PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan issue.

jpetrovic
11-07-2008, 12:31 PM
alllright,
My cooling fan, the one on the drivers side (the light duty one that dosnt blow soo hard) Keeps turning on. after i turn the car off..
also when i turn the key to the start postition but dont start the car then switch it back the fan turns on. it runs for 15min or so.

i thought this ment my coolent was bad. soo i flushed/cleaned the system and bleed it. still no change.
any sugestions?

CzEcHy
11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
It's normal, unless it never turns off... (LXI correct?)

nfs480
11-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah, this is normal operation. There's even a sticker near the front passenger side that warns that the cooling fan can come on for up to 15 minutes after the car is shut off. My se-i has done this since our family got it in 1996.

jpetrovic
11-07-2008, 09:55 PM
yeah its an LX-i but it cant be normal. its 43 degrees here and it does it when i turn the key to the start postition (with out starting the car) then turning it back off the fan comes on. The engine hasnt ran yet and its cold.
i know with normal driveing sometimes when u turn the car off After driveing it will come on or if its hot enough outside it will kick on. But its COLD here.
and like i said. when the engine is cold and i turn the key to the III postion with out staring then back to the I postion ( take the key out) the fan kicks back on as if it were 100 degrees out and i drove it hard.

Dr_Snooz
11-08-2008, 09:04 PM
That's a funky one. The driver side fan is the condenser fan motor. It gets installed with the A/C system. I'd start by checking the Coolant Temperature Switch B. It sits on the fan itself. A test is described on p. 25-113 of the '89 shop manual (located here if you don't have one: http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php). If that passes, I'd check the condenser fan relay in the under hood fuse box (test on p. 25-114). If you still don't find it, make sure that your other fan is working properly because it might be hosed. You might also check all your connections to ensure there aren't any crudded up.

If that doesn't get it, come back and update. In fact, come back and update anyway. It helps to learn what solved the problem.

nfs480
11-09-2008, 09:39 AM
The driver side one is the one that always runs after I shut it off on my car, even if it's cold. Like I said, it's done this for as long as my family has owned the car (14 years)

jpetrovic
11-10-2008, 12:19 AM
The driver side one is the one that always runs after I shut it off on my car, even if it's cold. Like I said, it's done this for as long as my family has owned the car (14 years)

perhaps u should check yours out.

im sure there is a problem, plus the fan running for no reason wears down the battery
thats pretty much my main concern.

jpetrovic
11-22-2008, 10:44 PM
the connections were crudded i took them out and cleaned them and lightly greased them up. everything is fine now :D

thanks for the help guys :D

Rendon LX-i
11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
okay first off do you use your ac? if not take the fucker off or Unplug it...changing the sensor on the radiator itself prolly get your problem sloved "fan Switch" On the fan switch plug get a wire and loop it see if both fans kick on if they do its your switch...But since your saying it keeps turning on after the car is off my DID that ONCE since i owned my accord and it was HOT as HEll out...but idk man....hoped i helped

Rendon

Rendon LX-i
11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
OH shit i didnt read your last post lol nevermind

jpetrovic
11-22-2008, 11:47 PM
lol its cool :)
man i use the a/c lol i cant live without itt!!!

thanks for the input tho.