PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing on timing cover

nsstech
11-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Every time I have done the timing belt on this car (400k miles, I know this car pretty well) I always notice a gash in the timing cover from where the serpentine belt rubs on the timing cover. The serpentine belt rubs in between the water pump and crank pulley, if that helps. Is this a common problem? All the pulleys and belts line up just fine. I am doing the timing belt again next week and it would be nice to have a serpentine belt last more than 3 months before replacement.

Oldblueaccord
11-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Yep mine does too. I tired a brand new cover and its rubbed thru as well. Mine is not bad enough to do anything to the belt. Dunno what the fix is.

wp

russiankid
11-24-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't have this problem. Not even sure what would cause it.

Demon1024
11-24-2008, 05:41 PM
2 of mine did 2 of mine didn't. gotta make sure the gasket under the cover seats very well and isn't swollen from oil. if it's dry a little gasket sealer on the cover to hold the gasket all the way down helps alot. once they free up from it they don't usually just grab hold again.

Keachman1
12-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Mine did the same thing. I found that there was a spacer missing on the alternator. It goes behind the bracket on the top bolt. It's about 1/4" thick (basically a thick washer). Without this spacer, it pulls the alternator pulley over enough to rub the timing cover. Most people don't notice it when it falls off when they replace their alternator and install it without the spacer. You are talking about the drive serpentine belt aren't you?

2oodoor
01-13-2009, 08:16 AM
spacer behind the water pump pulley too

2ndGenGuy
01-13-2009, 08:27 AM
My water pump pulley was rubbing through mine on my 1gee. And I've seen lots of Honda crank pulleys rub through the timing belt cover. I just don't worry about it really. It will burn out until it quits rubbing, then it will be fine. :)

Belt might be another story. I'd just watch the belt and make sure it doesn't burn up. Or shim the pully like these guys said. It's probably from heat distortion of the plastic cover over time.

AZmike
01-23-2009, 05:29 PM
spacer behind the water pump pulley too

None of the 3 A20s I've dealt with had a spacer behind the water pump pulley. All had a shared triangular washer that sits under the three bolts that hold the pulley on.