PDA

View Full Version : my old and beat up LXi coupe

Andagail
10-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I have a 1989 LXi coupe with a few things wring with it. I got it for free. I am getting things fixed as I can afford it. I am definitely not a car repair person. It is totally over my head. I have no problem letting the guys fix my car. ;)

I had the brakes done on my car and I still have the shimmy when I brake. I had the front pads, rotors, and calipers replaced. My brother said it still might be the same brake problem he just fixed???

I need to have both front cv axles replaced. I am going to do that (get it done by a mechanic) in the middle of November when I get paid. Maybe the whole problem with the shimmy and rattling when I turn will go away when I get the axles replaced. The guy said he do it for $125 for both sides. He's my brother's brother-in-law.

What do you all think? The Midas people want an arm and a leg. After I get the mechanics fixed, I plan to get the body looking presentable.

Andagail

russiankid
10-28-2008, 11:25 AM
If you have completely new brakes then I would look into suspension bushings and or tires.

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Gainesville, right? Do you still have that crumpled hood? If you get a chance, drive over to Palatka and I'll trade you for a nicer hood and then I can test drive the car and give a better diagnosis.

I'm cool with trading hoods because I'm just in it for scrap weight now. I have so many spares that I don't need.

Andagail
10-28-2008, 02:24 PM
russiankid, would those be wheel bearings? I mentioned what you said to my brother and he said it might be that. I wonder what is involved in fixing that? including $$ I think it would make sense to fix it all at the same time. I might be able to go as high as $150 on Nov. 15th, but that's all.

Vanilla Sky, yes, I am in Gainesville. I will keep you in mind for the hood. I also need a grille put on. And a bumper lift. :) My neice really messed up the front end.
Before I do anything else, I need to get the axles done. I plan to have a decent car to last me awhile. The car has only about 122k or so miles on it.

I am watching the ingoing saga on your new car purchase. :)

Andagail

greentee76
10-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I still have a minor shimmy in mine during braking, new rotors and calipers, I'm leaning towards tie rod end and ball joints in my case. It needs them anyway. If I were you I'd get the cv's done first and see where you are then.
Good luck.

Dr_Snooz
10-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why Honda brakes love to shake and shimmy. My brakes are great most all the time; really linear and glassy smooth. Nevertheless, every so often when I hit the brakes hard on the highway, the whole front end shakes.

I haven't done the brakes on this car yet, but when I do, I plan to look carefully for wear on every part, especially the slider bolts.

labeledsk8r
10-28-2008, 07:29 PM
try the brake caliper brackets... i had the same shimmer after re doing all my brakes.. changed those out and the problem went away... there normaly not changed when a brake job is done....

and welcome to 3geez

Dr_Snooz
10-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Oh yeah, you definitely want to bed-in the brakes (http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm) after replacing.

russiankid
10-29-2008, 09:52 AM
russiankid, would those be wheel bearings? I mentioned what you said to my brother and he said it might be that. I wonder what is involved in fixing that? including $$ I think it would make sense to fix it all at the same time. I might be able to go as high as $150 on Nov. 15th, but that's all.

Vanilla Sky, yes, I am in Gainesville. I will keep you in mind for the hood. I also need a grille put on. And a bumper lift. :) My neice really messed up the front end.
Before I do anything else, I need to get the axles done. I plan to have a decent car to last me awhile. The car has only about 122k or so miles on it.

I am watching the ingoing saga on your new car purchase. :)

Andagail

In most cases, your wheel bearing would create some type of noise if it were going out. I have never seen wheel bearings cause a shimmy when braking. Suspension bushings is what your shock absorbers mount to and what holds the suspension to the car. They absorb a lot of the impact so you won't feel it as much. If they are rotted out, they will cause the suspension to be unstable.

MessyHonda
10-31-2008, 07:04 PM
welcome