PDA

View Full Version : hub bolt and tranny seal?

Dutchboy
09-25-2002, 09:07 AM
Okay just wondering what size the hub bolt is and if anyone has had to do the seal around the input shaft in the tranny??

the oil in the tranny is supposed to be regular oil and i dont think that it is ...and it appears that the seal is leaking...before i bought the car a new clutch was installed but then the car sat around for a few months and i dont think that the shop did a good job.

SHould i drain it and fill it with a thicker oil and some stop leak to hopefully stop it or just drop the tranny and replace the seal?

BEn

PhydeauX
09-25-2002, 10:24 AM
Its like 32mm or 33mm or something like that. 1 1/4" socket will fit it in a pinch. The trans uses 10w-40 oil. I'd do it right and replace the seal, then I don't mind the work. The seal isn't that bad to replace, you can do it with the tranny still in the car. I believe it can also be managed with out takeing the axle out from the hub. You'll have a bitch of a time getting that nut off anyway with out an impact wrench. Pop the lower ball joint out and you should be able to slide the axle far enough to get it out of the trans. Then just pop the old seal out and drive a new one it.

andy

Dutchboy
09-25-2002, 11:45 AM
ok thanks i thought it was a 32mm,,,so that must be right..

But the seal i mean is the one inside the tranny!.. the one around the input shaft.....right were the clutch fork is by...

I got oil leaking from inside the tranny and it comes out of the dust cover on the tranny...
theres no way to fix that without removing the tranny,.

Does stop leak crap actually work ????

Ben

PhydeauX
09-25-2002, 02:30 PM
D'oh. I should read into things more. That one is a bitch to change. Are you sure that its the tranny input not the rear main? You have to take the whole tranny apart to change that one. I've never used stop leak on a manual. But useing it on engines and auto trans usually only works on small leaks.

andy

ACCORD EX
09-25-2002, 03:34 PM
it's a 32 mm but a bitch to break loose !
you don't have to drop the tranny to change the seals !

MIKE

Dutchboy
09-26-2002, 09:34 AM
Well i might not have to do that after all since the leak is probably coming from the oil pan were it overlaps the dust sheild on the tranny...and then it was leaking onto the crossbeam mount..and on the ground...not for sure yet but i hope it is rather than the tranny seal..
thanks for the info none the less....i will keepp that for future use...need a 32mm socket and pickle fork then,..:p

Ben