PDA

View Full Version : 1987 white hatch family addition

mykwikcoupe
11-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Found it on craigslist with a great interior, decent exterior and a blown head gasket. He delivered it to my house for $400 bucks which is a smokin deal for hondas in this region. It has a dark red interior that needs a good wipe down and vacumm. I need to find the plastic handle for the drivers seat and an ashtray and the radio has been previously stole so I need to splice in a junkyard harness rather than the ghetto fix he has but otherwise is perfect. It has a little gathering water in the spaer tire well, any thoughts on common leaks in the hatches? No rust no dents, no body damages.

Its rolling the stock suspension with 160k on it. stock hubcaps and it needs a windshield. he rear bumper has a crack in the center of the bumper cover and a crack in the passenger side taillight.

Plans so far are to find a black interior from a 88 dx hatch and swap it in if thats available. Ill install the spare set of koni reds and sprint springs Ive got as well as the dc sport tower brace, and Ill tint the windows down to charcoal 20%.

Ill install my spare a20a3 with 130k on it this weekend fixing the heatgasket issue while I find a trans and other parts to complete my b18c install progect comming soon.

Im hoping within the month Ill have the sei disk brakes installed as well as everything else listed above and pics should be up by sunday hopefully.

chowder
11-11-2008, 09:54 PM
yea i love my black interior because i actually drive an 88 phoenix dx =]

2ndGenGuy
11-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Pimp dude! So how many 3rd gens do you have now? An LXi hatch... One with a B20A... and an up-and-coming B18C swap?

Pico
11-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Nice find, cant wait to see the pics

mykwikcoupe
11-11-2008, 10:19 PM
yeah thats about it
89 sei coupe clone, b20a turbo project
89 sei sedan a20a3 currently thinking about engine swap
87 lxi hatch future b18c W/b16 head install awaiting trans

yep thats it for know, ultimatly Id like to rid myself od the sedan. not my cup of butter. The sedan really look too family-ish to me for a performance minded swap. Ive got a second turbo kit for my b20a so it wouldnt take anything but a turbo mani to make it a turbo b18c you know. the wifey would flip her cookies but it would be fun.

Im going to try and model it after ghettoeddys accord. i dont care for the white but his is hotness. Unfortunatly through the winter Im on a budget. $600 a month. Thats weak I dropp that in a week on my projects

ghettogeddy
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Im going to try and model it after ghettogeddys accord.i dont care for the white but his is hotness.
awww im speech less thank you

Civic Accord Honda
11-11-2008, 10:49 PM
pics or ban

86ccord
11-12-2008, 04:41 PM
pics or ban

what he said.. :D

Dr_Snooz
11-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Sounds like a super deal! Can't wait to see pics.

AccordB20A
11-12-2008, 08:09 PM
i like totally missed this thread, i would also like to see pics , sounds like it was a good deal

ZackieDarko
11-12-2008, 08:35 PM
hella bought his out from under me :(

j/p you know im broke

mykwikcoupe
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
sorry found a roof leak around one of my skylights so Im reflashing all my skylights and other roof penetrations. Dang you roof-doo you jinxt me. Anyways pics should be up this weekend hopefully. Its minty interior and ugly engine bay are something to keep you interested in thinking about

2ndGenGuy
11-12-2008, 11:12 PM
The good news is, after that rain storm last night, you know you've seen the worst leaks you're going to have... Glad I finished my roof on Sunday, that was cutting it close. If you can't find the leak, just use lots of Henry!!! I just installed a new skylight on my house, if your skylights are not curb mount, I recommend converting them. The flashing is about 100x better, and it's really not that much work to build the curb and plop the skylight onto it. My old skylight was a deck mount, and the flashing setup for it was super lame.

mykwikcoupe
11-13-2008, 05:16 PM
mine are all deck mounts but they are also 20 year old plastic buccles. I think I found ti though. There was a biuldup of moss around the corners causing the shingles to lift slightly and the wind was blowing it under far enought to get past ther flashing. Im hoping anyways. I need a new roof by next winter but id prefer to expand the house instead. Well see in the end. Pucs comming soon. anyone eager to see what you get with a radiator filled with water for 20 years

1ajs
11-13-2008, 06:23 PM
congratualtions on the sweet hatchie find get new seals for the real tails thats probly the cause of the leak or the cracked tail lol either way replace both sides tail light seals can make new ones ur self just need some foam

MessyHonda
11-14-2008, 12:21 AM
congrats on the car

2oodoor
11-14-2008, 02:08 AM
congrats on the find!! you are in the hatch club now...

I am looking at two sedans this afternoon, some showed up local for cheap...one is supposedly an EX, we will see what they have.
roof-doo jinxed ya... right... you got a hatch and I think some more jdm parts heh heh.. so I brunged you luckness.. lol

ZackieDarko
11-14-2008, 10:44 AM
he is actually apart of the

"i own a hatch, coupe and sedan club"

lucky bastard :-p

2oodoor
11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
he is actually apart of the

"i own a hatch, coupe and sedan club"

lucky bastard :-p

Oh my gawd :uh: indeed , now for an Aerodeck mauuuhaha

mykwikcoupe
11-14-2008, 12:44 PM
if I could get an aerodeck Id be an very happy man. Pics sent to 2ndgenguy for posting. Hopefully he does well. They are as recieved untouched. I have the headlight bucket although no clue to install it.

If I dont work saturday and sunday Ill be installing a low mileage engine in it just for the time being as I finish gathering parts for the b18c installation. Zack isnt up to giving me his trans although it would be sweet. Theres a local shop that gos through the trans pretty well but cost is near the top about 550 for a rebiult factory lsd trans cable type.

Ill be cleaning it well and giving it a good vacumm and wax. It needs some TLC but otherwise its in great shape for its age.

mykwikcoupe
11-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Oh my gawd :uh: indeed , now for an Aerodeck mauuuhaha

no, no, no, get it right. SEI Sedan, SEI Coupe, and Hatch club

ZackieDarko
11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
mike is that $550 for just the rebuild? if it was $550 for a trans AND rebuild that would be a hell-of-a-deal

mykwikcoupe
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
that complete for both ready to install. The hydro style is 800 I believe but then Id have to get a 400 hasport convertor also

ZackieDarko
11-14-2008, 01:25 PM
dude a stock b16 cable tran with an LSD goes for that or MORE

$550 is a great deal

mykwikcoupe
11-14-2008, 03:15 PM
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/kwikcoupe/white%20hatch%20pics/

I couldnt get any of the emails to go through. Even as a zipped file its 38mb. Feel free to post on theboard as see fit.

84Accord
11-14-2008, 03:37 PM
overall that hatch is pretty clean

2ndGenGuy
11-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm all over it man:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/kwikcoupe/white%20hatch%20pics/DSCN8835.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/kwikcoupe/white%20hatch%20pics/DSCN8837.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/kwikcoupe/white%20hatch%20pics/DSCN8838.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/kwikcoupe/white%20hatch%20pics/DSCN8838.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/kwikcoupe/white%20hatch%20pics/DSCN8842.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/kwikcoupe/white%20hatch%20pics/DSCN8843.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/kwikcoupe/white%20hatch%20pics/DSCN8830.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/kwikcoupe/white%20hatch%20pics/DSCN8849.jpg

Civic Accord Honda
11-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Score! now why cant i find something like that :(

mykwikcoupe
11-14-2008, 09:21 PM
im amazed at the accords with bad headgaskets that just came out of the woodwork. A coupe sei with tan leather, the guy is parting it rather then fixing it. What a shame. I offered him a few hundred for it and Im syure hell take it in a few weeks if its still complete I may take it. theres a red coupe same issue for 300also. I wishj I had more garage space I could just collect all the bad 3geez in my area, fix them, let 2ndgenguy paint them and see alot more keep going.

ghettogeddy
11-14-2008, 09:49 PM
im amazed at the accords with bad headgaskets that just came out of the woodwork. A coupe sei with tan leather, the guy is parting it rather then fixing it. What a shame. I offered him a few hundred for it and Im syure hell take it in a few weeks if its still complete I may take it. theres a red coupe same issue for 300also. I wishj I had more garage space I could just collect all the bad 3geez in my area, fix them, let 2ndgenguy paint them and see alot more keep going.

ya then sell them for 600 and make a profit

2ndGenGuy
11-14-2008, 11:44 PM
I think it's the weather. Lots of 1st gens popping up on Craigslist right now too. It's getting winter time, and nobody wants to work out in their cold garages or let the cars sit in the driveways. Dreams and ambitions washing away with the rain.

mykwikcoupe
11-15-2008, 11:12 PM
ok so some progress tonight. I didnt have much time since somehow I got roped back into a 7 day a week job. I hate overtime and everyjob I get requires it. Its always better than unenjoyment thats for sure anyday.

I got the engine out and boy was it toasted like a bagel. Everything was covered in rust from the radiator fluid. I cant call it coolant beacuse Im sure its just been water for quite some time. The guy before me said he flushed it alot and I think what he was doing was opening the air release valve near the thermostat and letting it squirt everywhere as he kept the radiator full. I guess he didnt know it was biulding back as fast as he could flush it. Luckily it didnt stick to anything painted. Its covered the hoses and such but Im not worried about that right now.

I had a salesman stop by the house a few months ago and Im usually the guy that tells them to beat it before I release the dogs Mr. Burns style. Well I decided he was a nice guy and listened to his phrase. he ended up selling me this eco friendly all purpose cleaner that cleans everything. seriously. I polished my 18s last year to get the raod debris off the chrome for like 6 hours. This stuff took it off whith zero work in 25 minutes. I didnt care how much it costed me I was getting it just for that purpose.

Well as you can tell the engine bay was nasty. You should see it now. I sprayed like 3 watered down quarts on the engine bay and gave it a 5 minute once over with one of the wifeys good kitchen brushes and boy does it shine. I doesnt eat throught heavy grease but anything that smears it takes right off. Ill post pics of that later tomorrow. Im not super worried that its not perfect. Im hoping to get the B series swap in it by spring anyways so Ill make it pretty then.

The extra motor Ive got has 130k on it and show signs of age with oil on the front. I cant remember how it got there but it doesnt appear to be coming off the valve cover more from the dizzy side but it pretty think and concentraed on the front. Everything else is clean for the most part. I stopped by honda and grabbed the fixings for a 30k mile tune up and Ill do that before it goes in tommorrow hopefully. I cant start till 3pm or so and its dark here by 430 so the rest will be done with shoplights. My garage is full of my other coupe right now. Dang I need a real shop like a 40x40 shop.

Anyways thats what happened so far.

mykwikcoupe
11-16-2008, 10:29 PM
wow, so Im swapping in an 88 lxi engine to my 87 lxi and I thought it was going to be pretty straight forward being only 1 model year difference and what Id read on the forum. I started by swapping the exhaust manifolds as the manifold to downpipe bolt configuration was different. I then started swapping the intakes and associated parts. What I found was the 87 had and extra theromswitch on the t-stat housing resulting with an extra 1/2 inch hose in the that little blocked off part of the thermostat snout. Its a pretty easy swap except the dizzy and egr gets in the way of the bolts to take it off.

The water pipe that runs on the back side of the engine has the ports in different places, same number but different places requiring you change all the hoses with the intakes also. The Pvc location on the 87 is stright above the black bax whewreas on the 88 its offset to the transmission slightly. the intake support is also higher on the 87 than on the 88 most likely based on the 2nd set of butterflies on the 88. I ended up leaving the wiring attached to the intake and undoing the alternator hookups and taking the intake, t-stat snout, water hoses, vac, hoses and pcv hoses as a unit and swapped onto a stripped 88 block.

I did a 30k tuneup also replacing the cam seal front side, crank seal front side, timing belt, water pump which we'll get into in a second,. The oil pump seals and belts.

About teh water pump, Ive preffered factory over schucks or napa as often as possible in that you get a better parts in thedealership part. I open the nice bubble wrap bag to find my new water pump in a pretty pink bag also. Upon inspection of the new vs the old I noticed right away the old has nice thick cast, directional vanes to channel the water in the housing. the new has stamped vanesand looks incredably like it should also say assembled in mexico or tiawan as a schucks part would. basically I was pissed in that its either a revised part allowing for more water diversion based on the smaller vanes or in that it s a cheap replacement based on saing a buck? Anyone else notice this?

2oodoor
11-17-2008, 04:23 AM
Yes some vanes are cast iron, which to me would seem to take more energy to turn. I have seem them both ways so I woulldnt worry about it as long as it is a NEW unit and not Reman or Cardon junk.

Shawn D
11-17-2008, 10:22 AM
very clean hatch, You don't see many of those left.

2ndGenGuy
11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
About your water pump, when the dealer in Olympia doesn't have the OEM parts, they just order it from NAPA. In fact, that's what ALL the dealerships in Olympia do. Sometimes even if they have it in stock, the OEM part will be about 2-3x more expensive, so they, again, order from NAPA. My friend used to work at the Nissan dealer down here, and he said they ordered more NAPA parts than Nissan parts for the minor tune up and maintenance work.

AccordB20A
11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
that sucks. but the trained eye should be able to see and know

mykwikcoupe
11-17-2008, 07:26 PM
it had honda badging on it and looked like honda standard wrapping but thanks for letting me know now I know to ask.

2ndGenGuy
11-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Hmm, well I doubt it came from NAPA if it's got that wrap on it, but still could be from some odd manufacturer before it goes to the dealership.