PDA

View Full Version : Bad News

bank2me
11-18-2008, 12:14 PM
So I went to a local trans shop today and they listened to my trans. What it's doing is a metal on metal noise like a grinding when its cold and when i push the clutch in it stops. They said it's in the trans and he said there was no other manuals in the system for my car. He said by the time they are done with it ill have 13-14 hundred into it. He said drive it til it dies. So ill prolly sell it and buy a different car this spring. Any advice for me?:madflip::bs::mad:

Hauntd ca3
11-18-2008, 12:26 PM
could be input shaft bearing goin out

bank2me
11-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Well thats what I thought but he said im lookin at 13 to 14 hundred for takin it out. I would do it myself but dont have the area and tools to. It sucks

codyJDM
11-18-2008, 12:41 PM
So I went to a local trans shop today and they listened to my trans. What it's doing is a metal on metal noise like a grinding when its cold and when i push the clutch in it stops. They said it's in the trans and he said there was no other manuals in the system for my car. He said by the time they are done with it ill have 13-14 hundred into it. He said drive it til it dies. So ill prolly sell it and buy a different car this spring. Any advice for me?:madflip::bs::mad:

Its your throwout bearing

Change your tranny oil it might go away, it did for me

2ndGenGuy
11-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Get a junkyard tranny for $100 and swap it in. I can do one of these trannys in 6 hours or less, not sure what the book rate is for something like that, but grab a friend and a socket set and go for it. Replace the clutch while you're in there.

MessyHonda
11-18-2008, 01:26 PM
yup....just do a tranny replacement....like everyone said its prob your thorow out bearring

skittlez
11-18-2008, 01:43 PM
even a rebuilt trans wouldnt cost that much no need to ditch the ride

ghettogeddy
11-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Well thats what I thought but he said im lookin at 13 to 14 hundred for takin it out. I would do it myself but dont have the area and tools to. It sucks

can anyone say rip off lol i can drop a mani tranz in a 3g in like 30 - 40 mins lol ask messy

SZfiftyfour
11-18-2008, 02:20 PM

If you really cant do it yourself try and find an older, more established shop, and it doesnt have to be a tranny place.
A lot of (newer/chain) shops hire people straight out of tech schools where they are told they will not have to work on cars more than 10yrs old. Those guys probably didn't want to get their hands greasy from your car, told you some crap to get you to leave, then they probably laughed at you when you left in your 20+yr old car. At any rate your gonna pay$$$ for a shop job.

Rendon LX-i
11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Damn thats a rip...i got a tranny for 150 with low miles my old one ,my synchos went out so im going try to rebuild it should be that hard.

Rendonlxi

bank2me
11-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys I would like to find a good used one but have never taken it out before would I have to take the engine out then the trans.Or drop the trans?
What do I need for tools if im replacin the clutch too?

ghettogeddy
11-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys I would like to find a good used one but have never taken it out before would I have to take the engine out then the trans.Or drop the trans?

i believe the only a couple of sockets the clutch normally comes with an alignment tool and you might want to get a pickle fork to get the axles out thats what i use

also found it allot easier to get the axles out with a couple of the suspension bolts out
so yo-u have some room
makes putting them back in allot easier as well

bank2me
11-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I will need an engine hoist though wont I does anyone have a thread for manual trans removal? The only is that how long will the car be down with me changin trannies?

redaztec
11-19-2008, 02:42 PM
I've never replaced a transmission on a front-drive car, but I don't see why you'd need an an engine hoist. A transmission jack to lower the transmission out of the car should be fine.

ghettogeddy
11-19-2008, 02:52 PM
not even that lol a jack and some jack stands and maybe a piece of wood lol
you will need 2 people to take it out and the end and to lift the new one back up

and if you dl the shop manual and kinda go thru it a couple times it will be real fast and easy to change you just have to make sure you take the ground off the tranny and unplugg the revers light
take the speed o sensor off and the starter and then take the cross ember off first(7 bolts) and the tranny mount witch is like (4 bolts)
also i take the dog bone off, im sure im missing a few but you get the jist
if you start early and have a couple days do it
cause if you dont you will be walking lol just set a sid a couple days and maybe see if there is a member close that will help

rfiks
11-19-2008, 03:09 PM
tell that guy 2 eat a d!@*!!!1400???! thats enough to buy a type r trany! i hate mechanix they haVE no shame they just go around ripping ppole off:burn:!!! im guna start calling mechx just for a laff!:stick:
theres nothing wrong w/ being a junk yard dogg!

Vanilla Sky
11-19-2008, 05:45 PM
tell that guy 2 eat a d!@*!!!1400???! thats enough to buy a type r trany! i hate mechanix they haVE no shame they just go around ripping ppole off:burn:!!! im guna start calling mechx just for a laff!:stick:
theres nothing wrong w/ being a junk yard dogg!

Dude, learn to spell. Reading that gave me a headache. And what does a "type r trany!" have to do with anything? He's talking about what it would cost for that shop to rebuild and reinstall his trans. Talking about a transmission that wouldn't fit into this car is irrelevant.

Hauntd ca3
11-19-2008, 08:56 PM
I will need an engine hoist though wont I does anyone have a thread for manual trans removal? The only is that how long will the car be down with me changin trannies?

as said below, you can get away with a decent jack,jack stands and a helpful mate.
it took me and a mate five days , doin 3 hours a night to do my auto to manual swap.

Oldblueaccord
11-20-2008, 10:24 AM

I drop the trans out of the buttom. Most of the front suspension will have to be removed to get the CV axles out of the trans unit. You can cheat and just take the pass. side off but its tricky to remove the drivers side while removing the transmission.

Putting it in I usually just lower the car onto the trans since the tires are off it can get pretty low.

Only other tips I can think of is make sure the splines on the trans are very clean no rust and to use some Blue prematex on the bellhousing to motor. This keep oil from leaking above onto your new clutch in the future.

wp