PDA

View Full Version : Two successful operations!

JeremyR
10-31-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't talk a lot on here, but I have been slowly transforming my `87 LX-i (a while back I installed a cold air intake). This past week I continued in the performance-enhancement vein by installing a Pacesetter header. I also got a wild hair to replace the broken power antenna with a new one.

I'm not sure which job was more work! Fortunately, most of the exhaust system nuts and bolts had very little rust (the header bolts were particularly clean), so they came off with little more than an application of PB Blaster. But the nuts fastening the exhaust pipe (is it the downpipe?) to the cat had a good layer of rust caked on. I thought I was going to have to cut them off, but then I got the idea to grind the rust off the flats (the ones I could reach, anyway). This allowed me to get the proper-sized (12mm) wrench on the nuts, and they came off with just a little coaxing with a hammer. I was able to install the new exhaust plumbing more or less without incident.

I have no way of measuring the performance gains, but the car "feels" faster. There seems to be a bit of a resonance or similar effect around 1800~1900 RPM and again at around ~3600-3800. (Since one of these is exactly double the other, I'm chalking it up to resonance, anyway.) It's difficult to characterize since it happens only under acceleration/load and only happens for a split second--but always in the same part of the rev range. Maybe it will go away when I get the rest of the exhaust system replaced.

Then there was the power antenna. Apparently Honda thought these things would never break, or they wouldn't have made them so difficult to get to! As others have warned, the motor is way up underneath the dash, with various things in the way that didn't have to be where Honda put them. And the original antenna wire inexplicably snakes up into the dash somewhere and eventually comes back down to plug into the radio. Consequently there's no way to remove it; I ended up cutting it off at both ends and left the inaccessible piece in there.

I almost gave up several times; after all, the antenna would have worked fine had I left it disconnected from the motor. But I persisted and eventually prevailed--the new antenna works almost perfectly. I say almost because it doesn't retract fully; it stops at about six inches of extension. I suspect there's still a piece of the previous drive cable left in the motor (I say this because when I pulled the old, broken drive cable out, it didn't have the ball on the end of it). To get that out would likely require pulling the motor out--and I am not going there!

Any suggestions what to do next? I'd eventually like to do the following...

shocks (revalved Bilsteins) and springs (1" lowering)
exhaust system--high-flow cat and muffler
upgraded wheels--15" or maybe 16"

Cheers,
Jeremy

Dr_Snooz
10-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Second the antenna. It's a real bugger. I've pulled quite a number of them from cars at the wrecking yard before I found a keeper. It helps to get to the motor if you remove as much of the fuse block as possible. There are about 50,000 connectors going into it so complete removal isn't really practical. Just get as much as possible. Once you're to this point, getting the motor out is relatively easy. Just get the drain pipe back into the correct spot when you put it back.

The wire across the dash is also something. It helps to pull the lower dash panel over the driver footwell. If you resign yourself to pulling it out, section by section, one at a time, it's much easier than trying to pull it from one end in a single go. It helps more if someone has partially disassembled the dash before you, but that's only when it's a junkyard car.

Anyway, we want pics!

l75eya
11-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I think aside from producing long lasting cars, Honda's other goal in life is to make working on them one of the most difficult things to do known to man. Everything on these cars just happens to be located in the most inhumane, deserted, forgotten nooks and crannies in these things lol.

russiankid
11-02-2008, 11:38 AM
The fuse box is easy to remove. Just remove the connectors that are facing you when you access it. Then remove the two nuts that hold it to the dash and it remove the rear connectors.

JeremyR
11-02-2008, 02:47 PM
At some point I did actually remove the fuse box--it just didn't help all that much with access.

griffonks
11-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Jeremy, I'm your neighbor over in Boulder, CO. I have an 89 LX... welcome

JeremyR
11-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey, thanks!

MessyHonda
11-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I think aside from producing long lasting cars, Honda's other goal in life is to make working on them one of the most difficult things to do known to man. Everything on these cars just happens to be located in the most inhumane, deserted, forgotten nooks and crannies in these things lol.

you just need the right tools. :chainsaw: