PDA

View Full Version : Granite's 91 Civic recent morning starting issues

GraniteLXI
10-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey, i figured I would finally put this up and I hope this is the right place for it. You guys tend to respond faster then Civic4G anyway :) :

Lately its gotten colder out and in the morning my civic would start odd, it was fine all summer. Here is the run down-

I would crank on it and it would crank the usual 3-5 times before it would fire up...but it would only run for about a split second and it would run just fine, no sputtering or anything in that split second of running, then it would stall like it ran out of gas. I would start it again- stall after a split second. This start-stall process would repeat until eventually it would run and keep running.

- To also add to it, during the summer once in a while in the warm up process while I drive, the car will sputter and miss at about the same temperature (sometimes, doesn't always do it) when im guessing the ECU is taking over the cold-run cycle, but it cleans right up with a little rev of the engine and runs perfect the rest of the time.

The kicker is i would drive it to work, be at work for 8+ hours, and when i go to start it to drive home it starts and stays running...no issues!

My guess:
It acts like its not getting a constant flow of fuel, like the lines are draining back at night from a bad fuel pump maybe? Im not sure and I would like your guys' input if any of you have had a similar experience.
The car runs great otherwise and feels great to drive.

Just to keep everyone updated:
Yes it has a new fuel filter,
New wires,
New plugs,
brand new Main Relay!

I just want to keep her running as long as i can without spending money on parts i dont need for it, thanks!

skittlez
10-26-2008, 06:47 PM
well since you have new plugs it might not hurt to check your egr valve, but thats all i can think of at the moment though.

russiankid
10-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Your fuel pump wouldn't take long to build the pressure back up if it did drain back. It doesn't sound like your fuel is draining back it sounds like a sensor or something.

GraniteLXI
10-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I did notice that 1 time when i had starting issues i let the pump work by leaving the key in the "run" position before starting it, and it kept priming the system for a good 4-5 seconds before it stopped, then i started it and it ran.

The egr does sound like a good idea to check, maybe the egr is sticking because its colder, and maybe my egr is sticking when my car is sputtering for a moment when it warms up.

russiankid
10-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Pump is suppose to only run for a second and pressure wouldn't matter.

Or at least I thought thats how it works.

Civic Accord Honda
10-26-2008, 07:09 PM
my legend did this so i removed the injectors then i cleaned them with carb cleaner the little filters on the injectors were clogged to hell i also cleaned the holes the injectors went in to after that it started fine

GraniteLXI
10-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Just an update that I discovered. This morning i cycled the key 2 times before starting the car. (turned it on and let the fuel pump run til it stopped, turned it off, and repeated. All without cranking the engine at all) It was as cold as usual but using this method it started up like usual and this time it stayed running!

Also- I looked and my civic does not have EGR!! It supposed to be in the same general spot as the 3gee's EGR and all i find is a spot on the block where the egr would have gone but it has no mounts...its very strange. Maybe i have a JDM D15? Dunno.

PICS of where my egr is supposed to be, its in the same spot as the A20.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff14/GraniteLXi/Noegr.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff14/GraniteLXi/Noegr2.jpg