PDA

View Full Version : The pursuit of perfect fog lights

codyJDM
11-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I have been searching for who knows how long just to find a set of simple, rectangular, yellow fog lights. Still not a damn thing. Who out there has a nice fitting set outside of OEM?(If they existed anywhere I would have them by now :werd:)

Any pictures or recommendations? Post 'em up guys.

Civic Accord Honda
11-23-2008, 05:43 PM
mine were oldschool kmart ones they looked hella good on the car... just keep seraching ebay and your find some mine were 10shipped :D

codyJDM
11-23-2008, 05:54 PM
mine were oldschool kmart ones they looked hella good on the car... just keep seraching ebay and your find some mine were 10shipped :D

What were you searching on ebay? I seriously cant find anything non-rice or non-retarded in general lol.

Civic Accord Honda
11-23-2008, 06:05 PM
was just browsing used fogs old fogs new old stock things like that.. also u can get some yellow ones from napa and ask Twhonza (SP) were he got his from

codyJDM
11-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Found a good set for an EF, they are like 4x6 which should be perfect for down there.

45$ shipped, can't complain

Civic Accord Honda
11-23-2008, 06:54 PM
good shit :D

LxAcc510
11-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Shweet. Better show us how it turns out. I'm looking for some foggies too.

MessyHonda
11-24-2008, 01:04 AM
some one used some 3rd gen prelude lights...they kinda look like ours

carotman
11-24-2008, 07:45 AM
The OEM Honda of America fog lights were BOSCH Pilot 150

codyJDM
11-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks to the help of lxacc I just bought myself these perfect fog lights :D Thanks again man!!

http://i10.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/1d/39/1feb_1.JPG

AccordB20A
11-24-2008, 11:18 AM
yeah they look good, simular to the oem ones

codyJDM
11-24-2008, 11:22 AM
yeah they look good, simular to the oem ones

Indeed, thats what I was goin' for :D

LxAcc510
11-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks to the help of lxacc I just bought myself these perfect fog lights :D Thanks again man!!

http://i10.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/1d/39/1feb_1.JPG

haha yea dude your welcome... i hope i'll come across some like that again. Look forward to seeing your set up with em though! I would've grabbed em but i dont have the time or material to create my own bracket for em.

You better damn well take pics of how you set the whole thing up! Show us how you make, or where you get brackets for em. Or if I'm the only one interested in that aspect just PM how you set em up to me! :wave:

codyJDM
11-24-2008, 01:21 PM
haha yea dude your welcome... i hope i'll come across some like that again. Look forward to seeing your set up with em though! I would've grabbed em but i dont have the time or material to create my own bracket for em.

You better damn well take pics of how you set the whole thing up! Show us how you make, or where you get brackets for em. Or if I'm the only one interested in that aspect just PM how you set em up to me! :wave:

Of course, I'll post pics of how I do everything. For now I guess I'll have to wire them to my parking lights cause I wont use any switch other than OEM ;)

Time to scavenge the JY!

knarg
11-24-2008, 01:52 PM
...uhhh PICS NOW XCODYX

w261w261
11-24-2008, 04:43 PM
<< For now I guess I'll have to wire them to my parking lights cause I wont use any switch other than OEM >>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO NO NANETTE!! The parking lights, and a bunch of other lights go through fuse 14 (at least in my '89), which is 15 amps. I suspect your fogs are 55 watt bulbs, which is (2*55 watts)/12v=9 amps. This does not leave much for everything else, and as a bonus, you might cook your headlight switch.

You need to wire in a separate circuit with a relay. You get the control voltage from the parking light circuit, then run a 10 or 12 gauge wire (with a 15 amp inline fuse) from the battery, through the relay, to the fog lights. The relay functions like an automated switch, with the low power (the voltage in the parking light circuit) causing the relay to close, which directs the high power from the battery circuit to the lights.

Especially don't mess with the circuits that go through the headlight switch. It might not fail immediately, but the switch is the weak point. Our cars do not have headlight circuit relays, so everything goes through the switch.

You might want to consider putting in a separate control switch for the fogs, rather than having them come on with the parking lights. I'd love to be able to flash other cars sometimes, but because of the retractable headlights, it's a chore. That knockout in the dash by the cruise control switch is where the OEM fog light switch goes. I bought one from a member here, or you can get them on eBay. If you did it this way, you might be able to run the battery circuit right through the OEM fog light switch to the fog lights. I don't off hand know what the rating of the switch is, but I would imagine the OEM lights were 55 watts, so it should be OK. If you use another switch, just make sure it's rated at a mimimum of 15 amps. I'd also go with the 10 gauge wire, because there's more length involved.

codyJDM
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
<< For now I guess I'll have to wire them to my parking lights cause I wont use any switch other than OEM >>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO NO NANETTE!! The parking lights, and a bunch of other lights go through fuse 14 (at least in my '89), which is 15 amps. I suspect your fogs are 55 watt bulbs, which is (2*55 watts)/12v=9 amps. This does not leave much for everything else, and as a bonus, you might cook your headlight switch.

You need to wire in a separate circuit with a relay. You get the control voltage from the parking light circuit, then run a 10 or 12 gauge wire (with a 15 amp inline fuse) from the battery, through the relay, to the fog lights. The relay functions like an automated switch, with the low power (the voltage in the parking light circuit) causing the relay to close, which directs the high power from the battery circuit to the lights.

Especially don't mess with the circuits that go through the headlight switch. It might not fail immediately, but the switch is the weak point. Our cars do not have headlight circuit relays, so everything goes through the switch.

You might want to consider putting in a separate control switch for the fogs, rather than having them come on with the parking lights. I'd love to be able to flash other cars sometimes, but because of the retractable headlights, it's a chore. That knockout in the dash by the cruise control switch is where the OEM fog light switch goes. I bought one from a member here, or you can get them on eBay. If you did it this way, you might be able to run the battery circuit right through the OEM fog light switch to the fog lights. I don't off hand know what the rating of the switch is, but I would imagine the OEM lights were 55 watts, so it should be OK. If you use another switch, just make sure it's rated at a mimimum of 15 amps. I'd also go with the 10 gauge wire, because there's more length involved.

Don't worry, I will be using a relay along with appropriate gauge wiring. I will more than likely have the OEM switch by the time they get here due to the fact that the JY is right down the road from me

Thanks for the words of wisdom though. :thumbup:

86ccord
11-24-2008, 07:15 PM
lol that took a whole two mins.. :D

cant wait to see them bro!

LxAcc510
12-02-2008, 09:24 PM
where they at cody? haha