PDA

View Full Version : What could be happening?

DEEGO
11-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi savvy 3GEE'RS,
Yesterday morning I started my 87 DX CARB'D it started just fine. I noticed after about 3 seconds the RPM'S started to go very low and would almost turn off. I kept giving it gas so that it wouldnt turn off. It was about 55* outide so I thought that may have been the issue, i took of the air cleaner lid so the car could breathe better but no dice. If i took my foot off the pedal the car would not idle at 800-1000 RPM like normal, It would simply go down and turn off. Im not sure what could be the issue. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Hauntd ca3
11-17-2008, 11:24 AM
start with the simple stuff like seeing how much fuel is coming out of the fuel line. just disconnect it at the carb and stick the line in an old coke bottle and start the car. it should pump 250 to 300 mls of fuel in 15 seconds i think.
if thats fine it could be crap in the idle jets or poorly adjusted idle speed screw.

evil88accordLX
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
check to make sure you have no vacuum leaks also.

LxAcc510
11-17-2008, 11:38 AM
start with the simple stuff like seeing how much fuel is coming out of the fuel line. just disconnect it at the carb and stick the line in an old coke bottle and start the car. it should pump 250 to 300 mls of fuel in 15 seconds i think.
if thats fine it could be crap in the idle jets or poorly adjusted idle speed screw.

where's the idle speed screw at?

lostforawhile
11-17-2008, 01:57 PM
he needs to jumper the safety relay to do that,so when the key is on it pumps fuel. filters may be clogged too, we will be seeing more and more dirt problems with the dam ethenol in the fuel. it's a really good solvent,so all the 20 years of crap in the tank come loose,and go downstream. good idea to always carry an extra filter and what you need to change it.

88Accord-DX
11-17-2008, 09:23 PM
That OEM carb is what is happening, & it's a piece of shit. Fiddle with all the screws & vacuum lines, thermovalves until your hair falls out. :ugh2:

DEEGO
11-18-2008, 12:58 PM
87 DX fully functional! Ok so what I think was going on is near the air cleaner housing there was a hose that goes to the head. I had removed that hose to install a breather filter but I had left the other side open. I think that was the cause. Once I took off the breater and replaced the old hose the car idle'd perfect. I guess if it aint broke dont fix it eh?