PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start, need it tomorrow morning!

canadian357
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
This car is giving me problems to no end.
Most recently, I picked my brother up from work, started fine. I get to his condo, shut it off, leave it for 30 min, come back, no start. Its not turning over, I have new plug wires, new starter, and its non-responsive to a boost. All the interior power works (lights, fans, stereo) and the interior lights are great. Check my starter wires, clean and plugged in. What could it be? It seems to me like I'm not getting any power to my starter, but I dont know, because it started fine an hour ago. Now my family is down to one driveable car for 4 people, and we have a golf and a focus in the back that work fine but no insurance :(

canadian357
11-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Its an 88 LX carb'd car, I forgot to say.

A18A
11-18-2008, 05:11 PM
try put a wire straight from the starter solenoid to the battery, if it turns over fine then, it might be a fuse or some dodginess in the wire between the ignition barrel & the starter. if it still doesnt start, that fat cable going to the starter from the battery might be fail, or some poor ground connections, pays to test those. if those are good then all i can think of is the starter solenoid has failed, apparently hitting it with a hammer (not too hard that you break it) while someone holds the key could just make it turn over. or then again it could just be a flat battery lol. hope this helps.

DEEGO
11-18-2008, 05:35 PM
This car is giving me problems to no end.
Most recently, I picked my brother up from work, started fine. I get to his condo, shut it off, leave it for 30 min, come back, no start. Its not turning over, I have new plug wires, new starter, and its non-responsive to a boost. All the interior power works (lights, fans, stereo) and the interior lights are great. Check my starter wires, clean and plugged in. What could it be? It seems to me like I'm not getting any power to my starter, but I dont know, because it started fine an hour ago. Now my family is down to one driveable car for 4 people, and we have a golf and a focus in the back that work fine but no insurance :(

I would suggest you check your battery and all fuses.

AccordB20A
11-18-2008, 06:49 PM
and make sure the starter signal wire is hooked onto the starter motor, its a black and white wire.

skittlez
11-18-2008, 08:22 PM
did u check ur shifter? i accidentally left mine in gear once when i shut it off n had the car out of commission for two days tryin to figure out y it wouldnt start.

canadian357
11-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Its not my shifter... I tried to start it in park and neutral, nothing. What guage wire do I use to run between battery and starter? I'm don't know a lot but I learn quick... so how do I test it that way? And yeah both of my starter wires are plugged in.

Hauntd ca3
11-18-2008, 11:44 PM
this aint the safest way to do it, but use a screw driver(insulated of course) and bridge between the big cable from the batt to the starter and the wee push on terminal on the solenoid. that should make the starter go.
it aint the best way to do it, but it works.
do not hit a starter with a hammer, most modern starters are a permanent magnet style instead of pole coils and hitting it will most likely shatter the magnets and fuck the starter completely

AccordB20A
11-18-2008, 11:50 PM
this aint the safest way to do it, but use a screw driver(insulated of course) and bridge between the big cable from the batt to the starter and the wee push on terminal on the solenoid. that should make the starter go.
it aint the best way to do it, but it works.
do not hit a starter with a hammer, most modern starters are a permanent magnet style instead of pole coils and hitting it will most likely shatter the magnets and fuck the starter completely
lol coming from the mechanic. nissan owners hit starter motors with hammers ive noticed.

Demon1024
11-19-2008, 12:59 AM
same with fords. had to do it to my g/f's tempoo to get it to home once.
the gauge isn't super important on that wire really. i've used like 24gauge wire to do it before.altho it doesn't stay connected long it can get hot quick! just make sure it's not in gear. if you have to have the car you can start it that way till you find the problem.

hikingmatt
11-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Just like a few other people said.. Check your wires going to the starter. When I replaced mine the ground wire that connects to the starter had come off and I had the same problem. So make sure to check the wires.

Hauntd ca3
11-19-2008, 08:52 PM
lol coming from the mechanic. nissan owners hit starter motors with hammers ive noticed.

i think some nissans still use field windings which can be hit.
but majority of modern starters use permanent magnets which are easy to break.
another good one i see is people who keep using the starter when it starts to wind over real slow and wonder why the starter packs up.
most of the times its just in need of brushes but have done a few lately, where they keep using the thing until it wont turn over.
usually the end result is a burned out armature.
a cheap one of those is still a coulpe hundy,plus bearings,brushes,labour etc ends up being near on as much as a new starter
just has a thort, if giving the starter a tap with a hammer while someone holds the key in the start pos, the brushes are mst likely gone.if it goes by bridging the terminals,its prob a fault in the ign switch circuit

Dr_Snooz
11-20-2008, 06:37 AM
just has a thort, if giving the starter a tap with a hammer while someone holds the key in the start pos, the brushes are mst likely gone.

Or a sticky solenoid.

Oldblueaccord
11-20-2008, 04:19 PM
if its a rebuilt starter its prolly junk. Also make sure your ground wire is good on the valve cover to body as well. When you turn the key all your dash lights should come on or the key switch could be bad as well.

wp

rfiks
11-20-2008, 05:03 PM
are your plugs gapped properly?

skittlez
11-20-2008, 07:54 PM
but if it was plug gap the starter would still crank at the least though wouldnt it?

kyaccord
11-21-2008, 12:59 AM
smack it with a hammer its a 80's model car it should work

rfiks
11-21-2008, 05:35 AM
but if it was plug gap the starter would still crank at the least though wouldnt it?

yeat should.

Dr_Snooz
11-21-2008, 06:18 AM
smack it with a hammer its a 80's model car it should work

Let's be clear that we're talking about a light rap. Please don't go apeshit and dent the housing.

kyaccord
11-22-2008, 12:31 AM
yeah just a little love tap

l75eya
11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Let's be clear that we're talking about a light rap. Please don't go apeshit and dent the housing.

This from the guy with "
"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff."
- Beavis "
in his siggy. =P Speaking from experience? lol jk
I love hammers.

MessyHonda
11-24-2008, 12:55 AM
starters are cheap at the junkyard...i paid like 18 bucks for mine.

Dr_Snooz
11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
This from the guy with "
"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff."
- Beavis "
in his siggy. =P Speaking from experience? lol jk
I love hammers.

Oh no! I've been figured out. :)

bank2me
11-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Oh no! I've been figured out. :)

Lol Nice Dr Snooz. Ok shenanigans I would try a new starter. Take the old one off and take it to autozone. My bros 91 dakota did the same as your car absolutely nothing when trying to start. We took off the starter and took it to autozone and it passed twice. The guy there said the only fault with the machine is it doesnt put load under the spring. Just sounds like the starter and solenoid to me. Be sure to check fuses also. Good luck.