PDA

View Full Version : removing the ac evaporator for under dash clearance

lostforawhile
11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Ok i am doing a unique radio install where when the glovebox is opened,you will see the radio at the back of it,but the radio will be mounted to a steel plate under the dash. in order to do this,the ac box has to go. it's no good anyway. the problem is, the heater box is in the middle of the dash,and the blower is on the other side. so heres my solution in mockup at the moment. this is the plate that attached to the huge hole in the side of the heater box, the round silicone ducting,will run up behind the radio and attach to the blower. the only reason the hole is so big,is they wanted to slow the air velocity down,so the ac core could cool the air, without it,all you need is a 3 inch hose, the air flowing into the heater plenum will slow plenty to absorb heat from it all you are doing is moving pressurized air from the blower housing to the heater plenum. it doesn't matter where it enters,as long as it's sealed. the black on the corners, it's there to make sure i marked the plate in exactly the right place. I happened to have a roll of the same foam stuff that was used to put together the factory system. I have everything in this garage. :thumbup: it's the same black high density moldable foam crap. i will run it all along the plate edges to seal it to the heater box. tomorrow the tube gets tig welded on,and the hole in the middle of it gets drilled. I was out there at the plant at eight tonight sawing and sanding the edges with a flashlight,the breakers for the lights were off. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020014-2.jpg

lostforawhile
11-03-2008, 01:23 PM
ok will post some pictures after a bit, got the piece all tig welded up, made the piece for the blower end out of wood,with a three inch aluminum tube, will work fine for moving air, it clamps into the original blower clamp. the other piece is all aluminum, it will be near the heater box,so i wanted metal. they connect together three inch silicone hose. the hose seems small,but you have to figure i don't have the air velocity loss,of the air going through the evaporator core eithier, so should be plenty of air.

lostforawhile
11-03-2008, 03:41 PM
just came in, it's a son of a bitch working under the passenger side dash,when you don't have clearance to open that door, I'm over six foot and i have to lay across the drivers seat and over the parking brake. the plate for the heater unit is in, what a son of a bitch to get in. about to put in the piece on the blower,took some duct tape to seal it,but thats what duct tape is for. only place on the car where it belongs. I know one thing,aero duct does NOT like to make tight radius bends like i need

lostforawhile
11-03-2008, 06:28 PM
ok i give up for the night,my thumb just locked up and i can't open it, better clear up or it's back to the hospital.

Dr_Snooz
11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
ok i give up for the night,my thumb just locked up and i can't open it, better clear up or it's back to the hospital.

Oy. That sounds bad. I hope it clears up so you can finish. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.