PDA

View Full Version : A20-Based Fantasy Street Motor - Pump Gas

Boltgunner
11-21-2008, 07:20 PM
OK, so I broke down and bought the Redline K727 kit for the ol' '84. Now, I am thinking it would be fun to start planning what it would take to make an A20-based street motor that would be using 87 octane gas with the Weber, but would be getting the best available HP. Any thoughts? Any suggestions as to who is out there who could build this motor? What kind of HP would I get that would be a daily driver?

2ndGenGuy
11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Wow, I dunno how I missed this thread... Giving up on the billet high-rise adapter you were building? That was coming along pretty well it seemed!!

You should check out some of rjudgey's builds. He's got the big valve conversions, mega headwork, higher compression, rods, etc.

If you were going with an A20 motor, you won't be able to use your Redline kit on it as the ES and A-series have different intake manifolds.

As far as who could build it, I'd just check with some local machine shops. I don't know that there is anybody familiar enough with these engines. If you were willing to pay a bit for shipping, you could have rjudgey build you a nice head for that motor! Pretty sure he's able to get over 160hp out of it, but that's with exhaust and big Weber sidedrafts, not the 32/36.

As far as the ES goes, if you wanna hop it up a bit on the cheap, pick up the Pacesetter header for the A20. Plug up all the holes, you'll have to have the downpipe welded into your exhaust as it's about 2 inches too long to fit the stock 2gee exhaust system. Get a lightweight flywheel, and trade the 32/36 up for a Weber DGES 38. Then toss on an A18 Prelude transmission for shorter gearing. It really turns turns around the motor into something fun! I'm sure with those mods, you might add 10-15% more hp. Perhaps a very mild cam as well, like from an ES1 Prelude motor (pretty sure that will work)...