PDA

View Full Version : paint restore?

chowder
10-30-2008, 12:22 PM
is there some kind of solution or wash thing i can use to restore paint? my roof is faded from 20 years of sitting out during those warm california summers and i heard that there might be some kind of thing i can restore the paint with?

any help much appreciated i want clean looking paint

ghettogeddy
10-30-2008, 12:30 PM
is there some kind of solution or wash thing i can use to restore paint? my roof is faded from 20 years of sitting out during those warm california summers and i heard that there might be some kind of thing i can restore the paint with?

any help much appreciated i want clean looking paint

no not really just to get it painted

once its faded there isent really anything to bring it back

chowder
10-30-2008, 12:41 PM
ahh k might as well wait til i get the body kit on then, then we go flat black! stealth bomber accords will own

evil88accordLX
10-30-2008, 12:43 PM
you can try using a mild polishing compound to remove the exterior layer of faded paint. i did this about 3 months ago and it really brought the paint back to life. my car is a light gold color, so the fading wasnt really that bad though.

chowder
10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
yea i drive a pretty rare phoenix so i dunno how the red will come back its pretty pink up top then the rest of the paint is just scratched and chipped in a few places

evil88accordLX
10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
its at least worth a shot. polishing compound will also remove any mild scratches in your paint. ive used it on numerous things, including my drumset and a pair of skis. just make sure you THOROUGHLY wash the car first to remove all dirt and wax, you dont want anything on the paint surface. i like Dawn, it removes wax, grease, bugs, etc. plus this is way less expensive than new paint. just make sure you have a day free to dedicate to it as it takes some time to do properly.

86ccord
10-30-2008, 01:02 PM
get some really fine sand paper.. like some 1000+ grit wet sand sandpaper.. and just sand and sand and uhh sand some more and buff and polish and lets see.. wax the piss outta it and you should be good..

by the time that gets done you might as well have sanded the car down and got it all prepped for paint.. haha

chowder
10-30-2008, 01:16 PM
i might try evils idea and see how that comes out i need to get a dent out of my door though hah

Hazwan
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
get some really fine sand paper.. like some 1000+ grit wet sand sandpaper.. and just sand and sand and uhh sand some more and buff and polish and lets see.. wax the piss outta it and you should be good..

by the time that gets done you might as well have sanded the car down and got it all prepped for paint.. haha

I wouldn't do that to a 20 year old paint. The paint might already thin enough, risking of sanding through the clear layer. Same can be said for heavy polishing compund. Be careful!

Post some pics, faded paint can be brought back to life provided there are no peeling clear or some sort.

Dr_Snooz
10-30-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't think you're going to have much luck with polishing or sanding. There is a clear coat over the paint, so you'll get to the paint after you've sanded through the clear coat. When you've done that, you'll be able to see the mess from space. That's not exactly what you're after.

My car is also red. It was faded and the clear coat was toast. Polishing only made it more pink, more dull and the clear coat more horrendous. I got a paint job from Maaco here for $600 and it looks awesome. I highly recommend it.

gfrg88
10-30-2008, 07:29 PM
roll on some red paint ;)

Civic Accord Honda
10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
i hadm a 82 army green caviler faded to hell looked like primer LOL .wetsanded it with 1000-2000grit sand paper then waxed it and it came out nice and glossy

RamThis
10-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Yep the UV rays have finally degraded the clearcoat layer to the point it's failing and probably almost gone. There is no fix for it other than to repaint the vehicle. My 96 Integra had this problem. Black car that came from Houston. Spent the rest of its life in DFW sun, the whole top nice and uniformly turned white-ish as the clearcoat started to fail, and then it all just wore off and left the black basecoat exposed on the whole top of the car. I was able to bring a half ass decent shine back to it, for a couple months. Once the wax wore off, it looked worse than ever.

Get prepared for a repaint.......