PDA

View Full Version : Removing Fork bolt

clark_486
10-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Any advice on removing a frozen fork bolt? The nut came off but the bolt wont turn or move when beat upon.

ghettogeddy
10-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Any advice on removing a frozen fork bolt? The nut came off but the bolt wont turn or move when beat upon.

saturate in penetrating oil then try hammering it out

russiankid
10-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Cut bolt off, get a new bushing and bolt. Thats pretty much the only option you have because the bolt gets rusted to the metal insert in the bushing.

Oldblueaccord
10-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Are you trying to replace the CV joint? you dont have to remove that to do it.

wp

carotman
10-27-2008, 02:32 PM
What russiankid said is right. Most of the time the bolt is so seized in the bushing sleeve that the only way to take it out is to cut it. If you heat it to much, it will burn the bushing anyway.

Oldblueaccord
10-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Are you trying to replace the CV joint? you dont have to remove that to do it.

wp

Wait I'm totally wrong,read it as the top bolt somehow. Dis reguard what I said.

wp

clark_486
10-27-2008, 08:20 PM
any places to buy another one? Local shops (vip, autozone, etc) think its a dealer part.

Pico
10-27-2008, 08:45 PM
any places to buy another one? Local shops (vip, autozone, etc) think its a dealer part.

dealer or wrecking yard for the bolt and if you do go to the yard you might as well grab the fork also.
I f'd mine up pretty good when I had the same problem. I had to use a sawzall and air chisel on mine

markmdz89hatch
11-07-2008, 09:14 AM
personally, if you go through the hassle of removing it, and destroying it in the process, I would invest in buying new ones directly from Honda. Most any of the j/y ones you'll find are already at least a little corroded if not seized up just like yours. I always use to keep a few extras in my garage when I had multiple 3G's just in case.

I'll post back in a few after I search around and try to find an old thread and pic that I had made about removing a seized up bolt.

*edit: Alright, so I lost the pic courtesy of imagestation being taken down. Let me know if you end up snapping the head off, and I'll do a quick write-up of how to walk the bolt out of the bushing without destroying the bushing.

Oldblueaccord
11-07-2008, 01:25 PM
http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=227543&imageurl=http%3A//info.rockauto.com/Moog/K9759_TOP.jpg

Moog K9759

Rockauto is allowing there pics to be used sorry if I might be abusing it in the future.

wp

clark_486
11-09-2008, 01:32 PM
awesome. good work. Just removed a pair of 22 y/o tie rod ends and will be inspecting them to see how bad they are.