PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1 Vacuum Line Removal Questions

garfunkle55
10-27-2008, 11:10 PM
I've been considering the stage one vacuum line removal for a little while and was just wondering if anybody that's done it has some pictures of what it looks like.

Also, how would the carb handle western washington weather? Has anybody in washington done this vacuum removal? I'd prefer it if I didn't have to deal with problems starting my car in the morning after doing this modification. Just trying to make sure this is something that I would be happy with before I start tearing into it.

Thanks for any input.
1986 Honda Accord LX sedan
(automatic transaxle)

2oodoor
10-28-2008, 06:47 AM
When I was using that carb, I removed the entire choke idle cont. hardware, and wired the blade to stay open. I never had a problem starting my car in 20 degree weather. Just a few pumps on the pedal and it started fine without all that.

garfunkle55
10-30-2008, 09:10 AM
right on, I've started on the vacuum removal. I've pretty much got it finished. I just wanted to know since I've taken the ac compressor out, do I need those black vacuum tubes on the driver's side wheel well over by where the cruise control used to be? I'm not entirely sure what all they hook up to but from the looks of it I won't need them any more. Just checkin to make sure I don't go pulling stuff that needs to stay. Thanks again.

2oodoor
10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
some of that is windshield washer stuff I think, a lot of that over there on the drivers side wheel well has electrical so be careful what you unplug.

garfunkle55
10-30-2008, 10:57 AM
alright, what about the tubes that were connected to the metal vacuum tubes on the back of the carb? I can just cap those ones right?

garfunkle55
10-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I finished the stage one vacuum line removal project today, it seems to be running pretty well. There's still a few things that I have to finish cleaning up. The AVS exhaust line, I need to get a plug that'll fit in the header where it comes out. (If anybody knows off the top of their head what size it might be that'd be great.) I've still gotta finish removing the charcoal canister and whatever else the carb isn't using anymore. Also wouldn't hurt to re-route the vacuum lines just so they look organized and not just all over the place. And finally get new vacuum caps cause i've got those blue, yellow, white, red, and black ones on there plus some tape in a few spots, those will be replaced today if I can get some more caps.
Seems like I haven't really finished it yet, but I've got it running at least so that's a bonus.

2oodoor
10-30-2008, 01:20 PM
I made a plug out of the flare nut from the tube. I just cut the tube, slid the nut off and welded a short bolt and washer in it to fill up the hole. That kind of thread is not that common, You could try a hydraulic hose fabircator, they may have something that would make a plug.

garfunkle55
10-30-2008, 01:57 PM
I think I'll just take your idea and do that, I've got it plugged and taken care of for now but it isn't very aesthetically pleasing. Thanks for advice.

2oodoor
10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
:D
I think I'll just take your idea and do that, I've got it plugged and taken care of for now but it isn't very aesthetically pleasing. Thanks for advice.

on one of my cars I left the tube in place and put a dry wine cork in the end, it went in pretty good and stayed. I put some duct tape on the tip but really did not need to.
here, you cant really see the cork but you can see the tape lol
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1212441062.jpg

garfunkle55
10-30-2008, 02:11 PM
haha it's funny cause I cut the part where the tube threads into the AVS off and capped it with some high heat gasket maker and a piece of metal I had laying around then just duct taped the hell out of it. Then re-bolted that piece back down, it reminds me of yours.

2oodoor
10-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Mr Awesome? :koolaid:

ooooo k then....
anyway this is how you do away with that other pesky device , see anything missing?
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1223071260.jpg

garfunkle55
10-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Mr. awesome was from this one time, i was watching some kids with this chick I knew and a kid asked what my name was so I told them to call me Mr. Awesome and they did. It was .... awesome.

Any ways, I've seen your thread about this intake, I've actually been trying to duplicate it. Though the one I'm working on has the pcv tube hacked off along with the supports and that spot to bolt something on is gone too. It just isn't very smooth looking, and I'm not sure how to get rid of the EGR hook up cause I don't know how far around to cut without having to weld stuff together.

What are the dimples in the plenum for? That's the plenum right?

2oodoor
10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
I have done NO welding on this intake except for a port in the back !!
All of it is material removed.
The dimples are to add surface to the bottom because of a puddling issue I have with a 38 weber. More surface, the more gas will evaporate by spreading out, thus not causing as much of a hot soak flooding issue.

garfunkle55
10-30-2008, 02:54 PM
well that's good news, that means I can remove it on my intake. And that makes sense. I've had my eye on getting a 38 just haven't had the fundage yet, but I'll get one eventually. I'm currently making my intake for when I get a weber, that way I'll just pull the old one off and throw my new intake and carb on at the same time.