PDA

View Full Version : junkyard interior

skittlez
11-20-2008, 03:00 PM
so i decided that i want to start entering auto-x comps, and took a look at the scca. then i found out that my car isnt compliant in the class it should run in because i have a gutted inner. then after looking over the cost of buying a whole new interior from an oem manufacturer, that went out the window (you could buy multiple cars for that price). so i plan to hit up the junkyards searching for one, piece by piece. but since ill probably end up getting it from multiple cars in varied conditions and colors i had two questions, cause i dont want to feel like a ghetto child in my car (i know gutted wasnt much better but i kinda liked it :nuts: ).

first is when dying fabric, can you get a match when your original colors where different, if you use a dark color such as black?

and second, does anyone know about any kind of bondo like stuff thats meant for plastic or vinyl type materials?

thanks guys.

mushroom_toy
11-20-2008, 06:02 PM
so i decided that i want to start entering auto-x comps, and took a look at the scca. then i found out that my car isnt compliant in the class it should run in because i have a gutted inner. then after looking over the cost of buying a whole new interior from an oem manufacturer, that went out the window (you could buy multiple cars for that price). so i plan to hit up the junkyards searching for one, piece by piece. but since ill probably end up getting it from multiple cars in varied conditions and colors i had two questions, cause i dont want to feel like a ghetto child in my car (i know gutted wasnt much better but i kinda liked it :nuts: ).

first is when dying fabric, can you get a match when your original colors where different, if you use a dark color such as black?

and second, does anyone know about any kind of bondo like stuff thats meant for plastic or vinyl type materials?

thanks guys.

If you use black dye on two different colors most of the time it will be a close match, but you can still probably tell different shades depending on lighting. On the second part I think lostforawhile has used some kind of plastic filler before on something but I forgot what it was called.

What interior pieces you need and whats the majority interior color of your car and location?

Civic Accord Honda
11-20-2008, 06:17 PM
thats fn lame that u need the interior to auto-x :( i always wanted to auto-x but i prefer my interior gutted out (weight reduction and it looks better
but yeah just get parts paint them and then thow some seat covers on and call it day

skittlez
11-20-2008, 07:50 PM
thanks for the info on the dye, thats what i figured but was hopeful. if i get mixed colors i guess i can hire out one of the ladies from work to do a lil upholstery, theres a lil group of them that are all about sewing. and ill make sure to look into the filler in case its needed. the pieces i still have are the two front seats, dash, center console, and the armrests are still on all four of the doors cause i never got around to mounting the window controls on their own. originally it was that red maroon color but i painted everything that was left in there a real dark gray. and im out in jersey. yeah thats a gay rule but whatever, ha my girl will be happy she hates my car being like that guess she won. but auto-x is worth it just gonna miss the low maintenance of it (spilled drink no problem ha). also i pulled a search on car-part.com and found a good solution. yards will sell full interiors from their inventoried cars for a couple hundred, and they give you a quality rating for them too. so if anyone else was lookin for one they had a decent number of hits for our cars.

86ccord
11-20-2008, 07:55 PM
on my plastic pieces ive used a product from duplicolor, its called plastic and vynal spray.. I LOVE IT..LOL

skittlez
11-20-2008, 08:08 PM
i tried using that stuff the first time i painted the inside of a car, didnt work for me though. as it dried it started to kinda bulge in certain areas i dunno maybe i had a bad batch or screwed somethin up it was my first paint job.

84Accord
11-20-2008, 08:24 PM
on my interior plastic pieces i just went to a hardware store and bought flat black paint. and for the vinyl pieces i found this spray paint called plasti-kote. comes in many colors and does an amazing job. doesnt crack or chip off or anything.

mushroom_toy
11-20-2008, 10:36 PM
thanks for the info on the dye, thats what i figured but was hopeful. if i get mixed colors i guess i can hire out one of the ladies from work to do a lil upholstery, theres a lil group of them that are all about sewing. and ill make sure to look into the filler in case its needed. the pieces i still have are the two front seats, dash, center console, and the armrests are still on all four of the doors cause i never got around to mounting the window controls on their own. originally it was that red maroon color but i painted everything that was left in there a real dark gray. and im out in jersey. yeah thats a gay rule but whatever, ha my girl will be happy she hates my car being like that guess she won. but auto-x is worth it just gonna miss the low maintenance of it (spilled drink no problem ha). also i pulled a search on car-part.com and found a good solution. yards will sell full interiors from their inventoried cars for a couple hundred, and they give you a quality rating for them too. so if anyone else was lookin for one they had a decent number of hits for our cars.

Too bad your in Jersey. I have pretty much a whole perfect maroon interior I could sell you cheap but I bet shipping would be a bitch.

skittlez
11-21-2008, 07:08 PM
aww that would be kool but yeah once shipping is done i doubt id be able to give you a fair amount without payin a lot more than the yard would cost. thanks though man.

lostforawhile
11-23-2008, 06:45 AM
the plastic repair is a marson brand, they sell it at nappa under the flexible bumper repair kit,but the product is marson. it's a two part,you mix it 50 50 ratio. as far as the interior paints and dyes, the VHT is the best brand. eastwood.com carries it as well as most good auto parts stores. if you call eastwood they can give you good technical advice too, if you do the dash, you should use the primer and the prep chemicals first.

paul
11-24-2008, 04:20 PM
You don't need an interior to do autocross, they'll just place you in a higher class if you have no back seat, or no interior.

Off the top of my head, I believe no interior will put you in the D street prepared section (DSP), check with your local SCCA autox chapter though.