PDA

View Full Version : cold start issue - starts, idles, then dies =(

l75eya
11-23-2008, 07:00 PM
I thought it was just the choke, but apparently it's not. It's the first winter I've had the car for, and apparently it hates the cold as much as I do.
It''s been sitting for two days, it starts up absolutely fine. After it starts, it'll slowly up the idle the warm the car up, but as that process begins, it'll suddenly lose revs and then stall, so basically it'll run for about a minute. If I try and give it any gas while that's happening, it'll immediately bog down and stall. After that it'll start again if I don't give it any gas, but just stall right away. I I don't know what it could be, I'm guessing it has something to do with an adjustment being made because of the cold weather, because if I let it sit and get real cold again, it'll start, and the process repeats. Carbed dx.
=( ideas?

DEEGO
11-24-2008, 08:25 AM
I thought it was just the choke, but apparently it's not. It's the first winter I've had the car for, and apparently it hates the cold as much as I do.
It''s been sitting for two days, it starts up absolutely fine. After it starts, it'll slowly up the idle the warm the car up, but as that process begins, it'll suddenly lose revs and then stall, so basically it'll run for about a minute. If I try and give it any gas while that's happening, it'll immediately bog down and stall. After that it'll start again if I don't give it any gas, but just stall right away. I I don't know what it could be, I'm guessing it has something to do with an adjustment being made because of the cold weather, because if I let it sit and get real cold again, it'll start, and the process repeats. Carbed dx.
=( ideas?

I had a similar problem, I had a vacuum leak. I would say check that first.

greentee76
11-24-2008, 01:45 PM
My first thought is a vacuum leak as well. If nothing is obvious externally I'd say you probably have a leaking diaphram for the choke puller. If you have a vaccum pump you can test it.

russiankid
11-24-2008, 02:19 PM
My first thought is a vacuum leak as well. If nothing is obvious externally I'd say you probably have a leaking diaphram for the choke puller. If you have a vaccum pump you can test it.

Even if it was leaking the car should run somewhat with his applying throttle?

greentee76
11-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Depends on how bad it's leaking, these engine really seems to be effected badly by vacuum leaks. Also if the choke plate is closed all the way opening the throttle only dumps more fuel into an already air starved engine.
Just my 2 cents.

canadian357
11-26-2008, 08:29 PM
mine does the same thing. Starts normally, runs for 15 seconds, dies. Starts up again right away and dies right away. On the 3rd try, like clockwork, its a bitch to start but when it finally does it stays running.

l75eya
11-30-2008, 09:47 PM
these engine really seems to be effected badly by vacuum leaks.

My god how true. I've never seen an engine with so many fucking hoses lol.

Also if the choke plate is closed all the way opening the throttle only dumps more fuel into an already air starved engine.
Just my 2 cents.

That does make a lot of sense. I think the choke was opening like it was supposed to when I hit the gas though.
Since I posted this, it's stopped doing it, no leaks, from what I can visually and audibly tell. It *might* have just been bad gas and thus a false alarm, as it was low at the time and had some shit i've never used before in there.
On the other hand though, it's warmed up since then and therefore hasn't been under the same conditions. (The car also started running again before putting more gas in only after the weather warmed back up.)
Guess I'll find out next time it gets into the 10s. Hopefully I won't have to go anywhere immediately if so lol Hope you get your problem worked out shenanigans

canadian357
11-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I've just been dealing with it because I havent had the time to go through every one of the 70000 fucking vacuum lines on this car. If I cant fix this, then i'm doing my brakes and upgrading.

canadian357
11-30-2008, 09:54 PM
by the way, its been the same up here. Its gotten much better since its warmed up. Unfortunately, up it butt-fuck-monton, its still like 3 degrees C