PDA

View Full Version : 89 Lx alternator removal

Jeffrey803
12-01-2008, 10:09 PM
I have read that the only way to remove my alternator on my 89 LX (carb car) was to remove the half-shaft,i do want to tell everyone that if you remove the 2 bolts from the driver's side motor mount and put a block of wood on your floor jack you can jack up your oil pan about 1 to 2 inches and say hello to your alternator that will be laying on the ground by your driver's side tire in 5 minutes tops.Good Luck! i had my alternator in my hands and battery out and on charger in 30 minutes.

LUX88LXI
12-01-2008, 10:21 PM
THANK YOU! lol... I was about to take a flame thrower to my car. that will be much easier than taking the stupid half shaft out.

Jeffrey803
12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
At first before i even loosened one bolt i came in here to get advice on removal,all i kept reading was, remove axel.i'm like nooooo way! i thought about it a bit and went and got my floor jack and a piece of wood to protect the oil pan took out the 2 bolts and walaa.i have a bad diode in mine and now i'm doing research and comparing reman. vs. rebuild.the rebuild guy i took it to is going to have an estimate for me tomorrow.he told me i my need a stator also.he said by the time he's done may be cheaper to just buy a reman,but also told me they were junk.
I really need a pull-it yard near me.alternators go for like 10.00.

Jeffrey803
12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
one quick note,remove battery terminals before you do anything under your car,you don't want to be loosening your alternator wires with power still there,also a breaker bar is your best friend for some of the tougher bolts(motor mount) alternator bracket i had to take mine off the block gave me more room,it really isn't a bad job at all,just take your time and do it right,remember where all your bolts go on installation.
don't go jacking up the motor too high or you risk disconnecting vaccum lines and such.1 to 2 inches is plenty,when lowering your motor it should line right back up with your mount.no struggling to realign motor with mount.Good Luck!

Hauntd ca3
12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
rebuilt altenators are only as good as the parts and the person doing the work.
i havnt had one i've rebuilt come back to me yet.
if it needs a stator or a rotor, throw it away and get another
they tend to be the most expensive bits

Jeffrey803
12-01-2008, 11:56 PM
The guy i took mine to was up in age and was very informative.i was there for a hour,he told me my stator looked like it was getting hot and was discolored.and if he puts new diodes in the stator might be next to go.
I went to O'reilly's to have my charging system tested and the guy testing said my battery,starter,was good and alternator was putting out good but then i said,it says bad diode and he said oh yeah.but my alternator was still putting out 14.0v with no accessories on.
Anyone no a good reman alternator? i read advance and autozone were garbage,heard napa was decent.

evil88accordLX
12-02-2008, 09:06 AM
i have never had a problem with an autozone alt on any car ive owned. had to take 3 back to O'reillys though.

ghettogeddy
12-02-2008, 09:46 AM
to be honest id rather remove the axle then the motor mount lol
id did this on my on 88lx and i did not have to take the axle all the way out just took the axle nut off and then took it about half way out

Dr_Snooz
12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Go with Napa.

Jeffrey803
12-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Well,i am having the diodes put in,50.00,plus he said he would check the brushes,bearings,and whatever else,it did show up as bad diode.he said the stator was questionable because of the discoloring.he told me it could last 2 days or 5 more years.I just don't have the money right now to go Napa or i would,with Christmas so close,this 50.00 is going to break me.

Jeffrey803
12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Got my alternator back today,1 hour later it's in.charging great
My rebuild guy told me 60.00.he put a brand new diode in that he had to wait 1 day to have it shipped to him.i asked him how the brushes where,he told me he put new brushes,bearings,coated the stator with some special sealer for electrical items,(sprays on,like paint) cleaned it all up,damn thing looks brand new.hopefully my honda troubles are over for now,got a jeep cherokee that needs a rear main seal,like a year ago.uses more oil than gas.I love my Accord LX.