PDA

View Full Version : Whats This Part???

SILENT
11-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Alright guys i need your help on this one... The spring is this part is bad and causing my idle to jump from 1 to 2. I was told is was the iacv but its not so i need your help on this one!!!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/0x_Lisa_x0/3geez1.jpg?t=1227758350

Dr_Snooz
11-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Fast Idle Valve.

Pico
Fast Idle Valve according to the Shop Manual
edit: the Dr Beat me by a 1/2 sec

SILENT
awesome thank you!!!

SILENT
11-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Alright guys heres the story. Well i took out the 2 screws to get to the spring and I took it out and sprayed it with some throttle body cleaner. I then put it back. Figuring it help the idle get back to normal... but it still continues with the jumping idle. So I pushed the spring in and the idle went back to normal... im guessing the spring it self is not compressing... so i guessing i need a new one... huh???

2drSE-i
11-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Yea, just go to a junkyard and yank one out. Shudnt be too hard to find one in good shape.

SILENT
11-26-2008, 08:37 PM
will one from a 4gee do the job???

Dr_Snooz
11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Fast Idle Valve according to the Shop Manual
edit: the Dr Beat me by a 1/2 sec

Heh heh! :bandit:

Dr_Snooz
11-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Alright guys heres the story. Well i took out the 2 screws to get to the spring and I took it out and sprayed it with some throttle body cleaner. I then put it back. Figuring it help the idle get back to normal... but it still continues with the jumping idle. So I pushed the spring in and the idle went back to normal... im guessing the spring it self is not compressing... so i guessing i need a new one... huh???

Well...you're not supposed to disassemble that, so yes, now it's toast. To diagnose you remove the cover and start the engine cold. You should be able to feel air flow with your finger.

In general, bouncing idle problems are causing by a mis-adjusted IACV screw, or low coolant.

DBMaster
11-26-2008, 09:43 PM
They're not even that expensive new. I replaced mine with a new OEM part several years ago for less than $40.

Demon1024
11-27-2008, 01:39 AM
what do you mean you dont disassemble them? i never had a problem. i guess if you messed the threads it would cause a problem, but what else can you break on them?
i've got three here man $20. you could just block the hole to fix the idle problem, but you'd have to help it warm up from then on.

Dr_Snooz
11-27-2008, 01:55 PM
what do you mean you dont disassemble them?

Not sure. The manual says they are adjusted at the factory and shouldn't be disassembled. :dunno:

Demon1024
11-27-2008, 10:55 PM
That warning has never stopped me from taking something apart to see if it would work when i put it back together :)
i clean mine when i do the iacv

Civic Accord Honda
11-27-2008, 11:02 PM
i adjusted mine before without hurting anything lol

YK86
11-28-2008, 03:04 AM
All you need to do is turn the black ring inside the thing clockwise until the idle stops jumping. That ring backs itself out over time and causes the plunger in the middle to not seal properly causing the bouncing idle. You can use 2 flatheads or one big one to do this. It's free and 90% of the time will fix the idle problem caused by the FIV. It's a very common problem on all older Hondas.

We are lucky with the 3rd and 4th gens because you can access it with it still mounted. The h22's and simular motors have them mounted facing the firewall (pain in the ass).

mushroom_toy
11-28-2008, 07:35 PM
All you need to do is turn the black ring inside the thing clockwise until the idle stops jumping. That ring backs itself out over time and causes the plunger in the middle to not seal properly causing the bouncing idle. You can use 2 flatheads or one big one to do this. It's free and 90% of the time will fix the idle problem caused by the FIV. It's a very common problem on all older Hondas.

We are lucky with the 3rd and 4th gens because you can access it with it still mounted. The h22's and simular motors have them mounted facing the firewall (pain in the ass).

This will probably fix your problem, but instead of screwdrivers just use a quarter to do it very easily. Also you may have to adjust your regular idle screw on the throttle body in conjunction to adjusting the fast idle.

YK86
11-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Hmm, a quarter. Never though of that! Good advice.