PDA

View Full Version : rear drum brake shoe clip

l75eya
11-02-2008, 12:34 PM
There has been a god awful squealing noise coming from the rear brakes since I got my car. I assumed it was the shoes being worn down to the rivets and grinding the hell out of the drum (Yeah, I know, that's when it's beyond time to do the brakes lol). Finally, I found the time to take the drums off and have a look, and I was surprised to see that there was plenty of meat left on the shoes and the drums were smooth as silk. I did discover, however, that there is a clip missing from one of the shoes that's apparently supposed to hold the shoe firm and flat against the hub. Without the clip the brakes are still working, but the shoe must be torquing sideways a little bit when the brakes are applied and that's what's been making the squealing noise. I make-shift fixed it with a screw, a couple of washers, and two bolts, but it's probably not going to hold for long. My question is does anybody know where in the hell I can get one of these clips? Anybody have spares laying around? I checked with autozone and they don't include any type of clips with shoes or anything, so ..well, I don't know what to do lol.

Oldblueaccord
11-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Try getting a "brake hardware kit" is what it would be called. It comes with all the springs clips etc. You did the correct thing pinning the shoe to the backing plate for the time being. You maybe able to find a universal pin and clip in the "help" auto parts section thats for domestics and such. I would replace them both since one is already rusted out it seems. The head rust out and falls thru the baking plate up north sometimes.

wp

l75eya
11-02-2008, 01:37 PM
That sounds like exactly what I need lol, I'll definitely check that out, thanks for the advice. :)

Oldblueaccord
11-02-2008, 01:59 PM
http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=541014&imageurl=http%3A//info.rockauto.com/Wagner/H14024_TOP.jpg

I found them on rockauto.com you can pull the part numbers for your local-yokal parts guys.

wp

Donnyten
10-16-2018, 08:54 AM
sorry to bring up an old thread.. but i'm curious to see how well the bolt/ screw and washer/ nut method worked out? i recently serviced my rear drums and days later heard the brakes dragging.. i got home, looked on the back wheel hub plate and noticed those retaining screws were missing.. popped off the hub and both shoes and springs just popped out and fell to the ground. conclusion is both retaining pins somehow came out during driving and brackets fell off.. this is the second time it has hppened so i'm wondering if i should just use a bolt/ screw washer and a nut

Oldblueaccord
10-16-2018, 11:45 AM
sorry to bring up an old thread.. but i'm curious to see how well the bolt/ screw and washer/ nut method worked out? i recently serviced my rear drums and days later heard the brakes dragging.. i got home, looked on the back wheel hub plate and noticed those retaining screws were missing.. popped off the hub and both shoes and springs just popped out and fell to the ground. conclusion is both retaining pins somehow came out during driving and brackets fell off.. this is the second time it has hppened so i'm wondering if i should just use a bolt/ screw washer and a nut

Im thinking operator error in the install. The clip that holds the shoes to the backing plate just need to be rotated 180 degrees on the "nail" every drum brake system I have every seen does it this way. There is a tool for the clip but I just use vise grips. Get two new ones and play around with them before you install it. Use a clamp on the brake shoes if you need too to keep it from snaping close on you like a Connie bear trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4ccuyaz_Sw

Important: the shoes on drum brakes must be free on the backing platey the actually twist when you apply pressure and jam against the drum. Im sure there is a you tube on how they work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnc3VnQ8kUY

Donnyten
10-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Absolutely right. Operator error install. I compressed( bent) the retaining brackets to get the pin in for easy install Not thinking they were tension brackets . and i was wondering why the shoes werent firmly flush against the back plate

Dr_Snooz
10-18-2018, 07:55 PM
If you think those are fun, try doing the brakes on a 1-ton axle. Everything is about 6x heavier.