PDA

View Full Version : rear calipers

import racer
11-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Has anyone rebuilt their rear calipers ,just wondering how hard it is.Is there a how to on trhis.

import racer
11-08-2008, 06:00 PM
bump

russiankid
11-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Not hard at all. Only hard part is taking the e-brake mechanism apart. Its not that hard just a few small clips.

However, if you're just replacing your piston seal you don't have to do that, but its recommended to replace everything.

import racer
11-09-2008, 12:40 PM
no the emergency brake seems to work just fine on both,but the pistons were siezed so i had to heat them and turn pistons out with vise grips.the pistons are pitted but might be able to use them with new seals.

russiankid
11-09-2008, 01:31 PM
The e-brake pushes the piston out. So if the e-brake works then your calipers are not seized.

import racer
11-09-2008, 02:17 PM
no the piston was siezed in the bore.

russiankid
11-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Then your e-brake doesn't work.

May work now since you unseized the pistons.

evil88accordLX
11-09-2008, 09:37 PM
when you say seized, how did you determine this? on some rear disc honda setups, the piston does not slide in and out in the bore, it turns like a screw. idk if this is relevant to the 3gee as i have rear drums, but if so this would explain why the e-brake works but the piston seemed seized. also, you said you twisted them out. that too would indicate such a setup.

import racer
11-10-2008, 01:22 PM
yea they were all rusted around the piston,could not turn them out til i headed them.i then turned them out with vice grips,the rest of themechanism worked fine after that.I then cleaned the rust off the pistons but they pitts in them so i don't know if they will seal ok with new seals or not.might need new pistons,but i'll try the old pistons first to save me some money if i can.

AccordB20A
11-10-2008, 01:34 PM
i made a piston twisting tool out of a 11/17 socket, using that and some diesel i managed to unseize a seized piston but twisting it in and out lots

Dr_Snooz
11-10-2008, 08:28 PM
yea they were all rusted around the piston,could not turn them out til i headed them.i then turned them out with vice grips,the rest of themechanism worked fine after that.I then cleaned the rust off the pistons but they pitts in them so i don't know if they will seal ok with new seals or not.might need new pistons,but i'll try the old pistons first to save me some money if i can.

Save money. ...on brakes. Hmmmmmmmmmm. :beat:

evil88accordLX
11-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Save money. ...on brakes. Hmmmmmmmmmm. :beat:

you make an excellent point.