PDA

View Full Version : Tail Lights

hikingmatt
11-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I've noticed lately that my tail lights always have condensation in them. This was this morning after it rained. But whether its rained or not they always look like this. I searched the threads for a fix but did not see anything. Any suggestions on how to fix it.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/37/l_13072253c9e4492581471a2eb397aade.jpg
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/63/l_75aaf297e5ec41179caefcb38778e624.jpg

86ccord
11-08-2008, 10:20 AM
go to a jy and and get a new taillight or replace the gaskets on the taillights

hikingmatt
11-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Well I went out there to start removing the tail lights it started raining again!!!:Owned2: I also noticed that the carpet was wet and so I lifted up the spare tire cover and there is like 3 or 4 inches of water. Aren't there drain plugs down there?

86ccord
11-08-2008, 11:23 AM
uhh yes. my car has a bad problem about that.. i feel that its my trunk weather sealing.. so check that see if its cracked or torn or if you even have any..LOL

hikingmatt
11-08-2008, 11:56 AM
ha ha.. There is weather striping its probably just cracked somewhere..I can't remember the last time I even looked under that cover. I got it drained out and got the tail light out and gonna see what I can do to seal it up better. How the hell do you get the lens off the whole thing??

MessyHonda
11-08-2008, 12:42 PM
seal it up...you dont want your connection corroding

Hashims
12-08-2008, 06:02 AM
I had same problem with my 3g CA4...
Take off ur car light ...take a silicone tube(small size)
paste it on the edges of light where u think water goes in...Simple.
The best thing about silicone is that it get invisible after drying...
Gudluck for ur DIY

Hashims
03-21-2009, 04:36 PM

LXiHatch88
03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I have the same problem with my 88 hatch. Every damn hatch in the junkyards around here has the same problem as well.

Dr_Snooz
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
#3 in this diagram should do the trick:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=3DR+LXI&catcgry4=KL4AT&catcgry5=TAILLIGHT

markmdz89hatch
03-25-2009, 09:39 AM
yes, I agree with snooz on replacing that gasket, but as for the lights, what I ended up doing with both hatchies I've had is drill very (very) small holes along the bottom of the housing (not the actual lens). I just took the assembly off, then drilled only about 3 holes at the bottom in the black plastic. If you decide to do this, just be very careful not to get too close to the lens itself or you'll scratch/trash the inside of it with the bit. I'm not saying to go out and do this, just saying that helped get rid of the condensation. The gaskets should do the trick to keep the water out of the spare tire well.

3rd Party
03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
yes, I agree with snooz on replacing that gasket, but as for the lights, what I ended up doing with both hatchies I've had is drill very (very) small holes along the bottom of the housing (not the actual lens). I just took the assembly off, then drilled only about 3 holes at the bottom in the black plastic. If you decide to do this, just be very careful not to get too close to the lens itself or you'll scratch/trash the inside of it with the bit. I'm not saying to go out and do this, just saying that helped get rid of the condensation. The gaskets should do the trick to keep the water out of the spare tire well.

maybe you could try the same concept with the spare tire molding...just drill a couple holes on the bottom where it sits, and watch the water drain freely, haha

alberto
03-25-2009, 10:41 PM
well guys no problem with my tail light's but i saw some cool si looking ones on ebay that i want 2 get. but my moon roof it leek's.

markmdz89hatch
03-26-2009, 04:20 AM
well guys no problem with my tail light's but i saw some cool si looking ones on ebay that i want 2 get. but my moon roof it leek's.

Alberto, you my friend have hijacked a thread on your 2nd post. First, welcome to the board. Second, there are two drains on either side of the sunroof cavity (as long as it's a factory roof). Take a coat hanger, bend it straight, and use it as a drain snake to try and push through the plug that's got it jammed up. If you have access to an air compressor, just get a blow gun attachment and blast the ish out of the drain after you snake it out with the hanger.

Back to the taillights. Yeah, I guess you can drill a hole in the bottom of the spare tire well, but you might just end up getting all sorts of road dirt in there if the hole is too large. It's not a bad idea at all though, becasue I'd rather have road dirt than a pond.

w261w261
03-26-2009, 08:41 AM
I think the sunroof drains are plugged up at the bottom of the tubes, not the tops. If you get a shower when you put on the brakes, then the rear drains are plugged. Take off the panels in the trunk, locate the drain tubes that come down over the wheel wells, pull them out from the holes heading towards the road, remove the flexible valve-like things on the ends (have a coffee can or something to catch the water as it comes out from the plugged tube), put the flexible things back on or not, reinsert them in the holes, and you're good to go.

When removing the trunk panels, don't use a screwdriver, but use a panel removal tool (like a big flat screwdriver, bent at the end, with a fork in it). That way, you won't mess up the buttons or mark the panels.

The front drains come out behind the fender liners. They're not as easy to unplug, at least in my experience, but most of the sunroof drain issues are because of the rear drains.