PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new carb.. Need sugestions plans and such..

zigzag
11-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I want to purchase a new carb but im not sure how big of a carb i can go with and what would affect mpg the most.. Using phone to post this thread.. Should be getting internet back tuesday.. Bare with me please..

Vanilla Sky
11-23-2008, 10:25 PM
I'd go with a 36/32 Weber. You won't really have a drop in fuel economy, and you'll get a good bit more pep.

2oodoor
11-24-2008, 04:22 AM
^^^ weber 32-36 increase in fuel economy over a decrepted oem carb.

Weber 38 would be my choice though, as long as you stay out of the throttle and drive normal it gets about the same mpg as the smaller one,and if you do run her out once in a while you won't notice a big change just 27-28 mpg instead of 29-40 mpg.

zigzag
11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
29-40! Shit i get 22 city and 27 hw. What the hell you doing lol is it possible to get up to 135 hp from the 90 hp i sit at now? I tell you im scared to enter the highway sometimes.. Feels so underpowered.. Any good edlebrock carbs i can go with? Or do you prefer weber?

turabaka
11-24-2008, 12:51 PM
29-40! Shit i get 22 city and 27 hw. What the hell you doing lol is it possible to get up to 135 hp from the 90 hp i sit at now? I tell you im scared to enter the highway sometimes.. Feels so underpowered.. Any good edlebrock carbs i can go with? Or do you prefer weber?

Weber makes a kit so we can just bolt up the 32/36 or the 38 Weber. If you want to use Edlebrock you'd need to build a custom manifold or mod the existing one. I'd go with the 38 Weber though. Good power increase, and fuel economy is about the same. I installed mine last year, and it feels like a whole new car now.

zigzag
11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
so where would i find this kit for the 38? does it just go right in or would i have to make some space for it? whats the usual pricing for the 38 and kit? link to a good site? wont have net till saturday....

ghettogeddy
11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
ummm first what state do you live in

2oodoor
11-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Weber makes a kit so we can just bolt up the 32/36 or the 38 Weber. If you want to use Edlebrock you'd need to build a custom manifold or mod the existing one. I'd go with the 38 Weber though. Good power increase, and fuel economy is about the same. I installed mine last year, and it feels like a whole new car now.

Installed a 38 I bought for another car on my stock a20a1, just for kicks and giggles. It has been on it ever since. It totally changed the personality of the car. No dyno but the butt dyno feels no less than 20 hp increase and bunches more drivability. It can pull from 40 mph in 5th gear with NO BOG or rejection what so ever, amazing. This car as no other mods, not even exhaust.

A20A1
11-25-2008, 09:07 PM
the 38 isn't sold in a complete kit unless you can ask that the 38 be substituted for the 32/36 in a 32/36 kit. The parts can be a fair bit cheaper though if you shop around. The adapter plates usually sells for $50. But that was like 6 years ago... not sure what it costs now. Cheap 38's can be found on ebay but buyer beware of the condition it's in.

Check your coolant level and check for vacuum leaks.

zigzag
11-29-2008, 10:06 PM
yay i finally got my internet back!!!! anyways went through about a half a tank of gas in 145 miles.... pretty bad and still trying to find out why my mpg sucks so bad.... tires are balanced and rotated.... new plugs wires cap and rotor.... i do need to check the fuel filter.... is it possible the valve gapings got out of wack again? we set them correctly.... meh ill figure this out later....

so no complete kit i have to find it on ebay?

88Accord-DX
11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
The whole kit from redline or carbsdirect will cost a fortune. Basically, you can get a 32/36 off ebay for cheap or new depending on how much you want to spend. The linkage, rebuild kit & adapter plate you can get from JAM engineering, but you have to call them to place the order. They don't list the adapter plate on their web site. Just rebuild a 32/36 weber, it's basically a good cleaning of the internal parts. Here is the link to JAM. http://www.jameng.com/
I forgot, that you can use the round piece off the old carb for full the throttle part, but you'll need the piece for the cable to attach too in the linkage kit.

Here is what you'll get minus the carb.
EDIT- the price for the adapter plate is about $55
linkage was around $12
32/36 rebuild kit around $30
Total bill was about $100

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/weberrebuildkit.jpg

zigzag
11-30-2008, 07:33 AM
i see.... so will thoes parts only work for 32/36 or will they work for a 38 as well?

88Accord-DX
11-30-2008, 10:10 AM
i see.... so will thoes parts only work for 32/36 or will they work for a 38 as well?

The only thing the same is the linkage kit, the rest you'll need the 38/38 adapter plate & rebuild kit. Sure JAM carries that too.

2oodoor
11-30-2008, 03:53 PM
The only thing the same is the linkage kit, the rest you'll need the 38/38 adapter plate & rebuild kit. Sure JAM carries that too.

I did not know there was a 38 adapter plate, I always dremel the 32/36 plate to match the intake and carb thottle plate. The plate needs opening up for the two LARGE chokes. Also the partition integrated to the manifold needs to be dremeled out to eliminate the secondary passage , make it one large plenum.
It is not a big deal except for removing the manifold so you do not get metal shavings in the motor n what have you. You could do without cutting out the partition but the plate will have to be opened up to match the carb.

zigzag
11-30-2008, 06:24 PM
now that i have the internet i can finally ask.... every once in a while my car jumps to 4K rpms and stays there for a few minutes.... i alway warm up my car in the mornings to full temp.. and i know usually when its going to happen it will warm up really rough and shakes quite a bit.. when it warms up it hesitates alot when i start to drive it and a little down the street it will kick my rpms up and when i put it in park it shoots to 4K and it wont go down.. the only way to get the rpms back to normal is if i stomp on the gas petal off and on for about 3 minutes till it corrects itself.... then it drives fine from then on....

it only happens maybe once a month.... any idea what it might be?

zigzag
12-02-2008, 09:17 AM
running great now.... having a knowledgeable mechanic stop by my house this weekend to properly adjust my carb.... thank god been getting 19 mpg city.... bleh i would rather have my old 23 mpg city back lol.... still cant figure out why my car jumps in rpms on me sometimes....