PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problems????

onebadcrawler
11-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Ok i know that as soon as i post this someone will send me a link to another post on the same topic but after days of searching the forums i haven't been able to find one so i'm posting. I have an 89 Accrod 2dr Lxi and here recently i haven't been to let it get below a half tank if even that or it won't start or just won't sun good enough to drive. This is really starting to bug me!! I have checked the fuel filter. fresh tune up(plugs,wires,cap,rotor,oil, air filter, and oil filter) I ran a bottle of seafoam through it and it still does it. Also if i run it for a long period of time for example if i go across town or something. when i go to start it back up if it hasn't sat for a while it won't start. Any ideas on what it could be??? Thanks

Rendon LX-i
11-19-2008, 07:08 PM
your main relay or your fuel pump is getting hot so when u turn if off it has to cool in order to work property again...Thats signs of worn out pump man...hoped i help or check your relay but i dont think thats it.

Rendonlxi

onebadcrawler
11-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Ok so you do you think i should start out by just replacing the pump first and then go from there? Thanks for the help

Rendon LX-i
11-19-2008, 10:17 PM
yeah thats what i would do man....u can always get a junk yard one to see if thats the case so u dont got out and spend alot of money if its it then get a new one.

Rendonlxi

Demon1024
11-19-2008, 10:47 PM
hell till you said "no hot start" i was thinking of the sock filter on the pump itself, but he's right on the relay. never had a fuel pump go out on me :)

Dr_Snooz
11-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Ok so you do you think i should start out by just replacing the pump first and then go from there? Thanks for the help

Please don't go blindly replacing parts on the off-chance it might fix something. You'll spend a lot of money and still have a non-running car. The manual is available here: http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php. It describes diagnostic procedures for nearly every part in the car.
Make sure you are replacing a bad part before you replace it.

Ed-ro
11-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Its Probably The Main Relay,we See A Lot Of That Here At The Dealership.you Can Pull The Cover Off The Main Relay & Resolder The Burned Contacts In The Cicuit Board If You Dont Want To Buy A New One.its Usualy The Small Contact Point & Usually About 4 Spots.you Can Use A Magnifying Glass To Help Spot The Ones You Need To Repair.

onebadcrawler
11-20-2008, 11:17 AM
ok sounds good. I'll try testing it first. That sounds like a smarter idea anyways. Thanks for all your help guys

onebadcrawler
11-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Turns out it was the fuel pump. it just didn't have the power to pump after it got below half a tank. Dropped a new one in and no problems. Thanks guys for all your help.

Rendon LX-i
11-24-2008, 10:54 PM
No prob....i knew it was:D