PDA

View Full Version : Altenator belt problem

Timaculent
10-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Man if its not one thing its another.
My altenator belt always makes a squealing noise. it have a brand new altenator and pully. i just put in a brant new altenator belt yesterday when i did the full flush and ac install. now this morning when i started my car i hear a loud squealing noise from the belt. I tightened it really good so i dont understand. when i had the other belt i would losen it and it would get louder.

any advise is appreciated.

jpetrovic
10-30-2008, 06:33 PM
well belt squeelz mean a bearing is going out on a pully or the belt isnt tight enough.

Pico
10-30-2008, 06:33 PM
you just need to readjust the tension, the belt probably stretch a bit since yesterday when you installed it

Timaculent
10-30-2008, 06:38 PM
well belt squeelz mean a bearing is going out on a pully or the belt isnt tight enough.

I have it really tight already.

Timaculent
10-30-2008, 06:39 PM
you just need to readjust the tension, the belt probably stretch a bit since yesterday when you installed it

I will tighten it in the morning but its weird I always had this problem. man this sucks.

Pico
10-30-2008, 06:45 PM
I will tighten it in the morning but its weird I always had this problem. man this sucks.

get some belt dressing from the parts store that should help out also

Timaculent
10-30-2008, 06:46 PM
get some belt dressing from the parts store that should help out also

I never saw that what is that like a grease

Pico
10-30-2008, 06:51 PM
I never saw that what is that like a grease
sort of, it makes the belt sticky so that it will grab better, use only a little of it on the underside of the belt

Timaculent
10-30-2008, 06:57 PM
sort of, it makes the belt sticky so that it will grab better, use only a little of it on the underside of the belt

thanks i will

Josh89accord
10-30-2008, 06:58 PM
I swear, I have the same exact problem with my car.

Rendon LX-i
10-30-2008, 07:24 PM
used to then i tighten it THEN after that my bearing on my water pump with out cuz of that lol but new pump new belt all gone lol...i know man its bs

RamThis
10-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I'd stay away from belt dressing that stuff is bad news for the belt's longevity.

If it's squealing then one of the pulleys is glazed over (too slick and worn out), the tension is too loose, or you got some coolant or oil on it when installing it, which will just have to wear off on it's own. If you had greasy hands while handling the belt this is probably your problem. The rubber and cording on the outside will absorb that grease off your hands or any part of the block/oil pan where it may have gotten pushed up against it.

2oodoor
10-31-2008, 02:55 AM
^^^ absoluteley what he said!
also your pulley alignment could be off

Timaculent
11-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Could Be The Pully Aligment I Will Change It To Another Water Pump Pully In A Few Days.

fogged
11-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I had the same thing happen and it turned out that the alt. pulley was off by just a lil. I took it lose then put it back on and its been fine. Id look at the pulleys.