PDA

View Full Version : A question about cams

anubix
11-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I put a jdm motor in my 89coupe/mt/fi took it to burning man and back [I think a couple of times on that trip I drove for 15+ hours at a time only stopping for gas/food/potty and to roll.. uh... cigarettes ;) ]
2 months (now) I diagnosed a leaking dipstick downtube (fucking bendejos knocked the engine on its side and cracked the sob) and noticed water leaking from my downpipe @ the manifold. Upon closer inspection, #2 spark plug is wet.

What I want to know is:
I'm going to take the head off my core (glad I didn't send it back to those bitches), have a valve job done, and I'm wondering if there is a difference in the cam specs between accords (say fi vs carb) and also say (accord vs prelude vs g1teg)^. I put a A20A1 in my little bro's 88lxi coupe (fi/mt) and it seems "zippy"-er than my 89/A20A3. Could the cam be the reason for this zippy-ness? cuz both cars have fresh motors and trans this year. Since I'm getting all this head work done on the 89, would it be prudent to snag a different cam from another (3g/2glude/g1teg?) head @ the jy before I send it off?

^I know I'm going to get flamed for the g1teg comment, however I replaced 2 (yes, thats twice) distros in my friends 87teghatch(fi). It had (before he ran it into the ground and parted it out) a SOHC A20 motor in it w/ (our) mt. SPECIFICALLY not dohc, even though I can find no documentation to support this. And before you suggest the motor was swapped, seriously, WHO would go through the trouble of fabricating mounts to make a A20 bolt in as opposed to the DOHC it "must" have come with (according to documentation... damn wikipedia)!!!

snoopyloopy
11-15-2008, 02:31 PM
sweet, are you gonna get bigger cams/ports done too or just reseat and all? and yeah, there are minor differences between carb/efi cams and also mt/at cams and 3ga/3gb cams. i think 3gb mt efi has most aggressive profiles if i remember correctly. how it compares to 2g lude (and 1g teg?), that i don't know.