PDA

View Full Version : Oil burner-92 accord wagon

Oldblueaccord
11-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Well that wagon my wifes driving is burning about a quart of oil every 500 miles. It appears to be rings. I catch it smoking at high RPM shifts sometimes.
I am using 10w40 Havoline atm. Looking into some suggestions of an additive to use like Rislone or something to help tighten this baby up a little. I would hate for my 300$ car to blow up on me. Otherwise it s running good 25-27 mpg.

wp

Civic Accord Honda
11-07-2008, 04:13 PM
my legend burns about the same it seems to be my valve steam seals as it smokes a bit on start up she was burning alot more before but then i noticed my plugs were all gap'd worng so re gap'd them and cleaned the dizzy cap and she runs better now lol

i just recommend running thick oil

evil88accordLX
11-07-2008, 08:19 PM
have you tried Restore? idk if it really does what it says, but i know people who swear by it.

Dr_Snooz
11-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Lucas gets a lot of props. Never really needed it myself, but something like that or Motor Honey should be what you're after.

Oldblueaccord
02-12-2009, 05:17 PM
I went ahead and change the oil and used the Valvoline 10w 40 high mileage. The first 500 mile check it used 1/2 a quart. I think now I have 1250 on it an added another quart to it. Pretty impressed with the change for a first try. Not sure how cost effective its gonna be since its like 4.99 a quart. I got it on sale with one of those 5 qt/s and a fliter sale.

wp

paul
02-12-2009, 05:25 PM
have you tried Restore? idk if it really does what it says, but i know people who swear by it.

Restore's great for 1-2k miles, then it wears off, and gets back to 'regular' compression and oil consumption.

Quite a few unethical car sellers use it right before a potential buyer takes the car to their mechanic to do a compression test.

twin_rotor
02-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Since you live in a semi warmer climate, I'd switch to a 20-50W Vavloline or the like.. Its hard to get around my neck of the woods.

I would defiantly run Lucas over a motor honey like STP treatment... If you do use Lucas with a 20-50, I'd use 1/2 a quart of Lucas only..

My .02 for ya :) I've had mixed luck trying to slow down oil burners over the years.. Sometimes it helps, sometimes you need rings lol