PDA

View Full Version : double sided tape

evil88accordLX
10-30-2008, 01:54 PM
anyone used this on the door mouldings? i want to repaint them, but would rather take them off to do so as not to mess up the paint. i know how to remove the mouldings, but i fear breaking the clips because they are so old.

84Accord
10-30-2008, 02:00 PM
anyone used this on the door mouldings? i want to repaint them, but would rather take them off to do so as not to mess up the paint. i know how to remove the mouldings, but i fear breaking the clips because they are so old.

ive used the red 3M double sided tape used for holding on emblems. as long as the surface is dry and clean of dirt it holds great. i have my front honda emblem on there with that stuff and its been about 5 months now with washing it and everything and hasn't moved at all.

evil88accordLX
10-30-2008, 02:05 PM
think it would stand up to the weight of the moulding and the constant jarring of closing the door?

2oodoor
10-30-2008, 02:12 PM
just take your time and use the blue 3m masking tape with newspape or masking paper. Make sure and put a piece of mask inside the door jam at the moulding.
There could be some paint lifting on the bumpers, so test a spot. You can go ahead and clean off the strip good on the bumpers then put a light wax on the part not to be painted, then mask up the bumper and rewipe the strip being painted with prep solvent.

2oodoor
10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
all of the newer cars use 3m double sticky tape on those wide mouldings, so yes it would work but an aweful lot of extra work IMO

84Accord
10-30-2008, 02:43 PM
all of the newer cars use 3m double sticky tape on those wide mouldings, so yes it would work but an aweful lot of extra work IMO

exactly roodoo. ive used em to replace the side moldings on a jeep. stays on great

DBMaster
10-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Make sure you buy the 3M Heavy Duty stuff. The foam part is gray rather than white. I have had excellent results with everything I have attached with it and it is made for outdoor use. If you put your moldings back on with this stuff you may never get them off again! :)

Civic Accord Honda
10-30-2008, 03:19 PM
i used drywall screws on my LXI LOL! i don't recommend it also the guy i got my DX from had the drivers side one held on with drywall screws aswell haha

lostforawhile
10-30-2008, 04:03 PM
there is another 3m red tape that is made for door moldings on cars, thats what i plan on using, A lot of OEMs use it and it's supposed to be so strong you have to cut it to remove it.

DBMaster
10-30-2008, 05:08 PM
there is another 3m red tape that is made for door moldings on cars, thats what i plan on using, A lot of OEMs use it and it's supposed to be so strong you have to cut it to remove it.

Can you let me know where you find it? Up till now I thought the strongest available was the gray heavy duty stuff. It has held up well, but if the red stuff you are talking about is thinner than the gray stuff it would be better for some applications - even non-car stuff.

Thanks!

Dr_Snooz
10-30-2008, 05:41 PM
For the trim on my back window, I went to the junkyard and started removing trim until I learned how to do it without breaking the clips. Then I harvested enough clips to reattach my trim. I went to the cashier with a fistful of clips and she waved me out the door without charging me anything. I recommend that strategy for reattaching trim.

Woohoo! :thumbup:

RamThis
10-30-2008, 06:11 PM
3M VHB 1/16 or so thick double sided trim adhesive. Most any auto parts place should have it or any auto body/paint supply. All new emblems and door mouldings from probably about early to mid-90's and up went away with clips and started using a foam-like two sided adhesive tape. It's amazingly tough, you have to use fishing line to cut through it to remove an emblem, then use cleaners to remove the adhesive, it wont let go trust me. I pulled the tailgate protector off my 96 Dodge when I was getting ready to paint it, and it was adhered so well it actually pulled the metal skin up and made reverse dents (bumps) in my tailgate!!!!! I leared the fishing line trick after that lol.

Stuff I'd recommend....
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Automotive/OEM/Prod_Info/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S0S0_nid=T0VTLH8198beV 0141B40KNgl

All the adhesive tapes (30 mil would suit you best I think).
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Automotive/OEM/Prod_Info/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S0S0_nid=LPRG9LQ8HPbeV 0141B40KNgl

evil88accordLX
10-31-2008, 10:02 AM
thanks guys, looks like this is the route i will be taking then.

roodoo, i thought about masking off the car, but i have no garage now and the wind hates me. with my luck, it would be a calm day until i start spraying. dont wanna chance it. plus i feel i can do a better job with the mouldings off the car.

dr. snooz, good idea about the clips. i will have to give that a try. unfortunately my local pick a part yard only has one 3gee though.

russiankid
10-31-2008, 04:47 PM
I just used double sided tape to mount my ballasts for my HID's in my BMW. Well after realizing I screwed up I had to use a screw driver to pry the damn ballast from the body. So good quality tape will hold.

Dr_Snooz
10-31-2008, 07:54 PM
thanks guys, looks like this is the route i will be taking then.

roodoo, i thought about masking off the car, but i have no garage now and the wind hates me. with my luck, it would be a calm day until i start spraying. dont wanna chance it. plus i feel i can do a better job with the mouldings off the car.

dr. snooz, good idea about the clips. i will have to give that a try. unfortunately my local pick a part yard only has one 3gee though.

Yeah, I pulled the trim off of about 30 cars. At least that's what it felt like doing it in 100 degree sun. Maybe not 30 but it was every 3g in the yard.