PDA

View Full Version : cold start and idle troubles...please help

3rdGenNewbie
10-30-2008, 03:27 PM
wussup everyone.... :help:

wana start out by sayin hello, and thanks for your time.... i have an 87 accord lxi, and this is drivin me crazy. its hard as f*** to start it up in the morn. i need to crank it like 10-15 times before itll turn over. tryed just turnin the key to maybe prime the fuel pump without pressin the throttle. doesnt work. itll crank usually twice then turnover jus to bog out n not start. i checked my vacuum lines they seem to be ok. and from what ive been gatherin in here its not a sensor (whether its a coolant, intake, or whatever). this only occurs in the morn and once mid day on a hot start or warmed up start.

what can cause this.....? (btw) i will be doin a basic tune..wires plugs yada.

now.....once it does start up it revs high...exactly at 2grand. after that first stage of the warm up process the idle drops n raises drasticly. best way to describe without sound effects.....bounces from about 17-1800 down to 1000 and repeats for about 3-4 mins. now this occurs on every cold start. if the car has been sittin for a few hours hasnt happened when its warm ...yet.

any and all answers to these questions would be highly appriciated.
again thank you for you time. :uh:

Oldblueaccord
10-30-2008, 04:14 PM
did you check for a trouble code in the ECU?
Instructions are at the top pf this page.

Usually the cold start problem is one of the temp sensors.

wp

3rdGenNewbie
10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
ok...cool, i think i might have got it though... like i said i was tinkering around in the engine yesterday might have been a loose connection in one of the sensors. but as for the idle prob.... i adjusted the set screw to a lower idle i think it was jus getting to much gas or maybe was just in a very wierd position. but this morn so far so good......

Kabuki
10-31-2008, 09:12 PM
??? The screw on the throttle body? That only affects the AIR bleed. Also, your idle fluctuation is usually a vacuum leak. Check all of your emissions control vacuum hoses. Also, if the Fast Idle ThermoValve is bad, it will act like that too, because it is just a thermostatically controlled vacuum leak. Which also means, that an air bubble in the cooling system, or low coolant level can cause the same thing.