PDA

View Full Version : Another way to remove an alternator

LXrocks
12-02-2008, 07:19 AM
About a week and a half ago I replaced the alternator on our 89 LX and I thought I mention how I did it on here because it might help if someone else needs to replace one in a similar car. I wasn't crazy about removing the drive shaft and stuff and the firewall method didn't look that great ether so after a little work I was able to get it out from the top of the engine. I removed the air filter housing and half of the vacuum lines above the alternator. i then removed the ACV-B (I think that's what it is called) and the other white vacuum thing near it. I also removed the water pump pulley so i would have more room. Then I removed the belt and unbolted the alternator and was able to get it out though to top of the engine. it was a tight fit but it worked. I'm not too sure how long it took because it was cold and i was working on it off and on but if i had to guess i'd say 2 to 4 hours.

oh if anyone deciteds to try removing the alternator this way there is a bracket for the power steering lines that is bolted to the driver side shock tower (or whatever it is called) and you will have to remove those bolts along with the metal vacuum lines that are right there.

hope this helps.

evil88accordLX
12-02-2008, 09:02 AM
you can also get it out through the drivers side wheel well WITHOUT removing the axle. there is a casting tab on the block. it prevents the alt from being able to be passed over the axle and out of the wheel well. if you file this tab off you can get the alt out without having to take anything off the car.

carotman
12-02-2008, 12:28 PM
On carb cars, I route it through the right side, near the heater hoses. It's a bit tight in there but still can pass.

ON my EFI, it passes right behind the intake.

Jeffrey803
12-02-2008, 08:15 PM
If you jack up your oil pan with a floorjack and a piece of wood to prevent damaging it,all you have to do is remove the 2 motor mount bolts on the driver's side, lift the motor 1 to 2 inches and your golden in 5 minutes.hope this helps,worked like a charm for me.89LX.Carb Car.

Dr_Snooz
12-02-2008, 08:30 PM
About a week and a half ago I replaced the alternator on our 89 LX and I thought I mention how I did it on here because it might help if someone else needs to replace one in a similar car. I wasn't crazy about removing the drive shaft and stuff and the firewall method didn't look that great ether so after a little work I was able to get it out from the top of the engine. I removed the air filter housing and half of the vacuum lines above the alternator. i then removed the ACV-B (I think that's what it is called) and the other white vacuum thing near it. I also removed the water pump pulley so i would have more room. Then I removed the belt and unbolted the alternator and was able to get it out though to top of the engine. it was a tight fit but it worked. I'm not too sure how long it took because it was cold and i was working on it off and on but if i had to guess i'd say 2 to 4 hours.

oh if anyone deciteds to try removing the alternator this way there is a bracket for the power steering lines that is bolted to the driver side shock tower (or whatever it is called) and you will have to remove those bolts along with the metal vacuum lines that are right there.

hope this helps.

If you jack up your oil pan with a floorjack and a piece of wood to prevent damaging it,all you have to do is remove the 2 motor mount bolts on the driver's side, lift the motor 1 to 2 inches and your golden in 5 minutes.hope this helps,worked like a charm for me.89LX.Carb Car.

That's some good thinking. Thanks for the posts and welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

Jeffrey803
12-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome Dr snooz.hope my way helps many!

JuJus88Accord
12-27-2011, 03:33 AM
you can also get it out through the drivers side wheel well WITHOUT removing the axle. there is a casting tab on the block. it prevents the alt from being able to be passed over the axle and out of the wheel well. if you file this tab off you can get the alt out without having to take anything off the car.

could you possibly take a picture of the tab? (even if shaved)
please and thank you!!

rocketman
12-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Wouldn't you like to meet the engineer who designed the placement of the alternator? I've replaced mine once and now have a lifetime warranty on the present one . . but that won't cover removal and installation. It's a real bitch. I'll keep this post in mind for future reference as the axle removal way seemed like such a pain to me . . . just for an alternator. Reminds me of once helping a friend change an alternator on a Ferrari he was working on . . . a similar nightmare! Rocketman

vteckiller
12-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Wouldn't you like to meet the engineer who designed the placement of the alternator? I've replaced mine once and now have a lifetime warranty on the present one . . but that won't cover removal and installation. It's a real bitch. I'll keep this post in mind for future reference as the axle removal way seemed like such a pain to me . . . just for an alternator. Reminds me of once helping a friend change an alternator on a Ferrari he was working on . . . a similar nightmare! Rocketman

Autozone lifetime warranty? 90$ with your old one for core charge. And the alternator is easily removed by removing airbox and pull it out.. Easy as that.. Don't see why it's such a "pain" for most.

Dr_Snooz
12-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Because you have the FI model. It's butta' on the FI cars. It's a nightmare on the carbed cars.

rocketman
12-28-2011, 05:59 AM
My '89 Accord DX is carb'd and the alternator replacement is a real BITCH. Don't know about the FI's, but mine is a lousy job. Thanks for the alternate removal/replacement ideas . . . always glad to try something different and I know that I'll probably have to replace the alternator again before I retire the '89 . . . it only has 540,000 miles on it and I expect to go for a million. Rocketman

JuJus88Accord
01-03-2012, 01:05 AM
any pics of shaved tab for carbed?

ecogabriel
01-03-2012, 08:20 AM
My '89 Accord DX is carb'd and the alternator replacement is a real BITCH. Don't know about the FI's, but mine is a lousy job. Thanks for the alternate removal/replacement ideas . . . always glad to try something different and I know that I'll probably have to replace the alternator again before I retire the '89 . . . it only has 540,000 miles on it and I expect to go for a million. Rocketman

FI are easier if one removes the air filter box.

540K miles? Wow! I may have a lot of miles left in my car (only has 141k miles)

myaer10
01-06-2012, 12:12 AM
I just replaced the alternater on my 89, not fuel injected, and really wasnt all that hard. Just removed both heater hoses, and the hose bracket, and the alternater came out the top passenger side with no issues. No need to remove the axle, and tie rod? Some cut up fingers, and cleaning my tools took awhile. Would like to find the person who decided to locate the alternater in such a cramped area tho! Good luck!

Jeffrey803
01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Try my way on a carbed car and you will see how well it works,replaced mine in 30 minutes.

JuJus88Accord
01-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Try my way on a carbed car and you will see how well it works,replaced mine in 30 minutes.

could you take pictures/reference of the bolts to remove?

poncho-lx
01-25-2012, 08:14 PM
to remove the alternator on my accord is necessary to release the brackets, and upload :chainsaw::rocket:

gyates93
02-03-2012, 09:00 PM
By the sound of this discussion, I'm glad that my car had a new OEM alternator put in by the previous owner this year!

Jeffrey803
02-08-2012, 06:02 AM
could you take pictures/reference of the bolts to remove?

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner,

First thing is remove Negative battery cable
Then jack car up to get under to disconnect ALT wires,whatever brackets that need to be removed,let alternator hang

Lower car,put floor jack with wood block under oil pan,remove the 2 bolts holding the driver's side motor mount,jack motor up slowly about 2 inches,
reach up and pull old ALT out,SET new ALT in same area
Lower motor into position slowly to line up your motor mount bolt holes,Jack car up again and remount the new ALT,wires,belt,lower car,reattach Negative battery cable,pat yourself on the back,you just saved a ton of money doing it yourself.