PDA

View Full Version : Block rebuild Question(s)

AccordB20A
11-30-2008, 12:16 PM
ok with my b20a being rebuilt teh soon im going to have a lot of questions so it will be good to ask and have them all answered in here.
Question1:
I have a block plained, cleaned and ready to go but the crank and old bearings have gone missing, CAN I Pull the crank from another B20A engine and use it in this different block without any issues. I understand the oem honda bearings are colour coded am i right? aparently i have to use the bearings that match the crank?
i just need to know this now as i dont wanna fuck something up and have the engine fail once all put together.

thats all for now

2oodoor
11-30-2008, 03:47 PM
ok with my b20a being rebuilt teh soon im going to have a lot of questions so it will be good to ask and have them all answered in here.
Question1:
I have a block plained, cleaned and ready to go but the crank and old bearings have gone missing, CAN I Pull the crank from another B20A engine and use it in this different block without any issues. I understand the oem honda bearings are colour coded am i right? aparently i have to use the bearings that match the crank?
i just need to know this now as i dont wanna fuck something up and have the engine fail once all put together.

thats all for now

Get to know how to use plastiguage, check all bearing / journal mating surfaces.
What happend to your old parts? look under the couch.. lol
I would make sure the mains and caps all fit, there is some reason they do the color code thing, maybe an assembly plant thing to insure tolerances per block-crankshaft-rod clearance..

AccordB20A
11-30-2008, 09:10 PM
still confused lol

Hauntd ca3
11-30-2008, 11:21 PM
most motors these days have all the crank journals measured at the factory and they match a bearing to each journal to get the right clearance.
you will need to get your crank measured and ground if need be.
take the block and rods you are going to use as well cause they will need to put bearings in them and torque them up to measure the bearing crush.
when they do this they'll also check for oval and true so a line bore might be needed
once they have both the journal sizes and bearing crush measurements they can either machine each journal to get the clearance right or some real old school guys will shave the bearing surface to do the same.
i reacon %90 of building a good motor is mostly in the measuring and machining
work out a budget a double it is good rule of thumb

AccordB20A
12-01-2008, 12:42 AM
sounds like a definate "let someone else do it" job lol

Dr_Snooz
12-01-2008, 08:28 PM
I used a crank from an '81 for my '82 rebuild. Worked great. I had all the block prep done by a local machine shop along with the pistons. I couldn't begin to tell you what they did to make it all work, but it did. I used standard bearings in a kit from Napa, so I know they didn't use odd bearings to take up any slop. I plastigauged everything and it all went swimmingly. That was such an awesome car.

Hauntd ca3
12-01-2008, 09:51 PM
i'm not a huge fan of plastigauge eh.
i just have a feeling that they dont read right for some reason.
far prefer a good set of micrometers.
and yeah, that's what machinists are for .
just give them the block,crank and rods and they'll do it all.
they'll measure everything anyway so measuring with plastigauge is just wasting your own time and money

cygnus x-1
12-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I see plastigage as more of a final check during assembly to make sure everything is kosher. Mistakes happen even to the best of us.

And yeah, unless you have the right tools and can use them properly (even with micrometers there is some technique involved) it's good to have a shop check out everything. But you can save a fair bit of money by doing the assembly yourself. It's not that hard really. Just take your time and be meticulous about keeping everything clean.

As for swapping cranks, you can absolutely do that as long as the journals are all in spec. A shop should be able to tell you that, and can check the balance too.

C|