PDA

View Full Version : crank bolt

chero
11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes,I dropped the water pump bolt on my son's 87hactchback.which way does the crank bolt come out?needs new gasket anyway.:uh:

Oldblueaccord
11-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Lefty loosey. Maybe a magnet? Take the top timing belt cover off and peak down there.

wp

Dr_Snooz
11-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Lefty loosey. Maybe a magnet? Take the top timing belt cover off and peak down there.

wp

Good call OldBlue. Harbor Freight sells the long flexy rods with magnets on the end for real cheap. Try snaking it down there first. You might also just remove the bolts around the bottom of the cover and see if you can pry it open enough to get it to fall out.

Otherwise, you're in for a lot of work and if you're going that far, might as well do a full timing belt service.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :welcome: Let us know how things end up.

88Accord-DX
11-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Yep, lefty bolt. I agree, might be able to fish a magnet down & snatch it up.

Hope you got a good impact hitting some serious torque w/ impact socket, because usually the crank bolt is on real tight, like breaker bar & socket busting tight.

Demon1024
11-27-2008, 01:21 AM
three shops three broken bolts later and i tried taking a broken socket and securing a metal screw down fastener around it and viola! + 4 ft breaker bar of course. good luck!

Dr_Snooz
11-27-2008, 01:57 PM
three shops three broken bolts later and i tried taking a broken socket and securing a metal screw down fastener around it and viola! + 4 ft breaker bar of course. good luck!

I think I'd have a nice chat with whoever put that on last. There's no excuse for that.

chero
11-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks,all.Since I only have 32'' breaker bar,I used an impact socket and hammer impact.4 good hits with 5# did it.now he's getting a new belt while I'm in here.On the bolt..thought I might be dealing with something like a 413 left-handed chrysler ag motor,didn't want to tighten it.
Now I'm going to kiss my 62 ranchero right on the modded 6 banger.

lostforawhile
11-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks,all.Since I only have 32'' breaker bar,I used an impact socket and hammer impact.4 good hits with 5# did it.now he's getting a new belt while I'm in here.On the bolt..thought I might be dealing with something like a 413 left-handed chrysler ag motor,didn't want to tighten it.
Now I'm going to kiss my 62 ranchero right on the modded 6 banger.
get a new timing cover gasket set,nappa has em and make sure the cam or main seals aren't leaking while you are in there. did you get a belt or a set,you can get a set with a new belt and a new tensioner.

russiankid
11-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Replace the tensioner while you're there. The previous owner's mechanic didn't do it and only replaced the belt. 30k miles later, my tensioner went.