PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Sky's 1989 White Coupe Project Rebirth

Vanilla Sky
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Of course as you all may know, I bought Sk8r's car yesterday. I got everything home with no issues. Honda Ridgelines don't tow too badly.

I got a few pictures after loading.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0234.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0235.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0236.jpg

Right now, the car is a driveway fixture until I can get the trans pulled from one of my parts cars and get the car registered.

The only thing I've done was pull the 5th gear cover from the trans. Looks like chewed gears. 5th is fine, but there are shavings in the oil.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0246.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0247.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0248.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this clip is supposed to go to? It was lodged under between the bearing and gear on the output side.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0249.jpg

Overall, I think the trans is toast. I thought it was just a bad shift fork to begin with, but I'm thinking it may be more serious. When I get time, I'll continue the trans teardown and keep photos posted of that as well.

lostforawhile
10-27-2008, 02:02 PM
isn't that the bearing retainer?

Vanilla Sky
10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
That's what I would assume, but it's pretty mangled.

lostforawhile
10-27-2008, 02:12 PM
i'll look in my book, i think it's the fifth gear snap ring. you know man-trans there can get all the oddball parts for those things. edit bearing clip ring if i remember right

Vanilla Sky
10-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I guess that would be just another mangled part then, eh?

I figure I'll keep the 5th gear set and scrap out the rest.

Civic Accord Honda
10-27-2008, 03:56 PM
damn looks better then my trans did all my gears looked metaled together haha car looks good tho man keep us updated

Vanilla Sky
10-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm just lucky that this is the only big issue with the car. Everything else is small stuff.

labeledsk8r
10-27-2008, 07:06 PM
MY OLD CAR!! lol.. and damn... i knew the trans was fucked but jessus... i wish you best of luck getting the car running again..

AccordB20A
10-27-2008, 09:20 PM
cool. Gearbox might be repairable if you replace that single failed part/more

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2008, 04:09 AM
It's easier for me to replace the transmission with one I know works from my back yard.

Pico
10-28-2008, 04:49 AM
Good to see sk8r's car will live on with another member here on the forum

87roach
10-28-2008, 07:09 AM
Damn that thing is clean, nice buy! As for the trans, your right about just replacing it.. much less hassle. Keep us posted and good luck.

2oodoor
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
those wheels look pretty good on that car, great rescue !

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Those wheels will be beater wheels. One of them has a slight flat spot. It balances out fine, but I know it's there. I do like the 5 spoke look, though.

labeledsk8r
10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Damn that thing is clean, nice buy!

dont remind me... that was the main reason I had bought it in the first place... sigh... this also reminds me i NEVER got to take pics of the car with a real camra.. just used my cellphone... sigh

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2008, 03:38 PM
You were like 3 feet from me when we were taking pics. Count mine as yours.

LX-incredible
10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Looks like a syncro spring to me. The rest of the gears could very well be fine.

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2008, 04:18 PM
It still won't shift, so there's something else wront with it. I'm planning a hybrid Integra trans at some point, so I'll keep this one around for parts.

88Accord-DX
10-28-2008, 06:19 PM
That is a bearing retainer, probably for the bearing on the outside of the case there. That one is chewed up & distorted. Them manual transmissions are fun, torquing the mainshaft & countershaft is the trickiest part to get right.

Edit- I agree it's easier to find one that works fine & not mess with it.

labeledsk8r
10-29-2008, 10:47 AM
just found a few more door panel screws and a small seat belt bracket that holds the belt on the door, im positive i will find a few more small things as i clean threw my box's of stuff.. i iwll hold onto it and give it to ya next time i see you..

and bump lol i expected my old car to be running by now :stick:

RobT5580
10-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Thats exactly what i need a nice clean rust free chassis for my B20A.....Good luck on your project.

Vanilla Sky
10-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Working graveyard does suck sometimes. The cold snap isn't helping either.

MessyHonda
10-31-2008, 07:08 PM
go integera gears....i love mine

Vanilla Sky
10-31-2008, 07:12 PM
This weekend, I'm going to be pulling the trans from the parts car, and hopefully getting it installed in this car. I wish I had a bit of help, though. I'll probably recruit my brother to help me out.

RamThis
10-31-2008, 08:29 PM
Your UHaul trailer said 55 MPH, mine said 45 MPH on it lol. I can tell you, a 2000 Ram with a 360 and 4.10 gears, and an SCT Tuner, will pull a 3G on that same trailer, in OD, at 80 MPH, like it wasnt even back there. I had trouble keeping the truck from spinning the rear tires taking off from stop lights towing the car home it pulls so hard. In fact I still had enough acceleration left I could merge into most any traffic on the interstate with 3G in tow. Might have even gotten about 10 MPG too, normally get about 8 around town!!!!! HA!!! Sad my truck gets better mileage towing a car at 80 MPH than driving around town at a maximum of about 50 MPH.

Anyway yeah Sk8r's car is one clean machine. Glad to see it go to a new home and not a junk yard. Too nice of a car to junk out really.

Vanilla Sky
10-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, the car really is too nice to junk.

The Ridgeline is what it is. It's a midsize SUV with a bed instead of a 3rd seat. That said, it's great. It had zero issues with towing the car. It could easily tow the car on a big honkin' steel trailer just the same.

Does anyone read that "speed limit" thing on those dollies anyway? We would have been going faster if the road were wider. That road between Palatka and Ocala isn't big enough ofr a car, much less one on a trailer.

Civic Accord Honda
10-31-2008, 10:46 PM
haha we have never payed any attention to that MAX speed limit on them we have gone 95 in a 26FT uhual with one before haha

Vanilla Sky
11-02-2008, 01:34 PM
The organ was successfully harvested from the donor car this afternoon at 2PM. It will be cleaned and inspected before the transplant is completed. I'll do some small stuff between now and next weekend, but I plan to have the new trans installed by next week.

I'll get a couple more pictures tomorrow. My wife left with the camera, so I can't get any pics now.

Vanilla Sky
11-04-2008, 05:32 AM
The new transmission looks okay. I had to replace the rusty 5th gear cover, but that's not a big deal. Just swapped it for the one on the old trans.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0278.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0279.jpg

The car has a few small issues I want to get taken care of. Most of it is paint overspray from an older paint job. The rest is minor adjustment work.

Overspray

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0288.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0285.jpg

Surface Rust

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0287.jpg

Things that need replacement

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0281.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0286.jpg

Needs adjustment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0282.jpg

10 Feet away

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0283.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0284.jpg

Overall, it's small stuff. Just some elbow grease and it will look really good.

2oodoor
11-04-2008, 06:05 AM
that masking job made the hair raise on my back, that was aweful work!
No way that was professional. Anyway looks like the car is coming along nicely:) and I hope it does not reject the organ transplant..filler up with interferon.. lol

... and CAH it has been a while since I drove a u haul but they used to be governed and it was all you could do to get 65 mph outta one empty.

Vanilla Sky
11-04-2008, 06:11 AM
It was a Maaco job, I believe. At least that's what Sk8r was led to believe.

russiankid
11-04-2008, 06:14 AM
That differential output seal looks chewed! May want to replace that.

Vanilla Sky
11-04-2008, 06:40 AM
I will be replacing it. They're both kinda iffy, so I'll pre putting in shiny new ones.

labeledsk8r
11-04-2008, 07:38 AM
that masking job made the hair raise on my back, that was aweful work!
No way that was professional. Anyway looks like the car is coming along nicely:) and I hope it does not reject the organ transplant..filler up with interferon.. lol

... and CAH it has been a while since I drove a u haul but they used to be governed and it was all you could do to get 65 mph outta one empty.

as sky said, i was told it was done by maco... and after seeing some of macos other work i belived the guy lol

nd one those u-hauls and trailors... i took a 18 footer filled with all my stuff and a tow dolly with my olds cuttlas towed behind it and was doing 95 easy down some back country roads on my trip to idaho... infact i drove 2 trucks on the trip an old 89 one that the rear bumper fell off of...and a 2006 truck... the old one got up to 85 easy and the new one could get to 95 easy

SZfiftyfour
11-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Damn Sky, working fast on getting that car driving. I wish i was that motivated lol.

I hate driving those u-haul trucks. I took one from Tx to Fl with car in tow and the gas mileage was effin retarded. It was an older 16 or 18' with something like a 500ci big block. And it still wouldn't go over 65-70 mph.

labeledsk8r
11-04-2008, 10:23 AM
oh on that rear tailight/plate holder, if your looking to replace that good luck.. i had been searching for a good one since i got the car... you can even tell that peice is missing once the plate is on.. but its one of those that you know its there, im guessing the rear pick is showing the rub marks from the mustang that you wana clean up.... damn mustangs..

awsome work though.. i wana see this thing driveing lol

Vanilla Sky
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
A clay bar will get rid of those marks. I'm planning on doing a light wetsanding of tthe whole car to even out the paint and get rid of the pinstripes.

It's funny, though. I see those centers on crappy coupes in great shape, but when I see a coupe in good shape, it's broken. It will get fixed when I can find one I don't have to ship. The junkyard here gets these cars every once in a while.

2oodoor
11-04-2008, 11:44 AM
as sky said, i was told it was done by maco... and after seeing some of macos other work i belived the guy lol

nd one those u-hauls and trailors... i took a 18 footer filled with all my stuff and a tow dolly with my olds cuttlas towed behind it and was doing 95 easy down some back country roads on my trip to idaho... infact i drove 2 trucks on the trip an old 89 one that the rear bumper fell off of...and a 2006 truck... the old one got up to 85 easy and the new one could get to 95 easy

f well I havn't droved won cince oklahoma city:Owned::)

Looks like the same person pinstriped the car as well, OMG
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/IMG_0281.jpg

Vanilla Sky
11-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I just noticed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

It also looks like the car had peeling clear when it was painted and they couldn't be bothered to to any prep sanding to level it out. I'm hoping I don't sand through the color coat. I don't have to worry about sanding through the clear because this is one of Maaco's single stage paints.

2oodoor
11-04-2008, 12:17 PM
We have some pretty good maaco jobs on vehicles at work, but some others are not so hot. They always say "integral" clearcoat, means they put clear in final coats... not true clear coat. I had a 96 Beretta that had Maaco paint like that and it would shine up for about half a day and then the paint just sucks up whatever you put on it. You might try to wet sand it with a little dish soap added, using a sponge block with very light pressure. That way you can get a little feathering done without a rolled edge, maybe you can sneak some fast drying primer surfacer on it with another light wet sanding then dust some sealer on it. Other wise it may have to be stripped off, believe me you know that will be a lot of work.

Vanilla Sky
11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I've thought about doing the prep work to get the car painted myself. It's just not in my budget. I figure a $500 local paint job would do wonders for the car. All I'd have to do is have it painted, I'd do all of the prep and masking myself.

lostforawhile
11-04-2008, 02:17 PM
sorry wrong thread

Civic Accord Honda
11-04-2008, 03:14 PM
bank just ripped me off an entire checks worth of bogus service fees, now we are fucked will probably lose the civic and the furniture. was just about to change banks too.
:wtf: what dose that have to do with this thread ?

lostforawhile
11-04-2008, 04:02 PM
:wtf: what dose that have to do with this thread ?sorry showed up in the wrong thread somehow

RamThis
11-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I've thought about doing the prep work to get the car painted myself. It's just not in my budget. I figure a $500 local paint job would do wonders for the car. All I'd have to do is have it painted, I'd do all of the prep and masking myself.

That paint job is horrible!! I can "almost" see a shop leaving the antenna in and just taping around it just for the fact that it's a total fucking pain in the ass to deal with, I'll let them slide on that. But the lights???? Are you kidding me??? Two screws and they come right out!!!! Lazy sumbitches. And yeah, that pinstripe looks like someone did it while the car was strapped down on a moving flatbed wrecker. Holy crap.

If I were you, I'd strip that paint with some chemical stripper and get it back to bare metal, then use a good DTM 2K epoxy primer to seal it back up. Do your filler work on top of that. Then one last shot of epoxy primer to seal off the filler work and make one perfect surface for the paint shop to block out and shoot. Have them do a 2 stage paint, BC/CC, with AT LEAST 3 coats of clear with a UV protector, and a flex additive in the clear for parts on the front of the car (hood, fenders, bumper) and for the rear plastic bumper. Will keep the clear from chipping from rocks.

If I were to spend the time to prep the car, if I were you, Id at least look to spend about 1,000 for "quality" basecoat and clearcoat with a decent colorsand and polish job. It will make a world of difference.

Of course, I guess even a 500 dollar job would make a big difference on a 3G with a Maaco paintjob LOL!!!

labeledsk8r
11-04-2008, 08:41 PM
f well I havn't droved won cince oklahoma city:Owned::)

i dont get it...

A18A
11-04-2008, 09:43 PM
That paint job is horrible!! I can "almost" see a shop leaving the antenna in and just taping around it just for the fact that it's a total fucking pain in the ass to deal with, I'll let them slide on that. But the lights???? Are you kidding me??? Two screws and they come right out!!!! Lazy sumbitches. And yeah, that pinstripe looks like someone did it while the car was strapped down on a moving flatbed wrecker. Holy crap.

If I were you, I'd strip that paint with some chemical stripper and get it back to bare metal, then use a good DTM 2K epoxy primer to seal it back up. Do your filler work on top of that. Then one last shot of epoxy primer to seal off the filler work and make one perfect surface for the paint shop to block out and shoot. Have them do a 2 stage paint, BC/CC, with AT LEAST 3 coats of clear with a UV protector, and a flex additive in the clear for parts on the front of the car (hood, fenders, bumper) and for the rear plastic bumper. Will keep the clear from chipping from rocks.

If I were to spend the time to prep the car, if I were you, Id at least look to spend about 1,000 for "quality" basecoat and clearcoat with a decent colorsand and polish job. It will make a world of difference.

Of course, I guess even a 500 dollar job would make a big difference on a 3G with a Maaco paintjob LOL!!!

when i decide to get my car repainted, im coming to your place :)

Vanilla Sky
11-04-2008, 11:28 PM
I just need the car sprayed. I'm not looking for an OE paint job. I'm staying white, and the door jambs won't need repaint. I'd like base/clear, but it's not a requirement. If I had the facilities to paint the car myself, I would. I'm not going to do the $50 paint job, though. Not my cup of tea.

mushroom_toy
11-07-2008, 05:05 PM
I have that center section you need if its an 88-89 style. Its in perfect shape. $15 and shipping?

Vanilla Sky
11-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Has to be from a coupe.

2oodoor
11-08-2008, 02:35 AM
You could do it in the yard with professional results, but it takes a lot more prep work. White is the perfect color to pull that off too.
Pre osha, done plenty of them outside:naughty:

Vanilla Sky
11-08-2008, 10:11 AM
I guess if I tented the car I could, but I live under a bunch of old oak trees that are constantly dropping something.

evil88accordLX
11-08-2008, 10:41 AM
my friend with the ae86 painted his car that way. it is just temporary for now until the car is done and ready for real paint, but the car looks outstanding considering. wish i could find pics of it.

Vanilla Sky
11-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Fresh pictures are due later today. I'm cleaning the trans up right now. The car is on stands and is waiting on me.

labeledsk8r
01-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Fresh pictures are due later today. I'm cleaning the trans up right now. The car is on stands and is waiting on me.

the time has come and gone, and the year has ended were is said update!! lol

Vanilla Sky
01-31-2009, 07:07 PM
lol

Well, I have the trans cleaned :p

I did start getting the suspension parts ready, but I still need to get the axle seals. Once I have those, the trans will be in and the car will be drivable. Then I have to find the time to get the lower ball joints replaced and the other small things fixed.

Was the timing belt replaced recently? I can't remember.

labeledsk8r
01-31-2009, 07:11 PM
heres what he said was done when when i was buying it (feb of 08) all new plugs , wire, dizy cap, oil change, water pump,

timeing belt done last year..

looking at the belt it looked good so im guessing so

Vanilla Sky
01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah, looked new.

It sucks having money but not time. I've been working as much overtime as I can get at work, and it kills me. Since I already work overnights, I don't have much daylight for anything.

labeledsk8r
01-31-2009, 08:07 PM
get one of these then
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/1484_with_stand.gif
used to be how i did almost all of the work on my LX. if theres not enough daylight in the day then make it lol, but goodluck

Vanilla Sky
01-31-2009, 08:14 PM
I've thought about it, almost bought some at Lowe's on clearance, but someone had already reserved them. With it getting as chilly at night as it has been, I haven't wanted to work at night anyway. I do have a good light, but it's not quite enough. I think I'll end up getting some outdoor flourecent tube lights under my carport. They're cheap, and they provide a lot of cheap light.

labeledsk8r
01-31-2009, 08:33 PM
I've thought about it, almost bought some at Lowe's on clearance, but someone had already reserved them. With it getting as chilly at night as it has been, I haven't wanted to work at night anyway. I do have a good light, but it's not quite enough. I think I'll end up getting some outdoor flourecent tube lights under my carport. They're cheap, and they provide a lot of cheap light.

its cold at night now yes.. but wait till summer.. the cool nights will be the ONLY time you want to be outside working... id say get some tubes for your carport (cheep and good everall light) then get a spotlighter to help when under the car etc.. also a normal under the hood hanging one helps alot to.. with those 3 lights it will be better then daylight

Vanilla Sky
01-31-2009, 08:53 PM
I have a large collection of flashlights for underhood. Hopefully I'll have it fixed soon.

Hauntd ca3
01-31-2009, 09:43 PM
get one of these then
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/1484_with_stand.gif
used to be how i did almost all of the work on my LX. if theres not enough daylight in the day then make it lol, but goodluck

with a few of these with 500w bulbs, you make your own heat.
i use a couple when its below 0 degrees c

Vanilla Sky
03-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Making progress!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/l_bdacf5c76a754d619715ab3fc0d046dd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/l_ffe91b85bec94227a811b98a3953d15a.jpg

It's not bolted in, but it's not far from it. I had to put things away so I can get some sleep. Working overnight is strange sometimes.

And sorry for the picture quality, they were taken with my Blackberry.

labeledsk8r
03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
woot progress!

Vanilla Sky
03-03-2009, 07:36 PM
It's a shame it made me sick. I woke up with a fever, a sore throat, and I'm coughing.

Yeah, I know working out on the cold concrete didn't make me sick, but it doesn't help. I had to take the night off of work. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, as I've had a cough for about 3 weeks.

Civic Accord Honda
03-03-2009, 07:50 PM
progress ftw

Vanilla Sky
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Tell me about it. I've had the car sitting there in that same state since OCTOBER.

AccordB20A
09-12-2009, 12:13 AM
i think its update time!! i havent sen this thread until now, glad to see this car has a new box and is nearly ready to go again

labeledsk8r
09-12-2009, 01:07 AM
oh its running again, andrew and i made a trip out to platka and got this baby fired up, fired up first try on old gas and all... derick stop being lazzy and update :P....

kinda miss my old car :(

Vanilla Sky
09-12-2009, 06:45 PM
LOL, I think you covered it, man. I bled the brakes and have the oil for the transmission. I think I have a bad CV joint. My wife got a job, so I'll be driving this thing daily very soon.

Thanks for coming up and giving me the motivation to get it fixed.

My first project is a good shakedown. I need to get all of the little issues taken care of and get the car in top shape, then start hitting up the AC and getting the thing chilled again.

I'll have fresh pics soon.

Vanilla Sky
09-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Found a couple of oil leaks that I've corrected. Somehow both the engine and trans oil drain bolts were loose. Tightened them, topped up oil, looks good now.

For some reason, I just don't think about taking pictures until it's dark outside.

Today, I did a string alignment. I'm not sure how close it is, but it looks pretty good according to my strings. I'm going to build a real string rig at some point and have repeatable results.

I need to get out there and rip the rest of the power steering out. I wish I could go without AC, but with my job, that's not advisable. I hate sitting in a cold building with a moist shirt.

Another thing I need to add to my list of needed repairs are the shift bushings. I meant to buy them from Sk8r, but never got around to it. Right now, the shifter just flops around like a limp... air intake. It shifts fine, but it's sloppy.

After I get all of the running issues fixed, it's time to get my performance parts installed. So far I have:

1. Cam gear
2. Stage 1 Colt (I think) cam
3. Pacesetter header
4. Pacesetter exhaust
5. SEi rear brakes

I think this car will be pretty good once I start driving it. I just wish I had more car guys that lived in town to motivate me. Not many imports around here.

nswst8
09-17-2009, 07:23 PM
I'd to find them but I have acouple of shift bushing kits poly.

martingosvig
11-18-2009, 09:18 AM
take a look in the honda manual thats on this site http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/
i will bet you can find out about your tranny questions.

Vanilla Sky
11-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I know about that manual. I have it on DVD and hard copy. The issue with the transmission would require all new internals, so I replaced it.

Trust me, I've been around the block a few times with these cars. I'm at the point I need tires and registration so I can shake it down on the street.

nswst8
11-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Good job!

MessyHonda
11-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Yeah, I know about that manual. I have it on DVD and hard copy. The issue with the transmission would require all new internals, so I replaced it.

Trust me, I've been around the block a few times with these cars. I'm at the point I need tires and registration so I can shake it down on the street.

lets get it going...i dont want to be the only white coupe with mods here

Vanilla Sky
11-19-2009, 11:55 PM
I just don't have the outside motivating factors I need to work on cars anymore.

labeledsk8r
11-20-2009, 12:30 AM
I just don't have the outside motivating factors I need to work on cars anymore.

a swift kick in the ass might do the trick lol

Vanilla Sky
11-20-2009, 02:21 AM
nah, i need someone to hand me a beer while i'm working on it

MessyHonda
11-21-2009, 01:39 AM
every hour take a 10 for a beer break

Vanilla Sky
11-21-2009, 01:41 AM
but then i'd need a designated wrencher. I still need someone else to sit around and tell me I should do it a different way.

stat1K
11-22-2009, 10:34 AM
^^ this is my problem now dude, i moved and i don't have lx-incredible telling me to stop being a ghetto bitch and do it right lol...

Tomisimo
12-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Its a great motivator to have someone to work with.. Some of you guys are lucky to live close to eachother.

Good Work Vanilla, I like your coup. When you get tired of it, I might be interested in it :D

Vanilla Sky
12-04-2009, 04:31 AM
So I'm thinking about trading the car. I've just lost interest in the project. If I do sell, I won't get another 3gee unless it's a hatch. I'm going to give Justin first buyback rights, then I'll consider trading it for something in the beginning of next year.

LewZur
12-04-2009, 08:14 AM
So I'm thinking about trading the car. I've just lost interest in the project. If I do sell, I won't get another 3gee unless it's a hatch. I'm going to give Justin first buyback rights, then I'll consider trading it for something in the beginning of next year.

That sucks that you've lost interest, it's happened to me a few times. I lost interest in my 3rd gen for almost a year until I finally decided to do the fi conversion. What do you have in mind for your next project?

Vanilla Sky
12-04-2009, 08:44 AM
I want to eventually trade up to a Jeep Wrangler. Either a YJ or a TJ. I'll probably trade up through another Nissan since I have a lot of spares and can get a crappy one for cheap and rebuild it. I figure I can get about $1000 out of the 3gee come tax season. Justin gets first buyback rights, though.

LewZur
12-04-2009, 08:57 AM
I want a CJ-8, I love those too bad they're so hard to find.

MessyHonda
12-05-2009, 02:02 AM
all it needs its a trany swap? to get it going

labeledsk8r
12-05-2009, 09:53 AM
its got the trany swaped... it only needs an alignment and tires from what i remember now, then normal touch up paint stuff. i probably would buy it back from you aswell except im broke as a joke and dont see any raises any time soon till like tax income season lol

Vanilla Sky
12-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I'll probably be selling it around tax season. You'll get a special deal on it, though.

LewZur
12-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I just want those rims for my DX sexy

Vanilla Sky
12-05-2009, 11:22 AM
They're ok. One of them has a slight bend that can be balanced out. They're pretty well worn and need a paint job pretty badly.

I might work on getting some of the details worked out in the next couple of months. I need to throw the battery on the charger again and move it to where I can work on it. It needs to be cleaned up and it really needs a good on-road shake down.

Vanilla Sky
07-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Alright guys, this is my first ever build thread. I've been on the internet and on car forums for over half of my life. I've had many projects, but I've never documented one. I'm looking to change that with this thread.

Over the past couple of weeks, my Jeep XJ has been giving me enough problems to consider getting rid of it. I took it off the road today because it's just not safe to drive anymore. That leaves me needing a new vehicle. Being that I'm a pack rat, and that I had at least one of these cars since I was 14, I know them pretty well and have accumulated a lot of parts, including some relatively rare parts. In this thread, I'm going to show you how clean and reliable you can make a car that has been sitting for years.

I purchased this car for $350 from a 3geez member with a dead transmission. Since I had a spare transmission on hand, I did the swap, pulled the car around the house, and let it sit for years. I've moved it around on occasion, but for the past 2 years, I couldn't get it to start.

The first thing I did was drain the fuel tank and remove it. The car was parked with a nearly full tank, but I only drained out about 3 gallons. I cleaned out the tank, reinstalled it with all new evap hoses, installed a new high flow fuel pump and promptly let the car sit for another six months.

Today I decided I was going to just get the damned thing running again so I could drive something that's fun to drive again.

I tossed a good battery in it, poured in a couple gallons of fuel, and nothing. It won't start. There is certainly fuel in the tank, but it was apparently expected to have about 2 gallons or so that's left unusable, presumably to catch crud. I'll get some more gas tomorrow and give it another shot and we'll see where we are.

Now for the pics.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/376414_460441513973509_498329903_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/524048_460441600640167_107223450_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/252651_460441623973498_892196639_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/555800_460441673973493_1107294216_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531653_460441713973489_1826595518_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/563465_460441757306818_1179020474_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/560896_460441863973474_911470144_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/582626_460441883973472_1000181478_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/602569_460441937306800_2029627116_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/425523_460441987306795_842452248_n.jpg

2oodoor
07-09-2012, 04:30 PM
:stick:why you neglect car...
This is inspiring, keep the pace.

What wrong with xj , death wobble?

Legend_master
07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Nice project, car looks pretty good for being outside for so long.

Vanilla Sky
07-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Something in the clutch hydraulic system is failing, the starter is barely held onto the bellhousing and has to be tightened up regularly, and I have at least 3 leaking freeze plugs. I really just don't want to be arsed with it as a daily driver for a while. It's either going to be a drivetrain donor for something or will get fixed. The engine itself runs to well to send it straight to the crusher without at least parting it out.

The car is clean, from 15 feet away. The previous previous owner had it repainted and there is overspray everywhere. There were clearly no attempts to fix it. I have a friend who paints, so I'll have him help me out when it comes to that time.

redaztec
07-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Glad you're getting it going again! I totally understand losing interest for a while - I've let every project I have sit when working on it gets to be a chore, and it's always much more fun once I pick it back up again. Keep up the good work!

87roach
07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I was wondering what had happened to this car.. good to see you're going to do something about it. Some major cleaning looks to be needed but it looks solid!

That turbo going on? hehe

Vanilla Sky
07-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I've had this sitting here, almost as a backup car in case one of ours got crashed and we needed a second in a hurry. I started it up and ran it for 10 minutes or so once or twice a week until the battery was taken out.

Today's progress was slow. It still isn't starting. I have spark because it will start with a manifold of carb cleaner in it. It will also run for a few seconds after it fires over, albeit at a very low idle, under 500 RPM, on gas. I seem to be maintaining fuel pressure, so I don't think it's a fuel pressure issue. My next test will be to see if all of the injectors are being triggered, and then if they are, I'm replacing the injectors with a set from another car. I might end up testing all of them and putting together a set. If that doesn't solve the issue, I'm going to swap the distributor out to eliminate that. I have already tried another coil, although it was an old stock coil. I have an MSD Blaster 2 coil I plan on installing one way or the other, so I might install that as part of troubleshooting.

I didn't take any pictures today because I haven't really made any changes. I'll take some as soon as I clean it up and I'll get it on film when I get it running.

ecogabriel
07-12-2012, 01:50 PM
From afar, it seems the problem is in the fuel system. I would try cleaning everything from the fuel filter forward, and then replace the fuel filter.
If the fuel injectors are the problem, I have used this service to clean and restore my fuel injectors in both Hondas (3G and 5G Civic)

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/viewcategory.php?groupid=78

Vanilla Sky
07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
I got it running. I had a spare set of fuel injectors (I mean, who here doesn't?) that I cleaned and installed. Primed the system and it started right up.

Evidence here. (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=461352493882411)

redaztec
07-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Awesome, glad to hear it is running!

dbales
07-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Car looks good. Cant wait to see what's next.

Vanilla Sky
07-16-2012, 11:09 PM
My Si wheels get blasted tomorrow in preparation for paint. I'm considering just dropping the dough for a set of brand new tires. That way I don't have a set of janky used tires on there.

Doward
08-08-2012, 10:42 PM
How's this going? I'm finally getting around to putting my '89 LXi Coupe back together here...

Vanilla Sky
08-19-2012, 09:39 PM
I got my wheels painted today. I think they look pretty nice, but they do need some wet sanding to make really nice. Considering the hard curb rash I dealt with on one, I'm pretty happy overall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/P8200283.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/P8200284.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/P8200285.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/wannabe_otaku/P8200286.jpg

Civic Accord Honda
08-19-2012, 11:14 PM
looks very good

Vanilla Sky
08-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Will look much better after some polishing. I'm waiting for the paint to cure.

Doward
08-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Nice job! What wheels are those?

MessyHonda
08-20-2012, 07:11 PM
99-00 honda civic Si wheel 15 inch 4x100

Vanilla Sky
08-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah, we kinda fell into them. We traded some interior parts from my brother in law's crashed BMW for these wheels. One of them had been curbed pretty hard. I filled in the damaged and you really can't tell now.

The paint is still too soft to sand. The high humidity is contributing to the long cure time. I hope I don't burn through the paint, as it's probably best that I wait at least 2 weeks before I did any repaint work.

charliekuney
08-21-2012, 01:11 AM
~Coupe the color of mayonnaise.~