PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Gasket Leaking

bank2me
11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey everyone I got my heater control fixed fortunately. So my honda is leaking oil and I beleive it is coming from the oil pan gasket. I was wondering how much of a bitch it is to change? I was reading haynes and it said to drop the crossmember. I was hoping maybe I could do it without dropping the crossmember. Is there any way to avoid it?

codyJDM
11-03-2008, 04:30 PM
The crossmember is extremely easy to take off. Just 5 or 6 bolts and it comes right off. Definitely the easiest part of that job

bank2me
11-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks Cody now how hard is the crossmember to put back on, In other words how heavy is it?

russiankid
11-03-2008, 05:21 PM
It weights about 20lbs if that. So its easy.

codyJDM
11-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks Cody now how hard is the crossmember to put back on, In other words how heavy is it?

It's really light man. When I did my tranny mount it came right off and went right back on. No worries at all. The oil pan gasket on the other hand, sucks. haha.

russiankid
11-03-2008, 05:51 PM
It's really light man. When I did my tranny mount it came right off and went right back on. No worries at all. The oil pan gasket on the other hand, sucks. haha.

Pan is easy as well.

Drop the exhaust and cross member. Take off the flywheel cover. Drain oil and remove the bolts that hold the pan on.

Well its easy when you do it 5 times.:wave:

AZmike
11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I've had good luck using several twist ties to keep the gasket on the pan while connecting the hose on the back and lifting the pan into place. Once all of the fasteners are back on loose it's easy to remove the ties leaving the gasket properly positioned.

Dr_Snooz
11-03-2008, 07:55 PM
I've had good luck using several twist ties to keep the gasket on the pan while connecting the hose on the back and lifting the pan into place. Once all of the fasteners are back on loose it's easy to remove the ties leaving the gasket properly positioned.

The tranny pan gasket on my Bimmer has small holes that you can thread the bolts into and they will not fall out. The bolts hold the gasket in place and the gasket keeps the bolts in position. How hard would it have been for Honda to do that? Instead, you get to roll around under the car, grunting and swearing, trying to hold up a 40# oil pan with one hand, while you thread in the bolts with the other. Meanwhile the stupid gasket slithers around like a greased eel and grimy schmutz from the engine block drips in your face.

Ugh. :beat:

ianjk46conv
11-03-2008, 07:59 PM
hey russian kid, you seem like the perfect person for the job!!! I live in NY, want to do my oil pan gasket?! I already bought the gasket, and took one look at the task at hand and figured I just deal with the little leak til it got horrible. F that noise.

syclinsam
11-04-2008, 03:59 AM
I just replaced my oil pan and gasket. The job was straight forward just taking off bolts and pieces to get to the pan. The tough part was getting the old pan off. The old gasket had the pan stuck bad. I finally got it by cutting into the old gasket where I could reach it and then prying it down a bit at a time.

After I had replaced all of this I still have a leak. :banghead: It now looks like the leak was not coming from my gasket or the rusty oil pan as I had thought. Now I think it is coming from the oil filter base gasket. Leaks down across the pan looking like it is the pan leaking. Search the forums for more info. That gasket cost 3 bucks. Check that first. Might save you some headache.

bank2me
11-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks Guys, Syclinsam i'll look into the oil filter base gasket. How hard of a bitch is that to replace?

Dr_Snooz
11-04-2008, 07:22 PM
It's kind of a pain too. You have to remove the oil pressure sender to get to the last bolt. There isn't much room back there to swing a big wrench between the block and the firewall, so it's somewhat of a pain.

88Accord-DX
11-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks Guys, Syclinsam i'll look into the oil filter base gasket. How hard of a bitch is that to replace?

Oil filter base gasket isn't to bad. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58672

syclinsam
11-05-2008, 03:27 AM
i bought the gasket but havent done the job yet. the HOW TO thread made it sound easy enough

if it turns into a harder job than my oil pan gasket, im mounting a 55 gallon oil drum to the roof and just let it feed the engine as the oil leaks out. F IT

russiankid
11-05-2008, 04:03 AM
hey russian kid, you seem like the perfect person for the job!!! I live in NY, want to do my oil pan gasket?! I already bought the gasket, and took one look at the task at hand and figured I just deal with the little leak til it got horrible. F that noise.

I think I'll pass. Took me 5 tries to get that the damn thing to seal. Plus, you get all oily when doing it.:thumbdn:

About the stuck gasket to the pan. You can either try and pry it off or spend the $130 and get a new Honda oil pan.