PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tie Down Brackets

Toneloc5145
11-23-2008, 01:45 PM
So I just bought a brand new Duralast Autozone battery after my old one crapped out (with an unexpectable short life of 4 months). Anyways, I've come to find out that the OEM tie-down bracket does not fit on this new battery. Anybody out there with oversized batteries? I'm looking for idea's. Pics would be great. Thanks.

turabaka
11-23-2008, 02:39 PM
I think you can get oversized battery hold downs at Autozone.

lostforawhile
11-23-2008, 04:04 PM
just get a universal tie down and tie down bolts,you cut them to the length you need

Tdurr
11-23-2008, 05:04 PM
get a welder, 2 like 12 inch bolts from a hardwear store, 2 nuts, and then weld em on, and bam! u gotz ur kit! lol

Civic Accord Honda
11-23-2008, 05:07 PM
lols i have never used one on any of my cars and i like to have some fun when i drive and never had a battery fall out or anything

Dr_Snooz
11-23-2008, 05:47 PM
lols i have never used one on any of my cars and i like to have some fun when i drive and never had a battery fall out or anything

I agree. Hang loose man!

lostforawhile
11-23-2008, 07:30 PM
battery hold downs are cheap, you can get one at walmart. it may keep your battery from welding itself to the bottom of your hood if you hit a really big bump.

Toneloc5145
11-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I can't help but think that having a tie-down is somewhat important, or manufactures would not put them on the car in the first place. What I can think of is unnecessary strain on the battery cables, possibility of shifting and damaging surrounding things (including hood), and damaging the battery itself.

My local autozone sucks, given that they have absolutely no options as far as tie-downs go for their OWN battery. Believe me, I checked and asked, and they don't have anything.

I'm going to try looking around at other stores before making one myself, but if worse comes to worse, I'll just do what I have to do. Thank you guys for your suggestions.

lostforawhile
11-23-2008, 07:41 PM
I can't help but think that having a tie-down is somewhat important, or manufactures would not put them on the car in the first place. What I can think of is unnecessary strain on the battery cables, possibility of shifting and damaging surrounding things (including hood), and damaging the battery itself.

My local autozone sucks, given that they have absolutely no options as far as tie-downs go for their OWN battery. Believe me, I checked and asked, and they don't have anything.

I'm going to try looking around at other stores before making one myself, but if worse comes to worse, I'll just do what I have to do. Thank you guys for your suggestions.if your battery is rattling around free, it damages the connections between the plates inside of the battery,also a cell can short causing a dead cell and a bad battery.

DBMaster
11-23-2008, 10:30 PM
The first Optima battery I installed was significantly larger than the original. The dimensions were within the battery area, though. The issue was the length of the optima and the "notches" in the horizontal part of the tie down. I flipped that part over and drilled new holes for the tie down bolts. That might work for you if the new battery will fit the wider notched area. It's hard to describe in writing but pretty easy to see when you're holding the part.

evil88accordLX
11-23-2008, 10:32 PM
bungee cords!

2drSE-i
11-24-2008, 09:19 AM
go to the hardware store and buy a flat piece of steel, drill two holes in it and use the stock threaded L things. Just run it across the top of the battery. Nearly stock design, just doesnt hold it by the corner lol. My duralast battery fits though.

mushroom_toy
11-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Bungee Cord.....:)

ghettogeddy
11-24-2008, 06:28 PM
maybe just a battery tie down like the ones that come with battery boxes

DBMaster
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
go to the hardware store and buy a flat piece of steel, drill two holes in it and use the stock threaded L things. Just run it across the top of the battery. Nearly stock design, just doesnt hold it by the corner lol. My duralast battery fits though.

You could also use angle-iron. Instead of a flat piece of steel with holes in it you get a 90 degree piece of steel that looks like a heavy duty wall corner bead. I would spray some Rustoleum on it but that's an excellent idea!