PDA

View Full Version : dirty-dirty

rfiks
11-16-2008, 11:39 AM
my engine bay has alot of grease and dirt n junk all over. how can this b accomplished without ruining any thing important??? thanx in advance!!!

skittlez
11-16-2008, 12:07 PM
with lots of scrubbin any autoparts store will have some automotive degrease, thats what u want to use. other than that just keep on scrubbin.

rfiks
11-16-2008, 12:30 PM
yes-YES... i kinda know how to clean stuff, i just dont want to ruin my electrical. what should i do?

Dr_Snooz
11-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I usually run down to the coin-op car wash on a free afternoon. The tire pre-soak cycle works pretty well for a light cleaning. Try to cover your distributor and the bigger electrical pieces, but be prepared for a non-running car when you're done. I never cover anything and am just careful what I aim the nozzle at. The car usually won't start when I'm done, but I just kick back for awhile and listen to some music, girl watch, whatever. After a little bit, it starts right up again and I'm off. About the worst that's ever happened is that I've had to remove the distributor cap to paper towel out the moisture. Lately, I've been using a pressure washer from Wal-Mart with Blue Coral car wash concentrate just to keep the dust off. Finish up by running some Pledge wipes over the plastic pieces and you'll be lookin' spiffy.

lostforawhile
11-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I got some of the generic nappa degreaser in a gallon bottle from nappa, put it in a squirt bottle full strength,then used the car wash hose to clean it off after it sat. even took the dingy crap off of the paint on the firewall.

Civic Accord Honda
11-16-2008, 03:16 PM
simple green old tooth brush and garden hose and about a weeks worth of time

DBMaster
11-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Sometimes I connect the garden hose to the valve on the water heater. The water comes out warm because the fresh cold water enters at the bottom. The warm water cleans off old oil and grease easier.

skittlez
11-16-2008, 05:10 PM
yeah you can get some water in the bay without destroying it anything your particularly worried about just cover in plastic. the only warning i have which im shore ur smart enough to already know is dont go spraying water into the carbs or intake, (i sat n watched a drunk guy send two cars into the shop doing that).

ghettogeddy
11-16-2008, 05:45 PM
i used like 2 cans of the gunk engine bright gel and a coin opp pressure washer

AccordB20A
11-16-2008, 06:33 PM
ive waterblasted my engine bay wires and all and it fires right up afterwards, a fuse did blow but it was all good after i replaced it

rfiks
11-16-2008, 07:06 PM
yeah you can get some water in the bay without destroying it anything your particularly worried about just cover in plastic. the only warning i have which im shore ur smart enough to already know is dont go spraying water into the carbs or intake, (i sat n watched a drunk guy send two cars into the shop doing that).
(im lol)
so u just sat and watched some random "drunk guy"...lol (visualizing) spray water into his int8k mani? lol thats good shit dude.
thanks for advice guyz!

A18A
11-16-2008, 07:15 PM
i used a hose, petrol, wire brush, rag & elbow grease, got my engine bay looking like new

skittlez
11-16-2008, 10:03 PM
lol yeah hes one of those i can fix anything guys so theres no telling him when hes wrong. i laugh when i go in his kitchen cause im an electrician by trade and he installed some recessed lights, problem is they constantly turn on n off. hes got his wife convinced its this real high tech stuff that shuts itself off when it gets too hot. in reality he did a direct installation with open air fixtures:slap: