PDA

View Full Version : Hose on back of oil pan?

slatfats
10-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I have an 89 Accord LXi that I changed the oil on..while I was there I wanted to see where my oil leak was coming from...I had been putting a quart in every few weeks. Anyways, I discovered it was the hose that comes off the pack of the oil pan and I think it goes to the tranny oil cooler. It's just a 7/8ths rubber hose with hose clamps. Anyways, I have been f'ing with it for over an hour trying to get the new hose on. I had it one once on both pipes...but the hose was too long so I took it off to shorten it...now I can't get it back on. It's pissing me off. Is there an easier way that can give me better access to this damn thing? My back is starting to hurt.

VIPER1988
10-26-2008, 05:10 PM
much easier to get that hose off/on if you drop the oil pan.

russiankid
10-26-2008, 05:18 PM
That hose is very easy. Put one end of the hose on, I usually put the end on that doesn't go the pan. Then bend the hose right in the middle and stick the other end of it onto the oil pan. Once the hose is started just feed the hose onto the inlet while straightening it out. Takes about 10 seconds.

slatfats
10-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Then there must be a more flexible hose that is original. This one is stiff as hell and the one that came off was even stiffer.

I don't want to drop the pan...but I may have to.

VIPER1988
10-26-2008, 05:28 PM
the hose on mine is stiff too. i had to drop the pan

russiankid
10-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Guys this hose is just a regular rubber hose that is oil resistant. Go to Autozone or Advance Auto and get a rubber hose that is oil resistant. Mine is rubber, its flexible, and it doesn't leak.

cygnus x-1
10-26-2008, 05:49 PM
If you have a hair dryer or heat gun you can use it to warm up the tube to soften it. You can also put it on boiling water for a minute or two. Just dry it off before putting it on. And wipe some oil inside both ends to help it slide on better.

C|

codyJDM
10-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Guys this hose is just a regular rubber hose that is oil resistant. Go to Autozone or Advance Auto and get a rubber hose that is oil resistant. Mine is rubber, its flexible, and it doesn't leak.

x2 I'm about to do the same thing.

Dr_Snooz
10-26-2008, 06:02 PM
I just bought the OEM hose from the dealer. It wasn't much and it fits great. Didn't go on easy, but it did go on and hasn't given me any trouble.

slatfats
10-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I went to Baxter Auto Parts and AutoZone ... I asked them for an oil resistant hose and they looked at me like I was a moron. The guy at AutoZone just asked me what kind of vehicle it was on...like they don't know that they can use a tape measure to measure and walk down the 8 foot aisle and grab a box of hose and cut me a piece...anyways...both places said they didn't have what I was looking for either by application or by measurement...so I went to my work and got what I was looking for which is a stiff rubber hose..maybe I should have grabbed a silicone hose instead...although it's more expensive...but I have wasted too much time on this already...dropping the oil pan seems to be a time intensive project...like disconnecting the exhaust and bull...no likey.

russiankid
10-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Most places do that and just ask what car its for. I tell them you won't find it in the computer. Its a regular rubber hose, that is oil resistant.

skittlez
10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
some of those autozone guys are just half baked man. but like already said if you give it a lil heat it will soften to make it more submissive, also if your still having trouble with it you could (carefully) take a small blade and try to rem the inner tip of the hose slightly jus to get it started.

88Accord-DX
10-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Can put some grease around the inside of the hose, makes it easier to slip on when you got that hose bent & half way started on the oil pan pipe.

lostforawhile
10-26-2008, 08:22 PM
are you talking about the one that goes to the back of the oil pan? that goes to the oil seperator,thats part of your pcv system. if it leaks it can cause a hard to find vaccume leak, the pcv valve is designed to work with it attached. it's also important because that system keeps sludge from forming in your oil. look at the metal box it goes to also, it unbolts from the back of the engine with a couple of bolts. there is another O ring on the back side of that box, where it plugs into the oil galley return on the block. that is a hard to find leak point.

Dr_Snooz
10-27-2008, 05:32 AM
there is another O ring on the back side of that box, where it plugs into the oil galley return on the block. that is a hard to find leak point.

Yeah, and it's a mother to get to. At least for me it was.

2oodoor
10-27-2008, 10:16 AM
if you dont want to drop the pan, you can just take the bolts out of the black box oil separater.
1 inch or 7/8 heater hose should do the job just as good IMO

lostforawhile
10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
if you dont want to drop the pan, you can just take the bolts out of the black box oil separater.
1 inch or 7/8 heater hose should do the job just as good IMOif you take the box loose then the o ring on the back,where it goes into the block,will start to leak.

Oldblueaccord
10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
If that hose is old and used it wont bend thats what makes it a PIA to mess with. You could try trimming it as short as you dare. I used new worm clamps to not the factory stockers.

wp

slatfats
10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
to update everyone, I got the hose on by using a combination of hot water and blow dryer. I had alread cut the hose to the shortest possible length and trimmed away the inner wall a bit to get it on..now it's leaking about the same as before because one end is just barely over the lip of the pipe. I will have a friend help me with it who has a heat gun and get another new hose. I may be able to pull the hose back some if I heat it up real good.

skittlez
10-28-2008, 01:27 PM
aw that suckz, good luck man.

Dr_Snooz
10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Get the right part from the dealer. Use a lot of white grease inside the two ends of the hose. Then grease up the nipples on the engine. Put one end on, then bend the hose in the middle (it will put a nice crimp in it) and massage the other end on. Once you get it relatively straight, you can walk the hose farther onto the nipples by wiggling the middle of the hose around in little lengthwise circles. Keep wiggling until it hits the stops on the nipples.

If you get frustrated, just swear more.

Good times, okay?

2oodoor
10-29-2008, 03:17 AM
if you take the box loose then the o ring on the back,where it goes into the block,will start to leak.

I dont remember it having any passage into the block, but mine never leaked so I dunno.

EricW
10-29-2008, 06:55 PM
I dont remember it having any passage into the block, but mine never leaked so I dunno.

It does.

lostforawhile
10-30-2008, 01:04 PM
I dont remember it having any passage into the block, but mine never leaked so I dunno.there is an o ring on a metal pipe on the back of it, it pushes into the block. thats where the excess oil drains back to. it picks up in the oil pan. the blowby then goes to the pcv valve out the top. that hole in the block is part of the oil drain passage from the head. any oil that goes into it drains down into the pan. i