord Honda
10-25-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4221212.html
good info to know!

Dr_Snooz
10-26-2008, 08:05 AM
:werd:

skittlez
10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
oohh gotta get some of that for the toolbox, thanks for the link. but the part that went bad wasnt the strip, its where the wiring connects to the glass through those lil contacts. can you solder on glass?

88Accord-DX
10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
oohh gotta get some of that for the toolbox, thanks for the link. but the part that went bad wasnt the strip, its where the wiring connects to the glass through those lil contacts. can you solder on glass?
The same procedure is used on the connector/contact point. The stuff their using is basically the same glue that used on rear view mirrors. It comes in a vile that you break with an accelerator. Also if you look at post #13, that guy has used a solder gun like your asking about. Below is copied of the link.

The procedure for repairing broken-off electrical connectors is almost as straightforward. Similarly, clean the area with lacquer thinner or alcohol to remove any oily residue. We took a small file to remove a couple of burrs, so the tab would lay flat on the glass. Our kit came with a vial of accelerator to complement a small pouch of conductive adhesive. Snap the glass vial of accelerator to release it into the applicator swab, and wet the surface of the glass and the back of the tab. Allow it to dry for 5 minutes. Knead the adhesive pouch for a minute or so, and snip off a corner. Put a couple of drops on the tab, and lightly press it to the glass for 60 seconds. Don’t glue your fingers to the tab or the glass—and don’t ask how we know this is a bad idea.