PDA

View Full Version : Need info on dyno tuning

YK86
09-25-2002, 05:50 PM
I found a shop that does dyno tuning (by the hour) so I'll be taking my car there to get the B20 fine tuned after getting it running. What I was wondering is how long does an average session take for a car/motor like mine?? I don't want to go in there expecting it to take 1 hour when it's actually 3. They also mentioned a wide band air/fuel ratio will cost extra but I'm not 100% sure what this is. Is this for fine tuning the air/fuel levels so it won't run too lean or rich if you have a programable ECU?? Or is this something that's reccomended on all cars??

guaynabo89
09-26-2002, 11:15 AM
Up in Pa there was a shop that charged 125 an hr for a tuning session. As far as how long does it take it all depends on what you plan on doing. I dynoed my car about 2 yrs ago and it took an hour just to set the fuel pressure and timing. So on your car if you want to fiddle with your cam timing it will probably take at least 2 hrs. In an hrs time I think I got in about six runs.

The wideband o2 sensor is worth it if you have the money. Basicly it can accurately meausure what your air fuel ratio is so you wouldn't need as many runs playing with the fuel pressure to get it right.

YK86
09-26-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info! Don't have a adjustable FPR so I can't really play around with it....

rallyeNate
09-26-2002, 08:50 PM
narrow band O2 sensor suck, not good for tunning. they really only tell you if your rich or lean, not how much. the wide band will accualy tell you how much, it gives a number. here is a link that gets more in depth
http://www.lambdaboy.com/wide.html

night
09-26-2002, 09:13 PM
if you dont have gears, some cams and any real performance mods done you are wasting your money....

A20A1
09-26-2002, 09:23 PM
no he's not.... baseline dyno is important and after rebuilding a motor for a swap it's good to know you are getting the most out of your time and money.

If you read the Autometer chart and use the air fuel guage and have a multimeter you can find out the mixture in numerical values.

YK86
09-26-2002, 10:22 PM
This is exactly what the B20A will have when I take it in:
adjustable cam gears, performance cams, port and polished head, lightned flywheel, bored throttlebody port matched to the manifold, hopefully complete headers (not just B20 manifold bolted to the A20 DC downpipe), intake, and the 2.25" exhaust I already have. I mainly just want to get the gears adjusted properly along with anything else that may need a bit of tweeking. Getting some real numbers on a dyno is also a bonus so I don't think it'll be a waste.

night
09-26-2002, 11:51 PM
ok then with gears and cams its definitly worth it. just no point with a stock engine.

rallyeNate
09-30-2002, 12:16 PM
also you can get a little more power and tell if the cam is to big or to small for the car by adjusting the valve lash. pick up the latest HOT ROD for the in depth artical.